Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Boycott of Once Upon a Child in Carmel, Indiana (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1061212)

luvsviola 08-28-2010 01:16 PM

Boycott of Once Upon a Child in Carmel, Indiana

I will never spend another dime in the 146th and Meridian St. (Carmel/Westfield, Indiana) Once Upon A Child. I had over $100 worth of clothing in my hand, we'd been there more than half an hour, and my daughter had to use the potty. They would not let her use their potty. DH was told rudely that it is for employees only, and that he could take her 7 stores down the strip mall to the grocery store if she needed to go. At which point I put my big pile of things on their counter, and told the employee that if my 3 year old could not use the restroom, I wasn't buying anything and would tell others to do the same.

I had been in the store one other time, more than a year ago. They would not let me use my Visa card for an $8 purchase. I was told that there is a $10 minimum to use a credit card.

If a children's store doesn't care about children enough to let an obviously desperate 3 year old use their restroom, they will NEVER get another dime of my money and I encourage others to do the same.

*Eva* 08-28-2010 01:31 PM

Re: Boycott of Once Upon a Child in Carmel, Indiana

More than likely its a liability and they can't let people use their washroom. It sucks but a lot of places have the same rule. I honestly assume that a place isn't going to let me use the washroom if its not a restaurant, grocery store or gas station.

crystalanne79 08-28-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Eva* (Post 11090570)
More than likely its a liability and they can't let people use their washroom. It sucks but a lot of places have the same rule. I honestly assume that a place isn't going to let me use the washroom if its not a restaurant, grocery store or gas station.

:yeahthat: it is not common place for stores to have public bathrooms unless they are large department stores or grocery stores around here.

MiaAnjuli 08-28-2010 01:37 PM

That sucks. But I agree with the pp it is very common in places to have those rules. I have gone to a handfull of places that have a minimum amount for a credit card purchase. And I think that most stores that arent huge department stores (Dillards, JCPennys, etc.) don't have public bathrooms.

boysniris 08-28-2010 01:38 PM

?!? I would expect a place like children's clothing shop to at least let the littles use the bathroom. Our local PO has let my DS use the bathroom and they wouldn't normally allow the public to use it.

ETA --> The CC issue isn't unusual though. I've never shopped at OUAC

cotopaxi 08-28-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystalanne79 (Post 11090587)
:yeahthat: it is not common place for stores to have public bathrooms unless they are large department stores or grocery stores around here.

Same here. I wouldn't have expected to be able to use theirs. Sorry you had a bad day though!! :hugs:

ETA: My OUAC has a $10 minimum for CC too. Lots of places do. They get charged a fee for CC transactions. It can be inconvenient because I don't always carry much cash on me, but I understand why they have it. They have to take every measure to keep their costs down, because really there isn't that much profit to be had in reselling used kids' clothes.

j+csmama 08-28-2010 01:40 PM

Come on down here to ours in Bloomington! They have a public restroom. You'd think a kids store would have a kids bathroom.....

kbstanley3 08-28-2010 01:46 PM

I love the OUAC in Greensboro (where I used to live) but HATE the one where I live now and the last time I went in there I vowed not to go for a variety of reasons. The main one being that their employees are RUDE and customer service is HORRID. The last time I went in, I was standing in line. The cashier rang up the man in front of me and then as I stepped up to the register, walked off and starting stocking stuff. It took her 5 minutes and the manager noticing that I was standing there and going to get her before she finally came back. I mean I was standing right. there. and she just walked off like I didn't even exist.

Nanner99 08-28-2010 01:48 PM

I think any store that expects to have lots of little kids coming through needs to provide a bathroom. An obviously OUAC falls in that category.

Now I do understand the cc thing- there are fees for a $1 purchase and it probably is not making them much profit if they take them on less than cc. Now, they should have this POSTED by the register.

boysniris 08-28-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbstanley3 (Post 11090637)
I love the OUAC in Greensboro (where I used to live) but HATE the one where I live now and the last time I went in there I vowed not to go for a variety of reasons. The main one being that their employees are RUDE and customer service is HORRID. The last time I went in, I was standing in line. The cashier rang up the man in front of me and then as I stepped up to the register, walked off and starting stocking stuff. It took her 5 minutes and the manager noticing that I was standing there and going to get her before she finally came back. I mean I was standing right. there. and she just walked off like I didn't even exist.

WTF?