Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Veggie Meals? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1050999)

Bethany89 08-13-2010 07:53 PM

Veggie Meals?

For the sake of our food budget.. and the fact that I am going to be buying a new car that cost more.. I am trying to cut down on the amount of meat that we eat which I think is better for us anyway
But I need some good meal ideas because the only thing that I think of with veggies is stirfry or pasta.. So.. ideas ladies please?!

ADS 08-13-2010 08:23 PM

Re: Veggie Meals?

Veggie Panini
Bean and Cheese burritos
Homemade veggie pizza

aylasmommy 08-13-2010 08:41 PM

Risotto with fresh peas or mushrooms
the no salad salad- basically a bunch of veggies cut up and tossed together like a salad (radish asparagus green beans carrots tomatoes etc)
lentil soup
spinach quiche
veggie shepards pie

TheLittleButtonBakery 08-13-2010 08:47 PM

Beans will provide protein. Brown Rice is filling and healthy.

macysmama1206 08-13-2010 08:59 PM

We make a lot of meals with just veggies, they are delicious too!
Spinach lasagna, spinach quiche, broccoli quiche, black bean enchilidas, minestrone soup, just to name a few. Check out Kraftfoods.com and myrecipes.com they both have meatless sections that have great suggestions!

Jana14 08-13-2010 09:01 PM

I like to use lentils in place of ground beef. One of our favorites is lentil tacos.

Bethany89 08-13-2010 10:31 PM

Ok.. I feel kinda dumb lol what is lentils?

veveland 08-14-2010 09:27 AM

Lentils are a kind of a cross between a small pea/bean. Lentil tacos are delicious!

We also sometimes do mexican rice and beans and then put out a bar of condiments (salsa, cheese, sour cream, etc....) and make our own.

Bean and cheese burritos are great. Also anything with eggs (as a protein, they are much cheaper than any other).

If budgeting is your issue (and not an interest in going vegetarian), then you should take a look at my blog. We've been force to do some serious food budget re-vamping and we've cut our costs by 40%. www.cheerasyoufly.blogspot.com I also add new recipes when we try them. Good luck!

aiyana4969 08-16-2010 07:37 AM

meatless chili, meatless working barn stew, stuffed pepper enchilladas, Cheesy bean and rice borritos, tostadas or make a nice bean dip with torilla chips (wo do alot of our shopping at Sam's Club so we get rice, cheese sauce, tortilla chips, frozen/canned veggies in bulk). Vegetable alfredo (I know you said no pasta but it's good anyway, I make my own sauce), curries, soups, mediteranian style dishes, if they call for meat just omit it.

I couldn't stand the sight of meat when :preggo: we got alot of our protien from beans, peanut butter, nuts, and milk products (not a huge fan of eggs, I'll use them in recipies like muffins but not in regular cooking). Most people get way more protein than needed anyway. But if your still eating meat dishes a couple time a week that'll help to oif you are not a fan of beans, eggs, dairy etc..

Bethany89 08-18-2010 08:51 AM

My DH isn't a huge fan of beans - but i guess if I don't tell him they are there lol we can see if he can like them.. He is as he says "red-blooded american grown" lol and he "needs" meat.. well I am fine without it.. so I still have to make some but I figure even half of the week no meatless dinners, then then the other half do meat.. it'll save some money at least..