Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Calling All Bento Box Mamas!!! What is YOUR fav box? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1065106)

looking8186 09-02-2010 08:40 PM

Calling All Bento Box Mamas!!! What is YOUR fav box?

Hey ladies,
I have been dying to do bento boxes for a long time but haven't had a reason to pack a lunch for my dd or myself yet! Well... My reason is coming to me next Monday!!! A beautiful little 2.5 year old foster girl :wub: She will be attending daycare at a great daycare nearby so I can still work part-time and bring my dd with me. So.. needless to say I will have to get back into the lunch packing groove that I left behind so long ago when my other foster babes left.

What I was wondering was.... What are your favorite bento boxes and accesories? I would like to keep it on the cheaper side but don't want to cheap out too much and get dangerous plastic ones. I have an Hmart near me that I thought I would check out but I thought it would be nice to have an idea before I went there.

Also... What do you pack for your 2.5ish yr old.. any ideas? I have no idea what she will eat yet so I guess time will tell for that peice!!

Thank you all soo much!

katiekat1032 09-02-2010 09:01 PM

Re: Calling All Bento Box Mamas!!! What is YOUR fav box?

Why are plastic ones dangerous?

natesgirl 09-02-2010 10:47 PM

my fave box... goodness.
for someone that little you need a little box
you can get stainless steel
a lock and lock would be easy also. with the four containers
here's a picture

if you search lock and lock on my blog lunches I've made with it iwll come up it's about $5 a box and made in the US
the individual containers can be sealed with press and seal to keep things separate.
for a 2.5 year old little picks wouldn't be good anyway but little forks and spoons would be good like the one in this post
Hmart has some but not a lot not the one I go to they DO have the Jr Bento which I'm drooling over.

ashley0929 09-03-2010 05:37 AM

We have the laptop lunch system. We love it, but it is on the expensive side. We are waiting for a ponyo bento box from jbox.com While we are at home we use seperated lunch containers similar to the lock&lock. And for accessories all I have are little sword picks right now that I bought from Publix.

Sillebille 09-03-2010 06:56 AM

I have a dozen of these ziplock divided containers. You could try if she is able to open the box without bending the lid. My kids are 10 and 13 and they use these containers without problems.
They are cheap enough for $1,andsomechange each.

I would prefer lock/lock container, but I could not find the ones with the dividers in them locally.

Sillebille 09-03-2010 06:57 AM

I have a dozen of these ziplock divided containers. You could try if she is able to open the box without bending the lid. My kids are 10 and 13 and they use these containers without problems.

I would prefer lock/lock container, but I could not find the ones with the dividers in them locally.

Sillebille 09-03-2010 06:57 AM

Alternative: these easylunchboxes.com (??) $14 for 4.

keonli 09-03-2010 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katiekat1032 (Post 11135048)

I guess there are concerns over BPA. But I found an article stating that the Japanese plastic ones do not contain BPA and that the guidelines for product safety are strict over there.

I've just started using Bento boxes and would like to try one of the Goodbyn ones.

Sillebille 09-03-2010 09:02 AM

and I LOVE this one here:
http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Sears-Nibbl.../dp/B002V92XRQ

looking8186 09-03-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katiekat1032 (Post 11135048)

It's not that all plastic ones are dangerous... Just some of the plastics out there contain BPA and chemicals that have been found to be bad for you :thumbsup: