Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   how old=bunk bed? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1051187)

mrseum 08-14-2010 08:22 AM

how old=bunk bed?

How old do you think your child should be before you put them in a bunk bed? 2? 3?
I REALLY want to get that bunkbed from Ikea for DS. lol. (I KNOW he's too young.)
We're TTC, and while I love the idea of him using the bottom as a play area, his sibling could sleep there after a yr. (Of course, I know that could be a bad idea if DS gets into the habit of trying to hurt baby.
When they're both old enough they'll have two and use the bottoms as play areas because we'll be in a 1 bedroom for a long time, I'm sure!

kittyn 08-14-2010 08:44 AM

Re: how old=bunk bed?

I may be paranoid, but I'm still debating on rather my four year old could 'handle' having a bunk bed. It's what he wants, but he's also a typical, hyper, little boy. The kind who likes climbing, jumping, rolling around, and wrestling (So, basically just likes giving the Mommy a heart/panic attack at least once a day :))

So, I'd say it depends on the kid. If they can physically manage it (Up and down, on their own, without incident) and will actually listen to and follow instructions on minimizing injuring themselves, it should be ok, I'd guess.

I just know that at 4 mine is only bordering on being able to meet my requirements, and he seriously -wants- a bunk bed. No real reason for one in our situation, but that's what he wants as his 'big bed', so we'll probably just hold off until I think he 'gets' it.

mrseum 08-14-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittyn (Post 10977349)
I may be paranoid, but I'm still debating on rather my four year old could 'handle' having a bunk bed. It's what he wants, but he's also a typical, hyper, little boy. The kind who likes climbing, jumping, rolling around, and wrestling (So, basically just likes giving the Mommy a heart/panic attack at least once a day :))

So, I'd say it depends on the kid. If they can physically manage it (Up and down, on their own, without incident) and will actually listen to and follow instructions on minimizing injuring themselves, it should be ok, I'd guess.

I just know that at 4 mine is only bordering on being able to meet my requirements, and he seriously -wants- a bunk bed. No real reason for one in our situation, but that's what he wants as his 'big bed', so we'll probably just hold off until I think he 'gets' it.

Haha, yeah! DH jumped off his bunk and cut his head on the light, so I understand!! If I get this bed, I'll get the tent thta oes with it, so really, he wouldn't be able to jump off of it!:thumbsup:

amanda_rocks 08-14-2010 08:48 AM

I got my oldest one when she was 5 and then her younger sister had to move in with he and we had to take it apart and just have 2 twin beds- the 3 year old fell through the ladder a few times. later in life we moved and the then 3 year old was 5 and again sharing a smaller room with her sister and we found a really cool one at rooms 2 go that had an actual stair case instead of ladder and it had a desk too! it was perfect- so I would say around 5 works for us.

jbaxter 08-14-2010 09:06 AM

Actually 6 is the recommended age to safely have bunk beds. MANY MANY ER injuries happend every year from little ones falling off or getting stuck in bunk beds. Even if you try to keep a sibling off the top it usually doesnt work.

Zandersmommy09 08-14-2010 09:32 AM

we are just now thinking of getting Jacob bunk beds and he is going to be 6 in september I would not have let him have them at any younger age than 5 for sure but I may be a little overprotective :goodvibes:

3rockstars 08-14-2010 10:03 AM

We got bunk beds when my middle daughter was just under 2 1/2. She took the bottom bunk and the 7 year old took the top bunk. When the baby was born, that shifted everything. Now the oldest is 10 and has a twin bed, the middle is 5 1/2 and has the top bunk and the littlest is 2 1/2 and has the bottom bunk. She was in the bottom bunk at 19months and that moved the middle girl up to the top at 4. We took off the ladder when we got the beds because it kept the little ones from climbing until they could climb the beds themselves(only for a few months really). But honestly, I would wait until age 4 or so(depending on their climbing ability) to have a child use the top bunk. My youngest is 2 1/2 and she goes o the top bunk to play sometimes(though she's not supposed to) but I would not be comfoirable letting her sleep up there. If she had to come get me in the middle of the night, I would be worried about her falling. I would wait until age 3 at the very earliest, most likely 4.

ETA that the reason my 2 year old isn't allowed on the top bunk is not because she isn't good at clmibing up there. she is. But we live in a 900sqft 2 bedroom home and in order to keep the peace, there's gotta be a place that each child can go to get away from her sisters and be alone. They all share a room and two share a closet so the only logical spot is their beds. They are not allowed on each other's beds for ANY reason whatsoever, end of story. And if someone is on their bed, you aren't allowed to touch them, likewise for toys in someone's bed. That's "safe space" in our home.

Maverick's Mama 08-14-2010 11:00 AM

Honestly, our 5 and 7 year olds can't even handle a bunkbed. We bought one and they were just too rough/scary on it. Legs going through the ladders, using it as a jungle gym when we weren't watching, etc. So we sold it on craigslist and bought a trundle daybed instead. We don't have the space for two twins.

myblessedbaby 08-14-2010 12:21 PM

We got bunkbeds that can separate into two twins. Right now we only have the top bunk piece set up for my toddler as a twin bed, that way it already had safety rails. We plan to put both kids into the same room in a few years and will put the bunk beds together then.

dragondance 08-14-2010 02:08 PM

Mine are 2 & 4 (birthdays next month) and they just started in the tiny IKEA Kura bunk bed. :thumbsup: We had a strict NO JUMPING discussion/enforcement the first day and since then no issues, so far!