Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Fifth Disease and pregnancy Q (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1066953)

mommyfrog 09-06-2010 10:35 AM

Fifth Disease and pregnancy Q

I have been having joint pain for a couple of months now and some edema. A couple of weeks ago my sister suggested it may be Fifth Disease. She had it about a year and a half ago and those were her symptoms. Her doctor ran all kinds of tests for arthritis and stuff and then finally though of Fifth Disease and that's what it was. Yesterday my 2 year old niece came down with it. So I start researching it and come across Fifth Disease and pregnancy stuff. It said if a pregnant woman gets it during the first 20 weeks there is a 10% chance her baby will die. Well, my baby did about a month ago, about 2 weeks after my joints started hurting and I started retaining a lot of water. I'm going to ask to be tested even though it won't really matter now. I just want to know. Does anyone else have any experience with Fifth Disease and pregnancy or any other good info? Thanks.

krista_beth 09-06-2010 10:54 AM

Re: Fifth Disease and pregnancy Q

I don't have any experience in that area, but I know pregnant women are not supposed to be around people who have been diagnosed with it. Just wanted to offer :hugs: and say sorry for your loss.

mommyfrog 09-06-2010 11:02 AM

Thank you. My other sister is about 23 weeks along and so past the biggest danger zone, but I still worry. I don't want anything to happen to her baby like it did mine.

Pikemommy 09-06-2010 11:09 AM

I had it when i was in 2nd grade.... I just remember I had really red rosey cheeks. Have you called your dr. to get tested for it?

mommyfrog 09-06-2010 11:38 AM

Not yet. I have an appointment on Wednesday to follow up on the D&E, so I'll ask about it then. If they don't want to do it, I'll call my regular doctor. He'll pretty much test me for anything I want him to. And my sister has an appointment on Thursday and will ask her midwife then.

*Peanut* 09-06-2010 11:42 AM

meganne79 09-06-2010 11:42 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss mama! I'd make an appointment with your doc. but I don't think Fifths Disease is something that hangs around for that long. I had it a few years ago and did have the terrible joint pain, swelling and a rash but it was only for about 10 days. I hope you find an answer!

mommyfrog 09-06-2010 04:30 PM

When my sister had it, her doctor said the symptoms can last up to a year.

mg5g 09-08-2010 03:22 AM

Sorry for your loss Mama. My oldest had 5th disease when I was pregnant with DS3. He wasn't very sick at all - it lasted for about a week and was mostly just a rash. I was tested and I found out that I had never had it as a child. Evidentally most people will have it sometime in childhood but don't remember because it is a fairly minor illness in young kids. I had to avoid close contact with my DS for a few days but that was it my doctor and midwife were both not really worried about it.

mcpforever 09-08-2010 08:20 AM

First of all :bighug:

Most people have had fifth disease as a child and carry an immunity. Often times, it isn't even diagnosed and we don't know exactly when we get it. So chances are that you already had it earlier in life.

However it is also possible that you did not, contracted it during our pregnancy, and it contributed to the loss of your baby. :( Odds are against that though.

If you have it now, you will be building up immunity to it and won't have to worry about exposure during pregnancy ever again. If you don't have it now, you can still get your titers drawn to see if you have a previous immunity to it and set your mind at ease. Sadly, I don't think that you will get a definitive answer as to whether fifth disease was the cause of your loss.

I worked at a school during two of my pregnancies and both times, I got the frantic phone calls that one of my students had been diagnosed with fifth disease and for me to take precautions. The first time, I freaked out and researched, called my OB, and then figured that a)I probably already had immunity to it b) if I didn't there wasn't anything I could do about it this time and c) if I didn't at least I had the chance to catch it and become immune to it. The second time, I didn't even bat an eye. I lost that pregnancy and later found out it was a molar pregnancy and fifth disease had zero to do with it.

I still don't "know" that I have immunity to the disease. I am fairly certain that DS1 had it sometime during K while I was pregnant with DS2. Of course, by the time that it can be diagnosed it isn't contagious any more.

I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. :hugs: