Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Testing the WAHM Waters (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Is there a WAHM forum for those who don't make things? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1061250)

signingbaby 08-28-2010 03:35 PM

Is there a WAHM forum for those who don't make things?

Please direct me to it if so ... I'd love to connect with other moms in my situation. I work at home part-time as a freelance writer.

:D
Monica

EyeLoveHomemade 08-31-2010 10:46 AM

Re: Is there a WAHM forum for those who don't make things?

I freelance as well. What sites do you use?

juliabell 09-02-2010 07:57 PM

I'm interested in that kind of separation as well. I'd love to start a biz doing genealogy research for people but am clueless as to the desire/scope/possibility of it all.

As a creative writing major, I tried freelance writing and it never took off for me! So good luck to you with that. It's something you really have to persist at and I just never did. It was hard to keep writing with the thought that it may not get you anywhere. I used Writer's Market mostly. Do you have a solid gig?

BuggaBuggaBoutique 09-02-2010 09:21 PM

i know there are moms on the WAHM board that only do graphics, maybe start a weekly chat thread there?

signingbaby 09-03-2010 07:02 AM

Yes, I have a solid gig right now. I befriended one of the founders of sheknows.com on a TTC message board years ago (I had no idea she was the creator of such a huge internet company). I lucked into getting a couple of books published prior to that (look for me under Monica Beyer) so that increased my clout, lol. Anyway, I have a regular gig for SheKnows and one of their other sites.

I don't even know where the regular WAHM forum is! LOL! I need to look around, start a thread maybe. If I do, I'll post it here.

Thanks girls!

signingbaby 09-03-2010 07:16 AM

Yeah, I can't find the regular WAHM forum! Help! LOL! I'm so stupid.

BuggaBuggaBoutique 09-03-2010 11:44 AM

you need to apply to join in your user CP

EmilyRP 09-08-2010 06:18 AM

Hi Monica,

I work from home doing writing, too. I am a part-time writer, editor, and SEO strategist for a small marketing firm. Most of my writing ends up being web content or client blog posts, but it is interesting and gives me a bit of a professional outlet. I've also published some articles as a freelancer in the past (I found it hard to find enough work to make it lucrative though). I'd love to find a thread for WAHM writers! Let me know if you find one!

I'd also love to pick you brain about childcare. When do you do your work? Who watches your kids? I have one 3 year-old who goes to preschool 3 mornings week, so I write during that time and during his nap time (which he is transitioning out of, yikes!). We are expecting our second in Nov so I think we will need to hire a PT nanny or sitter if I'm to get any work done. Would love to hear other people's solutions. Thanks!

Emily

signingbaby 09-08-2010 03:29 PM

I have to say that while working from home is wonderful, it can also be terrible. Basically I work whenever the baby is napping or playing happily on the floor at my feet. I just can't justify paying someone to watch her. It's probably the worst part about this -- trying to work around her schedule!

CherryPie 09-09-2010 08:33 AM

Hi :)

I don't make my things either but I take it very seriously and treat it like the business that it is both IRL and online. I sometimes I feel like many people don't take direct sales seriously b/c often times the people quit after a few months or only sign up for the discount. Nothing is wrong with that of course, but I am interested in taking my business above and beyond that. I've been active with it for a little over a year. :goodvibes: