Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   2nd day with PFs - advice? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1058462)

starrlight97 08-24-2010 04:16 PM

2nd day with PFs - advice?

Ok, so I started my 2 week old on PFs yesterday. I just have the Little Lions seconds in the newborn size. First of all, these things are so think and bulky that there is no way I can fold down the rise. Is this normal? Second, when I take off his Thirsties Duo wrap, his PF is soaked through. Is this normal too? Is he just a super soaker? If his diaper wrap doesn't leak, is it okay just to keep doing it this way, or do I need to add aanother layer? If I need to add a layer, what in the world do I add to an already super bulky diaper? Thanks so much!

~Stephanie

m&m&m 08-24-2010 05:44 PM

Re: 2nd day with PFs - advice?

how often are you changing?

I also find that when I use prefolds or fitteds, they are pretty good and soaked when I change DS's diaper. The ratio of thickness of the prefold to the small size of them does make it a little bulky to fold down IMO. How are you folding them? Are you just trifolding them, or are you using pins or a snappi?

starrlight97 08-24-2010 06:20 PM

I do the angel fold wing with a snappi. I could probably change more often, so that might have something to do with it. Not sure exactly how often I change him. Probably should have started with PFs rather than trying to use up all the sposies people gifted me. It made me used to letting him go longer in his dipes.

ACSNMama 08-24-2010 06:42 PM

Are you folding the front or the back down? If you fold the back down, it'll be much trimmer than folding the front down. I change when wet as well, frequent changes keep from super soaked diapers. Are the PF's fully prepped?

I use flats and I have used PF's in the past and have more on the way to me! Anyway, they are always soaked through which is ok. Just as long as it's not sopping wet, and if the cover you're using isn't wet in the gussets than just change the PF and use the cover again. I don't think you really need anything extra at this point from the sounds of it.

starrlight97 08-24-2010 06:51 PM

Yes, the PFs are fully prepped. I washed and dried them all five times before using them. I'm glad it looks like I don't need to add anything to his diaper. I just need to work on changing him more often, it sounds like.

ADSNMama--did you use flats on your newborn? I have a dozen Little Lion flats, but I was planning to save them for when LO is bigger. I haven't learned how to use them yet, but am now wondering if they would be less bulky than the PFs??

Queen_Celeste 08-24-2010 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starrlight97 (Post 11058964)
Yes, the PFs are fully prepped. I washed and dried them all five times before using them. I'm glad it looks like I don't need to add anything to his diaper. I just need to work on changing him more often, it sounds like.

ADSNMama--did you use flats on your newborn? I have a dozen Little Lion flats, but I was planning to save them for when LO is bigger. I haven't learned how to use them yet, but am now wondering if they would be less bulky than the PFs??

I didn't use flats on a newborn, but I highly recommend trying the folding learning process now instead of later. Once they get wiggly and squirmy you have to change faster.

Also, when my oldest was first born, I turned the prefolds sideways to have less bulk at the ends.

faiths13 08-24-2010 07:47 PM

With nb's in pf's i would change every 1-2 hours if they are awake. if you know they are going to sleep for awhile you can add a doubler in. sometimes on really little babies everything is bulky. my ds was 7lbs and very skinny and everything seemed huge on him! once he started to grow it got better though. as far as folding down, you can try folding it down in either the front of back to see if one is trimmer. i like to fold down in the front and i think its trimmer. you can also try to trifold if you have a lot of covers. you get more absorbency that way. gl!

Ladymum 08-24-2010 09:32 PM

DD was a little over 6lbs (6lbs 10 oz at birth, 6lbs 2 oz two days later) EVERTHING was bulky on her. She is 7wks old and everything is still bulky on her although I have found some trimmer fitting stuff. If you can sew, convert your PF's into fitted's. This will increas the absorbancy and decrease the bulk a LOT. It will also make for easier changes.
Today, DD is about 8lbs. We are still using NB/small everything.
If you make your PF's into fitteds you can double with a microterry insert and a fleece liner or a bamboo/hemp insert and fleece liner (if the insert does not have fleec on it). This is what I do on DD and it keeps her dry longer. The fitteds with inserts last me about 2 hours, sometimes longer. usually by the time I change her the outermost part of the PF will have a wet spot on it, but not soaked. I check her often so that when I can feel wetness is when I change. She is a very heavy wetter (I think).

niftysmith 08-24-2010 09:36 PM

I changed DS in the early months every time he was wet—sometimes right after I changed his diaper, sometimes after 30 minutes, sometimes after 1-2 hours when he was asleep. Prefolds are definitely different than sposies in that they're going to feel wet. There's no wood pulp in them to magically absorb things. :giggle:

I don't consider DS a super soaker, but he's still quite the wetter at 5 months. I like to use a doubler (a premie prefold) in his prefolds just so that there's an extra layer. Or a bamboo insert (like an Sbish doubler) is always nice for over night.

m&m&m 08-24-2010 10:19 PM

I actually would recommend against the trifolding for now (at least until baby's bowels are a little more under control) those explosions IMO tend to get on the cover more often when the pf is trifolded.