Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Circumcism rates are dramatically falling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1046839)

Dmpmercury 08-08-2010 01:07 PM

Circumcism rates are dramatically falling

One of my friends just shared that cirumcism rates fell from 56% in 2006 to 33% in 2009. Keep spreading the word because it is working. A majority of boys are now intact. I was so happy to hear this I shared it on facebook. I usally stay away from topics like that but I am so stoked. Link is below

http://www.mdconsult.com/das/news/bo.../220621/1.html

JAG's baby mama 08-08-2010 01:17 PM

Re: Circumcism rates are dramatically falling

Can you post the whole article? I am not am member and am not allowed to see it all.

Thanks!

Zandersmommy09 08-08-2010 01:24 PM

there is nothing wrong with circumcising my boys are circumcised!!

Calideedle 08-08-2010 01:36 PM

That is so awesome, wonderful, fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully it will continue to drop.

burnsis 08-08-2010 01:39 PM

very good news indeed!

purpledayz 08-08-2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zandersmommy09 (Post 10927774)
there is nothing wrong with circumcising my boys are circumcised!!

Personally I feel that it should be something that people have to choose to do, not have to choose not to do. Does that make sense?

----edit----
I realized it might not make sense :) DS isn't circ because we didn't feel it was necessary. After choosing not to circ I learned more about it and I am happy with our choice not to.

I feel that the majority of people don't research this procedure and most parents circ just because it's what you do. For instance the hospital called us before DS release because they must have lost his permission form for a circ. It would be better if the norm was to leave things alone unless there is a problem so the parents who circ would be informed. I don't feel it's a terrible thing to do for religious reasons or health reasons if you go into it knowing the facts.

Fairycat 08-08-2010 01:41 PM

I think that those who circ to make them look like other little boys are going to be shocked when they send them to school and their boys are actually in the minority. With less state insurance and others paying, more people are learning that their is almost no medical reason to circ, and just not doing it any more. I think it will be interesting to think when this generations woman are becoming adults, they will almost never know a man with a cut penis, instead they will mostly only know what a natural way God made them look like, penis looks like.

Bethan_77 08-08-2010 01:43 PM

There are lots of problems with circumcision, whether or not you circumcised your boys and the state of your dh's genitals. There are so many mamas on this board whose DS have major problems following the procedure. The fact that circumcision rates are dropping mean parents are being educated about circumcisions unnecessary nature and they are following evidence-based research regarding their sons health and psychological, physical and sexual well-being. They are also respecting their sons autonomy and ability to cut off their own normal, perfectly functioning body parts at their sons own discretion.

I understand that circumcision is a legal procedure that parents elect to have done, but to say there is nothing wrong with it is unreasonable and unresponsible. I understand you wish to defend the choice that you and dh made (or was socialized onto you) but to say there is nothing wrong with it is simply untrue and reeks of miseducation. It reminds me of people who say things like "cloth diapers are bad for the envirnment because you have to wash them" and "formula is better for babies than breast milk because it measurable and has vitamins."

All that said, my dh is pro-circ, I am against. I am trying to educate him on the issues now, before our ds is born and this becomes a major argument when he arrives. I will not sign for my son's functioning genitals to be peeled and sliced without my sons permission. This is a hot button issue for me at this point, so I am sorry if I offend you, but please, back up your statements with modern science.

Zandersmommy09 08-08-2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpledayz (Post 10927875)
Personally I feel that it should be something that people have to choose to do, not choose not to do. Does that make sense?

yeah makes sense that YOU feel that way but not all people feel the way you do and I just hate threads like this because they end up to where people start comparing it to horrible things and accusing those that chose it as a right decison for their boys of abuse etc ...why even start threads like these :banghead: just to start drama!

yeah I know Im the one falling into the drama so Im off to another thread carry on to your excitement :goodvibes:

rsu 08-08-2010 02:05 PM

I just have to throw my 2 cents in and say that the only one who really benefits from circumcism is the doctor who gets paid to do it...and the hospitals who get to charge their costs for the procedure...so I'm just saying that there will probably be a big backlash of lobbying from those who benefit from the cost of this elective procedure.