Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Finding a new career! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1055040)

GrumpyJoy 08-19-2010 02:43 PM

Finding a new career!

Ok, so I can't find a new career right now, but I can prepare for it. I am pregnant and due in November so I wont be looking for a new job until Jan - Feb. But I really hate my job, and am only here for a paycheck. People walk all over me and I am to the point that I dont care anymore. I just want a new job. I have been here for 9 years and I am sick of it. I feel bad for the people i supervise because they dont know what I will be leaving them with. I do not talk to them about the issues that I have.

Anyway, I am starting a side business selling CDs locally so that will bring in somthing extra. But I am the bread winner in the fam otherwise I would just SAHM and learn to cut costs in other ways, but I cant.

I am in IT, and pretty introverted so its really going to be hard to find another career and even to sell CDs. But I will make it happen.

marvelous 08-21-2010 10:21 PM

Re: Finding a new career!

Just posting to wish you the best. It is a HUGE deal (to me anyway) to step out and do the CD thing. I thought about it this summer and had lofty ideas, but just couldn't go for it. I also would like another job. I don't hate my job, but I don't love it either so I can understand being the breadwinner, but feeling like you do not have many options because of that.

In prepping for a new career, start researching or talking to people in a field you might be remotely interested in now. That way you can figure out if is something worth pursuing or if you should think about something else. I honestly hope you find your dream job! Good luck!

hikergal73 08-26-2010 12:58 PM

Can't offer much for advice but wanted to wish you luck.

I like my job but I sometimes fantasize about selling CD's locally, too. I think they would be good market here. Or wish I was crafty enough to sell WAHM wares.

Maybe you can partner with a friend who can do more the people side of the business while you do more behind the scenes work? Just a thought. I don't know much about starting a business but it might worth looking into if that's what you really like to do.

hikergal73 08-26-2010 12:59 PM

double post

IsaacsMom2009 08-26-2010 03:39 PM

I work in IT as well and am the sole 'bread winner', so I feel your pain. My DH stays at home and does classes online while the baby goes to daycare. I would much rather be at home with the baby than be at work and have him in daycare, but my DH does not have the skills I have, so I have to work.

It's rough being responsible for supporting the family when all you want to do is stay home with your baby.

I'm not sure what you do for IT, but my boss was so desperate not to lose me that he arranged for me to work from home. He bought the equipment and set up the infrastructure for me to troubleshoot and implement from a remote location. Now that I am pregnant with baby #2 everything is all in place for me to 'disappear'.

Maybe you could look into being a remote customer service tech? I'm not sure of your qualifications, but I'd bet Best Buy or some other places might be looking for tech support. And sometimes you don't even have to talk to people! They have chat tech support now too.

klc92201 09-18-2010 09:05 PM

I'm not in IT but understand your frusrations. I was very blessed with my previous job and worked from home and my DD's only went to a MDO program when I did have to go into the office. So now that is gone and I'm back in a regular job which I like but it is hard to give up my freedoms I had and wish I still had it. HUGS!

I just went through a job change and looking and I would say don't give up a good job as the market is really weird right now. I would start looking and putting some feelers out. If you need extra classes or experience try to get it on the side or even part time to get in somewhere else. I would hate to say give up your maternity leave but if you could find something part time from home to get your foot in the door it might be worth it later. Could you do your current job from home? What if you took a slight pay cut to not manage people and do you stuff from home?

Mommimi 09-20-2010 08:52 AM

I work in High Tech, not IT (that's DH) and one good thing about IT is what PP said there are IT jobs with WAH options or partial telecommute. Not certain what your skills are but you could look into changing companies or different IT track vs a brand new untested business, especially if you are the primary income earner. And if you do decide to sell CD FT - try it out while you are still on maternity (or extended maternity leave) and see what money you can earn from it before quiting.
Telecommuting option is one of my criteria when I was looking for a new job after being laid off. I was actually able to get a flexible job, reasonable workload, good pay, telecomutting option (just Fri for now, but I am earning my place to telecommute more often), and change my career path into the direction I wanted. You can too! I was laid-off in Feb of 2010 and by Feb of 2011 I was back at work. I got the "right" job, not just a paycheck (turned down several offers) but it was a good choice because now I am happy (and grateful). The economy is rough right now so be ready for some rejections before you can get the right gig.

meeshkasheeba 09-21-2010 11:30 AM

re you looking for a career change or just a change of employers? If you are just changing jobs, get your resume up to date and sparkling, but if you are really looking for a new career, what are you interested in?

SCMommaof2 09-26-2010 02:53 PM

good luck momma!

shootingstarlet 12-07-2010 07:55 PM

I am currently a SAHM for this year (my son's first year of life) but need to either go back to work next August or find a job that I can do from home and stay with my son. I am really not crazy about putting my child in daycare. I have 2 degrees in education, any work from home suggestions?