Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Bye bye baby foods? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10686)

c2afwife 06-01-2006 12:25 PM

Bye bye baby foods?

At what age should the jared baby food be totally GONE? DD is still eating some of it. But she will eat some finger foods too. I am having trouble thinking of things to make/give her.
She has eaten this so far:

Green Beans
Corn
Broccoli
Peas
Cheese
Little winers
Bread
Pears
Banana
Cantaloupe
Cheerios
Thoes fruit/veggie puffs
Mac and Cheese
Pasta
Tryed Strawberries (didn't really like them)
Dill Pickle (I know....weird)
Yogurt

I think that is mostly it...We are going to the store and I want to get some more things for her to try.

Tobinnicole 06-01-2006 12:43 PM

Re: Bye bye baby foods?

mashed potatoes
small peices of deli meat like turkey
I dont know.... Im struggling with the same thing, my ped told me at her one year appt that we needed to stop the baby food and do all table foods. Its really hard for us because she is very picky and a slow gainer so every meal is a huge battle.

SheilaJoy 06-01-2006 12:44 PM

My kids always liked those gerber meat sticks. Not sure how healthy they are, but they loved them.

As for what age, I'm not sure. I usually did the baby food until the baby lost interest in eating them.

Lucky Child 06-01-2006 01:13 PM

I never gave dd jarred baby food. I know there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, but it seemed yucky to me personally. Obviously that is an irrational thing for me to believe, but oh well! I just gave her bits of anything I made from the start. Just whatever you are eating, give her little bits of it! Especially now that she's almost 1 :)

EasterBun 06-01-2006 01:16 PM

DD doesn't eat any babyfood at all... she was never really interested in mush.. she preferred (as DS did) to feed herself.. so she's been getting finger foods since about 8 months. There's not much she doesn't eat now, except for things I don't want her to have b/c of potential allergens.. anything with nuts, strawberries, etc and anything that is a choking hazard (large peices, hard foods, etc)... but basically if I'm eating it, she wants it ;)

The only thing she'll let me feed her with a spoon is yogurt.. she goes nuts for it :loveit:

wbkt8 06-01-2006 01:18 PM

we never did much baby food either - dd just simply wasn't interested. i know that some kids are pretty sensitive to texture - so maybe you might find it works to puree/mash some table food to a somewhat smooth consistency (whatever it is that she's eating now) and gradually increase the chunkiness. also maybe see if there are some finger foods that she enjoys picking up and playing with/eating.

hfitz5051 06-01-2006 07:30 PM

Watch with stawberries. They have vitamin c, with my first she liked them so much and ate so many that her urine started to irritate her.

Fullhouse 06-01-2006 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrandle
I never gave dd jarred baby food. I know there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, but it seemed yucky to me personally. Obviously that is an irrational thing for me to believe, but oh well! I just gave her bits of anything I made from the start. Just whatever you are eating, give her little bits of it! Especially now that she's almost 1 :)

That! My 6mo eats whatever I can feed him safely. Started with mashed bananas.

christinewith4 06-01-2006 08:02 PM

I dont think theree is anyhting wrong with giving baby foods as long as they' want them- epspcially if thats all theyll eat... for instance, Thomas is a very picky eater and will not/would not eat ANY vegetables except for baby food veggies sooooo, he was on all regular foods as a toddler except days when I couldnt get a veggie in him- then I pulled out my secret weapon- the BF veggies.... I dont know, maybe he thought it was pudding?...lol. but it worked.

I knew a mom who's baby was not gaining enough and they actually had her force feed baby food using a medicine serenge....be thankful she'll eat on her own at all... ;)

As for what to feed, by 9mths or so, they are ready for table foods- you just cut up a little of what ever you're eating, thats what they really want anyway. :thumbsup: