Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   9 month old won't stay on belly? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1055321)

tjoy 08-19-2010 11:24 PM

9 month old won't stay on belly?

DS is 9 months old and refuses to spend any time on his belly. Once he figured out how to roll from front to back that was it for him! I've tried putting a rolled up towel under him, using a boppy pillow...he can still roll over! Short of physically holding him down while he screams, it's just not happening. Obviously, he doesn't roll from back to front or crawl.

Should I worry? He's an otherwise happy baby, he's very vocal, sits on his own well (mind you, he was about 7.5 months when he started), won't pull up on objects but will pull up on people, and eats solids well.

ETA: His fine motor skills are impressive. He'll pick at moles on my arm lol

jeebee 08-19-2010 11:33 PM

Re: 9 month old won't stay on belly?

I don't see what the problem is. I would leave him, he's mobile, he can get around, and he is doing what he wants to do. I would put him to sit up more often instead of tummy time. Neither of my kids ever did much tummy time, both sat well unsupported before 5 months, rolled both ways by 4 months, and my first crawled at 7 months, the second one is almost 7 and just about crawling as well, so I guess she does tummy time now, lol. But only because she pulls herself from sitting onto her tummy. If he is normal in every other way, I wouldn't force him to do anything!

tjoy 08-19-2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeebee (Post 11022442)
I don't see what the problem is. I would leave him, he's mobile, he can get around,

Sorry, I'll have to rephrase. He's not mobile.

dragondance 08-19-2010 11:54 PM

All of mine have hated tummy time so far. With a passion :giggle:.

rosefall 08-20-2010 07:51 AM

I wouldn't worry about it since he is able to roll and sit unassisted. When he wants to become mobile he will either roll over to crawl, or do the rare back-crawl.

pcjs 08-20-2010 09:16 AM

Why are you wanting him on his belly at this point - he is mobile and doing what he should be and getting the exercise - the tummy time is for the little ones... let him do his thing...he'll be pulling up and cruising before you know it - don't rush it as then life as you know it will be over soon... I would worry more about baby proofing... it went so quick for us.. once my son sat up, nothing stopped him... he took to cruising right away. (yesterday I put him on stairs for the first time and he went right up with no problems at Grandma's house and freaked her out - while I was laughing in delight taking pictures)

Bethany89 08-20-2010 09:43 AM

my 6 1/2month old doesn't do tummy time anymore.. granted, I couldn't keep her there if I wanted to.. she is almost completely mobile except for walking.. I think just let him go! Thats what i did with my DD when she started rolling.. I figure it gives them time to figure out what to do

syfitz 08-20-2010 09:47 AM

All of mine hated it. All developed just fine and learned to crawl and walk. No biggie. I wouldn't try to force my baby to do something that was uncomfortable for them.

GEM Cloth 08-20-2010 11:09 AM

I am wondering why he is supposed to be on his belly? If he doesn't like it I see no need to make him do it. Is this "so called" tummy time? Most babies hate that and the medical community thought that up to counter-act the ill effects of back sleeping (and babies being placed in swings, etc. rather than being held or worn, etc.). Y'all just do your thing and he'll be completely fine.

jeebee 08-20-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjoy (Post 11022454)
Sorry, I'll have to rephrase. He's not mobile.

Sorry, I guess what I meant is he can roll and sit, so that for me would show that he is able to move around, especially if he is sitting. Tummy time is also to help babies who spend all their time on their backs, but if he can sit instead then that is fine IMO.