Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Help - Snack Ideas for pre-teens/teens (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1063222)

zachabbycole 08-31-2010 01:12 PM

Help - Snack Ideas for pre-teens/teens

We are the house that all the kids like to come and hang out at. (Which we are happy about- it is great to know who my kid's friends are)

I like to have snacks on hand for the kids to eat but the stuff gets eaten so fast! I would love ideas for easy things to keep on hand for the kids.

Right now I buy the packaged granola bars, crackers, etc but I need to start doing something different - my grocery bill is getting out of hand.

keonli 08-31-2010 01:46 PM

Re: Help - Snack Ideas for pre-teens/teens

I don't have teens coming over often, but when I have my nieces and nephew over, I make sure there are healthy snacks like fruits, fruit leather, and juice. Before, though, I used to stock up on chips and cookies, which were affordable snacks.

WhiteRockMom 08-31-2010 01:48 PM

You could make up a big batch of Chex Mix, rice crispie squares, cookies, banana bread (or zuccini bread), muffins. Most things homemade are more affordable (and better for you) than store bought.

Or have on hand veggies already cut up and some dip.

emhammer0506 08-31-2010 02:27 PM

I just got these two recipes from a friend...

Crispy Cheese Crackers

cup butter softened

t. sea salt

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, room temperature

1 cup whole wheat flour

t. baking powder

1 T. cold water

Use beaters or food processor to mix butter and salt until creamy. Add cheese. Mix well. Gradually add flour, baking powder and water, mixing until dough begins to form a ball. Form dough into a ball with hands.

Roll the dough into 1/8 inch thickness onto a cookie sheet. Cut the rolled out dough into 1 inch squares. Bake 15 minutes at 350 or until lightly browned. Turn off the oven and leave the crackers inside to crisp up. Store tightly covered.

Homemade Chewy Granola Bars

1/2 cup peanut butter or sunbutter

1/3 cup honey

1/4 cup coconut oil (or another oil of your choice)

1 cup oats

1 cup total of any combination of: sesame seeds, coconut flakes, sunflower seeds, dried fruit, mini chocolate chips

In a medium sized saucepan, melt together peanut butter, honey and coconut oil.

Remove from heat and add one cup of oats. Choose your favorite combination of coconut flakes, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, dried fruit and mini chocolate chips, to equal a total of ONE CUP. Pour in and stir well.

Stir well, then spread mixture into a 88 or 94 pan.

Chill for two hours, then cut into bars.

kocho 08-31-2010 02:53 PM

How about a nice fruit bowl. My teen cousins still love cheese sticks, yogurt, frozen grapes, pretzels. How about hummus? supper cheap to make and yummy. Could dip pretzels or veggies.