Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Just thought I would share a few favorite Recipes!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1060185)

BabyLuvinMama 08-26-2010 08:42 PM

Just thought I would share a few favorite Recipes!!

Share em.... Make em.... take pictures of what you make and share those too:giggle2: its not ALL about the fluff in here is int :lostit: ok it mostly is but I wanna share my Other passion COOKING!!!

NO Kneed Bread for those who want bread NOW its Denser more like Soda bread IMO but still VERY tasty this is so Easy you dont even need special equipment

No kneed Bread Makes 2 Loafs
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
6 C Flour
3C warm water No hoter than 105
1 Tblspn Salt
1.5 Tblspn Yeast
Put yeast and and salt in a bowl
then Add water Stir till salt desolves
Add FLour stir till no dry lumps

**WILL BE STICKY AND rOUGH**

cover AND LET RISE about 2 hours Cut dough in Half

Pre-heat Oven 450 degrees

Grease the pan place in oven for 10 Minutes to pre-heat

Dough will be soft so Gently grease your hands and rubber spatula and
place dough into pans

Needs to have Water Dish in bottom for added Moisture

2 loafs will take 30 minutes
1 Large loaf will take 45-60 Mins.

ONCE Loaf is removed from Oven remove from Pan and Cool on HARD surface
like Counter or cutting board
COOL completely before Cutting
For a Softer crust cover with towel or brush with Oil or butter while
it cools.

**I like to stud mine with Whole garlic cloves and Rosemarry then top with seasalt **
BUT any thing could be added
This one is a little more Advanced and Requires some special tools but I promise you its VERY tasty and pretty darn close to the actual product

Homemade Twinkies

*makes about 16 to 12 twinkies*

Ingredients for cakes:

(1) 16 oz box of Pound Cake mix – I used Betty crocker

4 egg whites

2/3 cup water

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Whip the egg whites until stiff. In a separate bowl,
mix the cake mix and water. Then fold the egg whites into the cake mixture,
then beat with hand mixer until combined. Fill the molds halfway and bake 22 – 23 mins.
Bake until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Mine took longer in the tin foil molds.

Ingredients for cream filling:

2 tsp hot water

1/4 tsp salt

2 cups marshmallow cream / fluff ( the whole 7oz jar)

1/2 cup shortening

1/3 cup powdered sugar

1 tsp vanilla extract

For the filling, mix the salt into the hot water to dissolve.
Let it cool. Combine marshamallow, shortening, powdered sugar and vanilla in bowl and mix until fluffy.
Mix in the salt water.

When the cakes have cooled, poke holes into the bottom of the cakes
with a chopstick and wiggle it around to create a cavern inside the cake.
Fill with cakes with cream filling using a pastry bag.

These can be stored in a wax paper-lined container for a few hours before serving.
It helps if you let them sit for a few hours before eating since
the cream really melds with the twinkies.
this is a REGULAR sunday brunch in our house

{Potato pancakes}

Ingredients:
1 C. raw, grated potato
1 C. cooked mashed potatos (leftover is fine)
1 onion, minced fine (optional -- for savory boxty pancakes)
1 C. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 egg, beaten
1 C. buttermilk
2 tbsp. butter

Instructions: 1. In a med. mixing bowl, combine the grated potato, onion (if using), and buttermilk (this keeps the potato from discoloring).

2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, salt,Garlic powder and baking powder.

3. Add grated potato mixture, egg, and mashed potato.

4. Mix well. Batter should be about the texture of thick pancake batter. Add additional flour or buttermilk if necessary.

5. Melt butter in a heavy skillet or on a griddle.

6. Over medium heat, drop large spoonfuls of boxty batter into skillet, making approximately 6" pancakes.

7. Brown well on both sides.

~served as is Or with a little sour cream and chives MMMMMM good
these are only as Spicy as you make them and they go GREAT with chilli

Jalapeño-Cheddar Corn Cakes (Savory Ebelskivers)

2 cups cornmeal pancake mix*

1 egg

1 1/2 cups milk

4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for cooking

1/4 cup finely diced jalapeño

2 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

Directions:

In a bowl, whisk together the pancake mix, egg, milk and the 4 Tbs. melted butter.
Fold in the jalapeño.

Put 1/4 tsp. butter in each well of a filled-pancake pan.
Place over medium heat and heat until the butter begins to bubble.
Pour 1 Tbs. batter into each well and put 1 cube of cheese in the center of each pancake,
then top with 1 Tbs. batter. Cook until the bottoms are golden brown and crispy, 5 to 6 minutes.
Using 2 wooden skewers, flip the pancakes over and cook until golden and crispy, about 3 minutes more.
Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter and cheese. Makes about 22 corn cakes.

HEATHER78 08-27-2010 12:18 PM

Re: Just thought I would share a few favorite Recipes!!

Bump would love to see some more!!

Leah52 08-27-2010 12:31 PM

I made this pork and bean chili the other night and my family raved about it. I did a couple of things different because I found the recipe looking for things to make with what I had: I didn't have the jalapeno or bacon and I used dry beans that I cooked earlier in the day and tomatoes from our garden instead of canned. At the end I added about 1/8 tsp of ground cloves and about 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and it really brought depth to the flavor and made it smell divine.

Last week I really wanted some cheese crackers so I dug up this recipe I had tried before and remembered why I loved them so much! I use half all purpose flour and half white wheat.

2queens&1princenmyhouse 08-27-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah52 (Post 11082873)
I made this pork and bean chili the other night and my family raved about it. I did a couple of things different because I found the recipe looking for things to make with what I had: I didn't have the jalapeno or bacon and I used dry beans that I cooked earlier in the day and tomatoes from our garden instead of canned. At the end I added about 1/8 tsp of ground cloves and about 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and it really brought depth to the flavor and made it smell divine.

Last week I really wanted some cheese crackers so I dug up this recipe I had tried before and remembered why I loved them so much! I use half all purpose flour and half white wheat.

Funny! I just made the same cheese crackers the other day. Fine minds think alike! :giggle2:

I just made some rockin' pizza for lunch!

Dough
1 c. warm water
2 tsp. yeast
2 T. olive oil
3/4 tsp. salt
1 T. cornmeal
3 C. bread flour

Mix the water and yeast together in a large bowl and let it sit a few minutes until foamy. Add oil, salt, cornmeal and 1 cup of flour. Mix together and continue to add flour. Once most of the flour is incorporated, turn out on a lightly floured counter and knead until smooth. Return to bowl, cover with towel and let rise for 30 minutes or so. Cut in half and roll out (makes 2 12 inch pizzas or you can make one thicker dough crust if you wish).

Another option: Add oregano, garlic powder and basil to the dough for herbed breadsticks.

Easy Pizza Sauce from All Recipes. I used about 1/3 of the sauce for each pizza and each one had quite a bit of sauce-I'll probably cut back a bit next time. I'm going to freeze the remainder for breadstick dipping sauce next week.

One pizza was covered in lots of mozzarella for the kids and DH and I had chopped black forest ham and mozzarella on ours. Very yummy!

HEATHER78 08-27-2010 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse (Post 11083054)
Funny! I just made the same cheese crackers the other day. Fine minds think alike! :giggle2:

I just made some rockin' pizza for lunch!

Dough
1 c. warm water
2 tsp. yeast
2 T. olive oil
3/4 tsp. salt
1 T. cornmeal
3 C. bread flour

Mix the water and yeast together in a large bowl and let it sit a few minutes until foamy. Add oil, salt, cornmeal and 1 cup of flour. Mix together and continue to add flour. Once most of the flour is incorporated, turn out on a lightly floured counter and knead until smooth. Return to bowl, cover with towel and let rise for 30 minutes or so. Cut in half and roll out (makes 2 12 inch pizzas or you can make one thicker dough crust if you wish).

Another option: Add oregano, garlic powder and basil to the dough for herbed breadsticks.

Easy Pizza Sauce from All Recipes. I used about 1/3 of the sauce for each pizza and each one had quite a bit of sauce-I'll probably cut back a bit next time. I'm going to freeze the remainder for breadstick dipping sauce next week.

One pizza was covered in lots of mozzarella for the kids and DH and I had chopped black forest ham and mozzarella on ours. Very yummy!

Yummy!! I think we may do this for dinner tonight. Thanks :goodvibes:

BabyLuvinMama 08-27-2010 04:54 PM

White sauce Enchiladas

Cook Time

35 mins
Level

Medium
Serves

12-15 Enchilada's

Close
Times:

Prep
1 hr 0 min
Inactive Prep
0 min
Cook
35 mins
Total:
1 hr 35 mins

Recipe Tools:

* Edit Recipe

x
Select a Card Size

* CARD3x5 card
* CARD4x6 card

Ingredients

* * 1 Lb Steak cut into thin strips
* * 1 Lb Lean ground beef
* * 1 Small onion Finely Diced
* * 1 Jar of Salsa(Mild, Med, Hot depending on the heat)
* * 2 Cans Cream of Mushroom soup
* * 1 Pint Sourcream (full, Low, or Non Fat) it all works
* * 2 small cans of Sliced Black olives
* * about a Pound of Shredded Cheese (any kind you prefer) We usually use 1/2 Lb of Colby Jack and Half Montery Jack
* * 12-15 Corn Tortilla's Softened
* * (I fry mine in a little corn oil so they stay soft)

Directions

Directions: Pre-Heat your oven to 375. Brown the ground beef and Onion togather, when the beef is almost done add the Steak and Salsa. Let that simmer for about 20 minutes. in a bowl combine Soup, and sourcream, Mix until smooth and 1 can of olives. To assemble: put a thin Layer of cream sauce on the bottom of your Baking dish (I use 13x9x2 Plus an 8x8) place your softened Tortilla in dish then put about a Tablespoon of meat mix and Sauce into tortilla top with a bit of cheese and roll. Continue this until you have your cassarole dish filled. then pour remaining sauce over and rest of cheese. (make sure you do not over stuff or they will not hold shape) Sprinkle other can of olives between the 2 casseroles. Bake for 20-30 Min uncovered. Let cool for approx. 10 min before cutting or they will fall apart. We usually serve this with Beans and Spanish rice, but Salad works well too..

Note you can sub ANY meat I use chicken most of the time but this is what My mom does when she makes it so I left it as is

I am pretty sure I have posted this one before but I get so many raves about it thought I would post it again My family has been making this for 35+yrs

KONAS
* 30-40 Taco sized Tortilla's
* 1Lb of Ground Beef NOT extra lean stuff
* 8oz of Velveeta cheese cubed
* 24 oz bag frozen shredded obrian potatoes
* 1Med Yellow onion Finely diced
* 1Med green Bell Pepper Finely Minced
* 3 dashes hot sauce
* 1.25 oz packet of taco seasoning
* 1-2cups of Prepared mashed Potatoes
* Vegetable Oil for Frying

Directions

1. Brown the ground beef until almost done, Add Onion and Pepper cook till tender. 2. Add hot sauce and taco seasoning cook for about 5 mins till flavors combine. 3. Add Hashbrowns and cook till thawed.about 20 Minutes 4. in a separate pot prepare the mashed potatoes add the Cubed cheese and Mix to Melt. 5. Combine mashed potato mixture and Meat mixture mix well. 6. Put one Heaping Spoonful of Mixture into the tortilla and Roll like a Burrito and Pan fry on both sides until Golden brown.
Cook's Notes:

”Keeps in the Fridge for about 2 weeks in the freezer when stored properly for about 3 months Taco seasoning is Optional Its just what My family likes if yours doesnt Leave it out its very versatile ”