Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Farm fresh egg's??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1042073)

HEATHER78 08-01-2010 11:27 PM

Farm fresh egg's???

I have three kiddo's and a dh that love egg's and could eat a dozen in a day. I am wondering if anyone buy's or has there own chickens and thinks that it's worth it to buy farm fresh egg's compared to store bought.

Nightowl Jan 08-01-2010 11:56 PM

Re: Farm fresh egg's???

Are you kidding!? Farm Fressh for sure! I know that the store eggs are usually already a few weeks old by the time they shelve them... Farm fresh eggs also have higher nutrition and stuff like that...the yolks are always orange not yellow and the flavor is astounding! My 7 year old can tell the difference between store and farm eggs. If you can get chickens...do it! There is nothing better plus you can control what they eat...a total bonus!

tesslouise 08-02-2010 06:03 AM

Hubby has been resistant to buying farm fresh eggs, grass-fed beef, whatever--until he tastes it, then he agrees that it's worth the extra money! :)

It's hard when money is tight--you want to buy the healthiest of whatever your family eats the most of, but buying the healthiest of whatever they eat the most of gets expensive quickly.

rylan'smomma 08-02-2010 09:02 AM

Oh my goodness! Farm fresh is the best! A co-worker has chickens and she sells a doz eggs for $4. They are so awesome and worth the extra $$. They have never gone bad because they are so fresh. Store bought can be anywhere from 5-6 weeks old before they get to the shelves. Try it! You will love it!

Crow Mountain Crafts 08-02-2010 09:25 AM

We have chickens. 6 hens and 2 roosters and we get about 2 dozen eggs a week, sometime more. We live on a pretty large farm in the country and the chicken are free range. They have a coop with laying boxes in it that they usually roost in at night and almost always go to lay their eggs. Occasional we have one go missing for a few months and she reappears with a bunch of chicks.
It is worth it to us, but they arent much work when they are free range. We have considered getting another dozen hens so we could sell the eggs.

Kinda OT, but...
We also have free range goats too. They are super fun - so many uses. I make my goats milk soap from their milk and my 19 month old loves to drink goats milk.

HEATHER78 08-02-2010 11:50 AM

Thanks everyone we will be going to pick some up today 2 a dozen sound great to me for vegatarian fed free range to me. No chance for us to have chickes we live in a town home or I would totally do it...lol!!

HEATHER78 08-02-2010 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisanjason (Post 10874458)
We have chickens. 6 hens and 2 roosters and we get about 2 dozen eggs a week, sometime more. We live on a pretty large farm in the country and the chicken are free range. They have a coop with laying boxes in it that they usually roost in at night and almost always go to lay their eggs. Occasional we have one go missing for a few months and she reappears with a bunch of chicks.
It is worth it to us, but they arent much work when they are free range. We have considered getting another dozen hens so we could sell the eggs.

Kinda OT, but...
We also have free range goats too. They are super fun - so many uses. I make my goats milk soap from their milk and my 19 month old loves to drink goats milk.

I love goats milk! My son drank this as a toddler since he was lacto intolerant so rich and creamy.

ariannasmommy22 08-02-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisanjason (Post 10874458)

Kinda OT, but...

Soooo jealous! I wish I could have a goat or a cow so I didn't have to pay $6 gallon for fresh, real milk. But it's totally worth it.

The farm fresh eggs are awesome! I keep mine in my pantry and they are good for a month. I always try to buy local!

HEATHER78 08-02-2010 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariannasmommy22 (Post 10879203)
Soooo jealous! I wish I could have a goat or a cow so I didn't have to pay $6 gallon for fresh, real milk. But it's totally worth it.

The farm fresh eggs are awesome! I keep mine in my pantry and they are good for a month. I always try to buy local!

Wow... so no need to refridgerate? That is awesome since my fridge is always packed to the brim in the summer with these hungry kiddo's!

shannon658 08-02-2010 07:49 PM

We love farm fresh eggs. You'll notice the difference as soon as you crack one open - a much brighter yolk!

We actually buy all our meat and eggs from a local farmer. We buy in bulk so it ends up being about the same price as if we bought it from a store. We try new things, know its source exactly, and support a local family which farms sustainably, humanely, safely, and naturally. And since the animals are grass-fed, it's healthier too. Win-win!