Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What are you teaching your child (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1049957)

mcpforever 08-12-2010 03:25 PM

What are you teaching your child

if you have him do half of his homework and fill the rest of it in for him, because "He's already mastered it and it's really only busy work any way."?

Put aside whether or not you like the idea of classrooms, homework, or even busy work. What is this telling the child?

poopstermomma 08-12-2010 04:08 PM

Re: What are you teaching your child

Hi. third grade teacher for 7 years.

I say it teaches poor work ethic, it undermines the teacher's powers (since she asked the child to complete the work independently), and it fosters a sense of irresponsibility. (If i don't do it, mom will.)
Just my two cents!!

My hope would be that the teacher has issued a reasonable amount of work, and considers the practice necessary. ( I know that this may not be reality. Just my hope!)If the child has mastered the skills, then they should be able to complete it quickly and feel successful. Sadly, teachers have a hard time individualizing work and assessing individual progress on a daily basis. A little more review won't hurt anyone!

That said, if you feel the work is excessive, speak up in a non-confrontational way. It may turn out that this is work that the child refused to finish in class, or that the teacher has not seen mastery in at school. Or it may turn out that the teacher believes in lots of homework. At least you'll know what you're up against.

logansmomma07 08-12-2010 04:28 PM

What about those teachers that assign HOURS of homework, when the child has already spent 8 or so hours a day in school?

I don't necessarily agree with parents doing homework for their kids, but seriously, the amount of homework kids (in general) are being made to do is beyond ridiculous. No child should have to spend his entire day and weekend doing schoolwork that they will forget in a week anyways.

jessicap 08-12-2010 04:46 PM

I personally think that it teaches that child that it is okay to halfway do things in life and someone will always be there to bail them out. That there is no such thing as integrity, it is okay to lie and take credit for someone else's work.

I think that it also teaches a child that there is no place for mundane work that is not necessarily challenging to them. We as adults have mundane work given to us all the time, diaperchanging, dishes, some different work situations, etc.

I think all around it is going to raise a spoiled selfish adult that is going to have a shocker when they get to reality of being an adult.

jessicap 08-12-2010 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logansmomma07 (Post 10963974)
What about those teachers that assign HOURS of homework, when the child has already spent 8 or so hours a day in school?

I don't necessarily agree with parents doing homework for their kids, but seriously, the amount of homework kids (in general) are being made to do is beyond ridiculous. No child should have to spend his entire day and weekend doing schoolwork that they will forget in a week anyways.

I think that this is where parents need to step in and say, umm, yea I just wanted to talk to you about the amount of work my child has been bringing home. Do you think that we can have a minute. I just really want to stay on top of my child's education while understanding and respecting you have a job to do, so can we schedule a meeting? And hash it out. If that doesn't work, rally parents together and go from there.

Arabesque 08-12-2010 05:46 PM

I think it teaches children that they don't have to do something as long as they can find someone else to do it for them. Maybe that makes them good management potential :giggle2:

But seriously, in the real world, sometimes you have to do work that you think is pointless and stupid, but your boss told you to do it.

If you do think that the homework is excessive, you should still make sure your child completes it on their own, and speak to the teacher and maybe the principal about the amount of school work.

doodah 08-12-2010 06:20 PM

It teaches amongst other things, that you don't have to respect authority. Giving the idea that how you feel about something or how it affects you personally gives you the right to change the rules. The end justifies the means. You don't have to necessarily respect or follow the teachers instructions and worse, can even then give the illusion that you are (aka lying). If you (general you) and your child are having difficulty with the workload, there are other steps to take besides being deceitful and yes, putting a child's name on the work and then doing it yourself IS deceitful. Even if your child doesn't know you did it, you know. Integrity is vital. You can't teach that to your child if you yourself don't have it. As you can see, I feel really strongly about integrity. What you do when no one is watching is who you truly are.

mcpforever 08-12-2010 07:34 PM

Thank you for your replies, ladies. This was actually suggested to me as a solution to the amount of work DS1 is required to do in lieu of an IEP that would reduce the amount of work he is assigned. Apparently an IEP is some sort of evil buggaboo that labels you for life and cripples your ability to function as a person. I had to end the conversation after that as I thought I might lose it.

luvsviola 08-12-2010 07:50 PM

What I would say to the director of special education is that I demand my child be tested. Then they legally have 60 days (or whatever it is in your state) to complete a full evaluation.

But by doing the child's work for him/her tells the child that they are in charge, and are the ones determining what they will and will not do, which is dangerous IMO.

ktmelody 08-12-2010 07:53 PM

I think homework is ridiculous and should be done away with. :D That said, I dont think parents should do homework for their children either. If its required, then the student is to do it with parent guidance. I HATED seeing all those art projects so perfect that NO kindergarten student could ever do on their own...looked like a dang Picasso...my sons looked like a 5 year old did it, because HE DID.

We homeschool now.