Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   PLEASE help me make a monthly menu! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1042249)

stewartjess 08-02-2010 09:21 AM

PLEASE help me make a monthly menu!

Okay mamas, I'm DESPERATE. This is a bit embarassing, but it is what it is!

Let me first explain that since we've been married there has always been one of us at home to take care of the house, do shopping, cooking, etc. My husband had to go back to the office and it's opposite my shift. SO - I feel like things are getting out of control. No - I don't feel like it, they are. And I don't want a cluttered house with laundry piling up and nothing for dinner.

My husband is now home in the evenings with the kids so I need to be able to have a menu planned, shopping done, and food either made ahead for DH to re-heat OR simple things he can make that are nutritious. We're not adjusting well to our new schedules and I don't want this hectic mess for our children.

Would anyone be willing to share their monthly menu and shopping list? We do all meals at home.

Also - would you share how you and DH handle home chores? Our kids are so young that the chore thing is difficult for them. I feel like I'm just following the toddlers around and picking up after them all day instead of doing anything that needs to be done in the house. :( I'm very discouraged.

mmmarmalade 08-02-2010 09:47 AM

Re: PLEASE help me make a monthly menu!

I don't have a meal plan to help you, but you can check out $5dinners.com. She has GREAT ideas, including easy, nutritious, cheap meals. I'm really lucky because my DH loves to cook, so I never worry when I have to leave as soon as he gets home (which is 3-4 days a week, so I TOTALLY know where you're coming from! :))

I just wanted to offer some :hugs: since I'm totally right there with you, chasing toddlers around all day making sure they don't kill themselves, and doing chores just to have them undone as soon as I finish!

stewartjess 08-02-2010 11:53 PM

any menus mamas? new recipes?

2queens&1princenmyhouse 08-02-2010 11:58 PM

:hugs: I'm sure that is super frustrating. For menus, I don't do a monthly-I do weekly, but you can check my blog for ideas if you wish. I try to be thrifty.

Also, there's the cockpot365 blog that would be good. If you could throw food in the crockpot in the am, then you could dish yourself some up to take to work and DH and the kids could have it for dinner.

For chores, would it be feasible at all to have some sort of weekly calendar that has cleaning jobs/tasks to be done and then you check them off as you can get to them during the day? Then your DH could check the list through the evening if there is any time (after the kids go down) and do a few things too. I would do it by priority, so the most important things do get done and if the shower (or some lesser thing) goes a couple weeks w/o being cleaned, so be it.

kocho 08-03-2010 05:40 PM

((HUGS)) Mama. That has to be hard. DH is encouraging/demanding that I go back to work soon and I can see our lives becoming just as chaotic. I can also see me working full time and still being expected to do all the cooking cleaning and so on that I do now. sigh.

I don't so much do a menu. I should, but I never seem to get to it. I can share a few simple recipes. But first how does your family eat? Meat or non meat? Do you guys eat fish? I have a few easy microwave fish recipes that are soooo simple.

I agree that the crockpot can be your friend while you transition. Through a roast in there with some potatoes and carrots and you have a yummy meal with very little effort. Sometimes I throw a frozen roast in my crockpot before I go to bed with more water then usual and it's done when I get up. When I do that I usually don't do the potatoes and carrots, but instead make instant mashed potatoes (Those betty crocker bags) and open a jar of gravy and then heat up some corn.

Gerdgrid 08-03-2010 05:43 PM

You might poke around on Once a Month Mom. She has monthly menus, complete with grocery shopping list, recipe and prep instructions to make it all in one day and have a stocked freezer.

E~rin 08-04-2010 08:29 PM

Hear are a few ideas I had for quick healthy meals which can be made vegetarian, or with meat depending on your family...
Breakfast...Cold cereals, granola with fresh organic fruit/nuts, Hot Cereals, not just your ole' quaker oats YUCK!, try something different like "Bob's Red Mill" mighty tastey hot cereal it has whole grain brown rice, corn, sorghum, and Buckwheat, and is gluten free! Eggs and Veggies, Kale spinach, mushrooms, if someone "doesn't like veggies", ask them "what is wrong with you" Just kidding, grate them in a hand grater, and cook them first, they will have a very smooth consistency and be more unnoticeable. Omlettes, Scrambled, or on top of overmed is my personal favs. Quiche, easy as pie : ) Bagel with cream cheese, smoked salmon, butter and jelly, PB&J, Yogart is always good in the AM...

Ok Ok, on to lunch/Dinner

This time of year as the fall approaches, a good SALAD is always good, but make it really really healthy, buy or even better GROW (trade your ornamental patio plant for outdoor patio garden space) your own lettuces of all types, sprout your own sprouts, top with walnuts, pine nuts, dried fruits, or fresh fruits, apples raisins, cranberries, mandarin oranges, feta cheese, carrots, avocado, tomatoes, hard-boiled egg... for the meat eater, chicken can be nice, or a nice can of eco-fished tuna is a great way to get protein, and omegas!!! Sprinkle with a little flax or CHIA seed action and your good to get creative and make your own exciting dressings too, its so easy the base can be vinegar and olive oil...
PASTA dishes galore, and they go over great with the young ones: Veggie lasagna , Spaghetti, shells and cheese and broccoli, oven baked delights, chicken devon (really good)!!!

For starters,

My #1 recommendation for anybody who may have to prepare a meal or a thousand meals, would be get a copy of THE JOY OF COOKING by Irma S. Rombauer and Marion Rombauer Becker. THis is the BIBLE of cooking for one or an army...

I hope this inspires you a little!!! It was fun to write, and

Happy Culinary Creations to ALL

Leocaligirl 08-08-2010 10:50 PM

Quesadillas, burritos, taco salad

Grilled sandwiches on whole grain bread
grilled veggie
turkey, cheese and avocado

Whole wheat pasta with veggies and marinara sauce or pesto.

Homemade soup
Potato
Broccoli and cheese
Minestrone
Black Bean
Chili

Grilled chicken w/cream of mushroom soup over brown rice & broccoli

Soaked oatmeal with any of the following
fresh fruit
dried fruit, (raisins, goji, blueberries, cranberries)
hemp seeds, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, pepetis
almonds, cashews, walnuts
You can sweeten it with agave or honey. I also float some rice, almond or coconut milk on top.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!