Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   who has a good Quinoa recipe? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10451)

wbkt8 05-31-2006 04:11 PM

who has a good Quinoa recipe?

i have some organic inca red quinoa that i cooked upin lieu of rice the other day. thought it was pretty good, but i didn't try anything particularly exciting with it.

anyone have a recipe using quinoa that they really love?

SandyG 05-31-2006 06:34 PM

Re: who has a good Quinoa recipe?

you can add it to your soups, that is what i do.

keegans_mommy 05-31-2006 07:29 PM

You can use quinoa in place of rice in anything ;)

We just had it tonight. I have the recipe in a thread in OD under, what's for dinner-wednesday :D

We had enchilada's tonight but we also use it in place of rice in oriental recipes and as a side dish. We love to replace the water with chicken stock and a slice of butter ;)

MamaLove 05-31-2006 07:53 PM

It's really nice and fluffy when you lightly fry it up before adding the water. I like to add nuts (especially cashews), peas, corn, or tomatoes. Raisins are nice for a sweet bite, and any veggies or seasonings you like, too. I love curried coconut veggie dishes.

Did you know that quinoa is a complete protein? Like rice needs beans to be a complete protein, but quinoa is complete by itself. :thumbsup:

lararum 06-03-2006 07:44 PM

quinoa makes great tabbouleh. That has always been my fave recipe for it.

keegans_mommy 06-04-2006 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaLove
Did you know that quinoa is a complete protein? Like rice needs beans to be a complete protein, but quinoa is complete by itself. :thumbsup:

Yup! :thumbsup: Touted to be one of nature's super foods! :D

lissa~K 06-17-2006 07:03 PM

Just tried a really great salad sort of thing yesterday at Trader Joe's. It has canned/prepared things, but still pretty healthy I think!
It just had (all from trader joe's obviously)

half a box of fast cook Quinoa
a drained can of sweet corn
a drained can of black beans
a tub of fresh salsa
and a bunch of cilantro dressing

I made it at home and it was super yummy here too, but a little more "wet" than in the store, so maybe next time, I'll use less dressing and drain the salsa first.

We ate it plain, and in whole wheat tortillas. I think It tastes better cold.

funkygranolamama 06-24-2006 08:52 PM

OHhhhhhhhh I love quinoa!
My favorite recipe is making stuffed peppers with it. You make it like any other old stuffed pepper recipe, but the filling consists of:
quinoa
fresh corn
feta cheese
olive oil
little bit of fresh cilantro
sea salt and pepper to taste
garlic
chickpeas
I'm a very unconventional cook-- I just kind of throw how ever much of each ingredient I want in there, so I have no particular measurements to give you.
Try it--it's awesome!

Sarah 06-24-2006 09:05 PM

I've never tried cooking Quinoa,but Quinoa sprouts are awesome. They sprout super fast and are nice sweet lil sprouts

mlgbug 06-24-2006 11:49 PM

my inlaws are from peru and we eat quinoa every monday...they say monday is the best day to eat it cause it prepare you for your week.lol. i dont know but when i was preg...i craved it. lets see, we boil it for a long time you know till the water starts to go away. be careful it burns easy. then you mince some onions and peppers really tiny....those go in towards the end. let them cook then add about half a can of condensed milk....this is if you are making alot of quinoa...ajust to how you like it. keep stirring....salt pepper. we also put chunks of spanish cheese in it. spanish cheese doesnt melt so its great for this. any questions pm me