Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   2010 Due Daters (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Mitch and Heidi-and the Homeschool mamas... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1057369)

Jaxence 08-23-2010 10:41 AM

Mitch and Heidi-and the Homeschool mamas...

So we're starting our first day of kindergarten today...I'm gonna let my 3 yr old DD follow along too since she loves to learn book work so much...I'm actually excited. I'll be honest the idea of homeschooling terrified me, and it's always been a tension point between DH and I...(he was home schooled through elementary, and credits it for his 4.0) Well I got my curriculum and I'm prepped for the week...Should be interesting...
Anyways wish me luck...Hopefully I can pull this off...

dragondance 08-23-2010 12:08 PM

Re: Mitch and Heidi----

Good luck!! We picked up homeschool a bit today too, just because it's my first day with no work. How's it going so far? Our morning work went well. Chaotic, but well, lol.

luvmyfam 08-23-2010 12:47 PM

you are gonna do awesome!!!! IMO the fact that they are home with a mother that loves them sets them up for life a step ahead!!!! We also did some school today and I manged to not loose it, my patience are very short. My 17 month old screamed for the first 10 minutes and then i set her down with some food. So i guess that is the solution, feed the beast and she will be quiet LOL. i feel very productive!!!!!

Jaxence 08-23-2010 01:00 PM

I didn't realize you homeschooled too Faith...
Well we are going to try our first day after dd2 goes down for a nap and see how it goes...that gives me 2 hours of worksheet and activity time...nap time starts in about 10 min...so wish me luck...I decided against mornings with DS since he has never been my morning kid...So his attention span is best at this point of the day...plus it will keep a very jealous 20mo old out of my hair...

dragondance 08-23-2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaxence (Post 11046812)
I didn't realize you homeschooled too Faith...
Well we are going to try our first day after dd2 goes down for a nap and see how it goes...that gives me 2 hours of worksheet and activity time...nap time starts in about 10 min...so wish me luck...I decided against mornings with DS since he has never been my morning kid...So his attention span is best at this point of the day...plus it will keep a very jealous 20mo old out of my hair...

Good idea. :thumbsup: I split our K work into about 20 min in the morning & 20 min in the afternoon so they don't get frustrated/overtired. Mine hate repetition/busywork :giggle: so I can only get so much workbook time in before they start to rebel. But creative stuff they'll do for a longer time. If they want to go longer we do, but with dd1 I won't force her past 20 minutes. I learned that last year. She totally shut down & refused to do anything. A lot of kids are fine going for a much longer time, just not dd.

Jaxence 08-23-2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragondance (Post 11046978)
Good idea. :thumbsup: I split our K work into about 20 min in the morning & 20 min in the afternoon so they don't get frustrated/overtired. Mine hate repetition/busywork :giggle: so I can only get so much workbook time in before they start to rebel. But creative stuff they'll do for a longer time. If they want to go longer we do, but with dd1 I won't force her past 20 minutes. I learned that last year. She totally shut down & refused to do anything. A lot of kids are fine going for a much longer time, just not dd.

You just described DS...He only recently wanted anything to do with his ABC's though he's been counting since he learned how to talk...It just frustrated him and he would shut down, so I didn't force it and waited til he had more interest while keeping letters posted on the board and trying new things once in awhile...Now he's excited, and like everything with him it finally clicked...DD on the other hand will probably pick up most of what I teach DS this year just because she learns so differently than he does...She's the type that learns by repetition so I figure it can't hurt to let her tag along...

happyhippymama 08-23-2010 01:52 PM

Good luck!
I was seriously considering HSing my son who is 5 and just started Kindergarten. I decided to hold off since we are having our surprise baby this fall. I just didn't think I could handle HSing and a newborn, plus my 2.5 y/o. Kudos to those of you who can balance HSing with a newborn! You ROCK!

dragondance 08-23-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaxence (Post 11047053)
You just described DS...He only recently wanted anything to do with his ABC's though he's been counting since he learned how to talk...It just frustrated him and he would shut down, so I didn't force it and waited til he had more interest while keeping letters posted on the board and trying new things once in awhile...Now he's excited, and like everything with him it finally clicked...DD on the other hand will probably pick up most of what I teach DS this year just because she learns so differently than he does...She's the type that learns by repetition so I figure it can't hurt to let her tag along...

Dd2 tags along too--I couldn't keep her away if I tried. I still have NO idea how she learns--she picks things up when she wants to--today she wanted to do ABCs. I am on Enchanted Learning so I just print out whatever worksheet she wants. Good thing as today was trace-the-entire-alphabet day :giggle:

Jaxence 08-23-2010 02:37 PM

Just finished and wish I had prepared more...DD1 was burnt out and couldn't take anymore, but DS started crying when we were done cuz he wanted to do more...He really likes our geography lessons...The art project we're doing on friday should give both the kids a thrill...It wasn't bad at all, but most of it was review for DS so he breezed through it...We'll see how he does when it gets to be all new stuff...

Jaxence 08-23-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyhippymama (Post 11047360)
Good luck!
I was seriously considering HSing my son who is 5 and just started Kindergarten. I decided to hold off since we are having our surprise baby this fall. I just didn't think I could handle HSing and a newborn, plus my 2.5 y/o. Kudos to those of you who can balance HSing with a newborn! You ROCK!

Alicia I was terrified too...if DH hadn't been so stubborn and insistent I don't think I would have...Our school options were so limited and our choices so poor that we thought we'd give it a try...DS would be the baby in his class anyways and is tiny by nature so I'm not against keeping him back a year if I really flop...
I'm lucky too that I have a couple of friends that homeschool and have kids the same ages as mine...so at least I had back-up just in case...