Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My baby just started crying when I lay him down to sleep. Separation anxiety?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1058166)

LovingBenjamin 08-24-2010 09:46 AM

My baby just started crying when I lay him down to sleep. Separation anxiety??

So about 2 weeks ago my son, Benjamin, started crying when I lay down with him to go to sleep. We are bed sharing so he naps/sleeps in my bed. He does not cry for his sitter when she puts him down to sleep...only me. What in the world is going on?? He is obviously tired, I nurse him, then he cries and cries. Is this some sort of separation anxiety?? Really I am the ONLY one he cries for like that. I was thinking maybe he just loves his mama so much he never wants to be away from me....not even to sleep. LOL

syfitz 08-24-2010 11:39 AM

Re: My baby just started crying when I lay him down to sleep. Separation anxiety??

He just loves you too much :wub: My kids were the same way as babies. My dh or my mom could put them down, but not me. (I kind of liked it...made me feel sooo special :giggle: )

dragondance 08-24-2010 02:16 PM

Re: My baby just started crying when I lay him down to sleep. Separation anxiety??

How old is he?

LovingBenjamin 08-25-2010 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragondance (Post 11056907)
How old is he?

He's 8 months

Kiliki 08-25-2010 09:44 AM

Personally, I think it's possible he's just becoming aware of who you are vs. other caregivers and is trying to protest to sleeping. It's a normal battle of wills that starts around that time, IMO. :hugs:

I always just firmly but gently told my LO "Don't cry. I'm right here with you. It's time to sleep now. I love you." That worked until they got older and I had to find another method that worked.

ETA: I see your sitter has no issues. Is he/she doing something differently? Or are they using the same method as you are for putting your LO to sleep?

Crew&West 08-25-2010 09:49 AM

My YDS is 8mo and he's teething like a mad man!!! 2-3 teeth at a time! UGH!!! His sleeping has been awful!!!

However, I agree with PP, I think he KNOWS who you are and that he just wants you. He :wub: his mama! Both my boys are little poops about that. DH can put them down and they don't care, my mom can, my sister can, but if I do it... FORGET IT! We started doing a routine for bedtime with YDS so he knows this is what happens everyday before I go to that crib thing they stick me in! Bathtime, bottle time while I rub some lotion and get him dressed, rock with his blanket for 10min in his room and then bed! It seems to help. We had to do it with ODS too until he was about 18mo old. Now he has a different routine, but our boys tend to do better on routines. :)

Kiliki 08-25-2010 09:51 AM

Oooh! I completely second a routine before naps/bed. It can be as simple as reading the same book beforehand. Just something to prepare them for the fact that they are getting ready to go to sleep now.

I know this is a tough age, but it really helps if you can firmly stick to bedtime/naps. I think it just confuses them if they sometimes have to nap and sometimes don't have to.