Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Calling all vegetarians and vegans! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1045514)

Michelle_M 08-06-2010 11:31 AM

Calling all vegetarians and vegans!
 
So, we are omnivores over here, but eat too much meat and too few whole foods.

I'd like to eat healthier by eating less meat and more whole foods.

I was wondering if some of you might be willing to share your favorite main dishes, so that maybe 2x-3x a week I could do a vegan or vegetarian meal for dinner.

My husband would not be willing to give meat up completely. When I suggested a few meatless nights, he looked at me like I had just said something completely crazy! So I'd like to find some dishes that my carnivore would be willing to "settle" for. LOL

Someone has already suggested burritos with black beans and sweet potatoes, which sounds really yummy... as well as a "mexican style" black bean and rice dish to be eaten as is or as a burrito stuffing.

I have also heard tomato and avacados on tortillas for a vegan quesadilla.

A few times a week, for lunch I give my kiddos crackers, cheese and fruits/veggies. And they LOVE peanut butter, so they usually have at least one peanut butter sandwich a day.

So.... please post your favorite recipes here... .and if you have carniverous husbands, who love a particular meatless dish, I'd love to see that too.

Thanks!
God bless!

GreenDahlia 08-06-2010 11:45 AM

Re: Calling all vegetarians and vegans!
 
My husband LOVES these black bean burgers and actually prefers them over burgers made with meat http://www.democraticunderground.com...&mesg_id=17651

We do pancakes and waffles at least once a week

Mac and "cheese" http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=31729.0

Mexican food, pasta, and rice are all easy to base meals around.

Casseroles are also good and easy to make
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=16758.0
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=6867.0

As you can see, I love vegweb! Some things are very good and some are not. It's fun to try new recipes.

Michelle_M 08-06-2010 12:26 PM

Re: Calling all vegetarians and vegans!
 
the black bean burgers look awesome. Thanks so much for your ideas!

God bless!

LoveThyScent 08-07-2010 04:29 PM

Re: Calling all vegetarians and vegans!
 
My hubby said that when I went vegetarian 11 years ago. He was a bloody steak guy. Well a few years later he went veg lol.I refused to cook him any meat too, he did it all himself haha. You can't go wrong with a great veggie stir fry that is our main food for dinner every night. I love it with tofu though!

3rockstars 08-07-2010 04:34 PM

Re: Calling all vegetarians and vegans!
 
http://www.food.com/recipe/Va-Voom-Veggie-Burgers-38532

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=27266.0

3rockstars 08-07-2010 04:35 PM

Re: Calling all vegetarians and vegans!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle_M (Post 10912572)
So, we are omnivores over here, but eat too much meat and too few whole foods.

I'd like to eat healthier by eating less meat and more whole foods.

I was wondering if some of you might be willing to share your favorite main dishes, so that maybe 2x-3x a week I could do a vegan or vegetarian meal for dinner.

My husband would not be willing to give meat up completely. When I suggested a few meatless nights, he looked at me like I had just said something completely crazy! So I'd like to find some dishes that my carnivore would be willing to "settle" for. LOL

Someone has already suggested burritos with black beans and sweet potatoes, which sounds really yummy... as well as a "mexican style" black bean and rice dish to be eaten as is or as a burrito stuffing.

I have also heard tomato and avacados on tortillas for a vegan quesadilla.

A few times a week, for lunch I give my kiddos crackers, cheese and fruits/veggies. And they LOVE peanut butter, so they usually have at least one peanut butter sandwich a day.

So.... please post your favorite recipes here... .and if you have carniverous husbands, who love a particular meatless dish, I'd love to see that too.

Thanks!
God bless!

if you are going vegan, be careful with the tortillas because a lot of them have animal fat/lard in them.

Michelle_M 08-07-2010 06:52 PM

Re: Calling all vegetarians and vegans!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FaeryGnomeHome (Post 10922003)
if you are going vegan, be careful with the tortillas because a lot of them have animal fat/lard in them.

Yeah, another vegan I've been communicating with mentioned that to me, so I actually checked the brand that I typically buy, and they are made with vegetable shortening. Thanks for thinking to give me the tip though!

God bless!

LoveThyScent 08-07-2010 06:59 PM

Re: Calling all vegetarians and vegans!
 
I've never seen tortilla's with lard, but yuck lol

3rockstars 08-07-2010 07:34 PM

Re: Calling all vegetarians and vegans!
 
agreed, disgusto. but you'd be surprised. :giggle:


how bout this recipe? Looks awesome but I've never tried it. Can't wait until those chilly winter days!

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=31406.0


This one I have tried and it's fabulous! Maybe as a side dish with the meat as the main dish for the carnivores and this is the main dish for the veggies?

http://happyfoody.blogspot.com/2006/...d-lentils.html

Michelle_M 08-08-2010 05:00 PM

Re: Calling all vegetarians and vegans!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenDahlia (Post 10912689)
My husband LOVES these black bean burgers and actually prefers them over burgers made with meat http://www.democraticunderground.com...&mesg_id=17651

We do pancakes and waffles at least once a week

Mac and "cheese" http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=31729.0

Mexican food, pasta, and rice are all easy to base meals around.

Casseroles are also good and easy to make
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=16758.0
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=6867.0

As you can see, I love vegweb! Some things are very good and some are not. It's fun to try new recipes.

I'm making the black bean burgers for dinner for myself tonight. Can't wait to try. I only have dried beans, so I soaked then last night and they are cooking right now.

I MAY have to wait and do them tomorrow...but hey, that's fine too:)

Thanks!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors