Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Need frozen meals quick! Due in 2 days! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1063839)

LillyIvy 09-01-2010 10:51 AM

Need frozen meals quick! Due in 2 days!

It finally kicked in yesterday that I'm still gonna have to cook while recovering from childbirth.

I currently have frozen:
2 Meatloaves
Stuffed Shells

I'm getting ready to make a lasagna.

I'm out of ideas!! We're going shopping tonight, so quick would be best :goodvibes:

Thanks! :thumbsup:

veveland 09-01-2010 11:01 AM

Re: Need frozen meals quick! Due in 2 days!

Chicken pot pie
sloppy joes
Mexican chicken casserole
Homemade pizza crusts (and just keep the other items on hand)

I can get you any of these recipes if you PM me. :thumbsup:
Also, check www.moneysavingmom.com She does a freezer cooking day every month and she posts all of her recipes.

LillyIvy 09-01-2010 11:47 AM

I've asked about the pizza dough before. I'd like to freeze it, but don't know when. I mix it, knead it, rise it, then go straight to cooking it. Do i freeze it right after I knead it, then let it rise/unthaw when I want to use it? If it wasn't for kneading, I'd make pizza everyday, lol.

That website keeps timing out on me :headscratch:

My main problem is lack of hardware. So anything I can put in a bag would be the best! :goodvibes:

One Little Window 09-01-2010 12:09 PM

So I don't know if this will help - but before my son was born I realized I didn't have enough put together. So Instead of frozen meals I took huge ziploc bags and put everything that was needed to put together a simple meal in the bag. So 1 taco seasoning packet with enough textured vegetable protein (or if you eat meat you could put instructions and make sure the meat is frozen) with tortillas. Things like that. Just to make it easier for daddy to put meals together in an emergency.

The other thing I did was freeze sauces... So basically he could make pasta or rice, add some veggies and put the sauce over it. Super easy. I made protein filled sauces. ( I don't eat meat, but the equivalents would be meat sauce, dairy sauces, tuna noodle casserole without the noodles, things like that...) Let me know if this isn't clear and I'll explain better. It worked great! Basically any kind of casserole or pasta dish or rice dish I put everything together, but I just didn't put it on the noodles/rice. It saved time and space.

benjaminsmom 09-01-2010 12:45 PM

Sheppards Pie
Chili
Sphagetti sauce (with meat veggies)
Meatballs (you can add em to pasta and sauce or to a mushroom gravy or some other kind)

Umm I will go look in my Dream dinners book and see what else I can find for you. It is a book dedicated to prepping meals to freeze ;)

benjaminsmom 09-01-2010 12:47 PM

Rhonda you can PM me and let me know what kind of stuff you like, there is recipe for just about anything youcan think of in this book. Breakfasts too!

mydaddysjag 09-01-2010 01:00 PM

Ive been making soups(in the crock pot for ease, I have a very demanding 2 month old, so not much time to stand over something cooking) and doubling the recipe. What we don't eat for dinner goes in the freezer.

Homemade waffles freeze well and are way cheaper than store bought. When in a hurry we often eat cream of chicken over waffles. Its literally a 2 minute meal, you throw the waffles in the toaster to heat, and cook the cream of mushroom in the microwave for 2 mins.

veveland 09-01-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LillyIvy (Post 11121603)
I've asked about the pizza dough before. I'd like to freeze it, but don't know when. I mix it, knead it, rise it, then go straight to cooking it. Do i freeze it right after I knead it, then let it rise/unthaw when I want to use it? If it wasn't for kneading, I'd make pizza everyday, lol.

That website keeps timing out on me :headscratch:

My main problem is lack of hardware. So anything I can put in a bag would be the best! :goodvibes:

I just make basic pizza dough (I use the betty Crocker red/white checkered book version only I use whole wheat flour and add a little rosemary for flavor)...I do it all ahead and then shape the dough into rounds, bake for just a couple of minutes until it is set, wrap individually in press n seal wrap or aluminum foil, and freeze. Then when you're ready to use, you just put on the toppings and stick in the oven. :goodvibes:

Reuben Christopher 09-01-2010 04:55 PM

2 cans of potatoes (diced or sliced is easier than whole)
2 cans cream of whatever soup (mushroom is great)
1 can veggies (we love peas in this)
bag of shredded cheese
ritz crackers

Mix together potatoes, soup (do not add water) & veggies (drained of course) and some of the cheese in a cake pan (9x13). Cover top well with foil and put it in the freezer. Take it out and thaw it (I haven't tried cooking it frozen) in the fridge overnight and then on the counter for a few hrs (will cook in 30 minutes if room temp. If colder it takes longer). Put it in a 375 for 30 minutes (provided it is room temp or close to). Take it out and sprinkle the top with shredded cheese and crushed crackers and put it back into the oven until the cheese is melted. Take it out let it cool for a minute then eat!

Very very yummy and you could easily add some shredded/chunked cooked chicken to it or whatever. I have made it with mixed veggies as well and it was still yummy we just like it with peas:)

natesgirl 09-01-2010 06:58 PM

I have freezer meals posted if you search freezer on my blog.