Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   "Man Meals"? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1069831)

sunshinejessica 09-10-2010 08:27 AM

"Man Meals"?

Anyone have any meals they make that their dh's LOVE? All the men in my life love pretty much all food, but there's always those "macho" meals that they RAVE over...ya know, hearty meat & potatoes type thing. Pioneer Woman calls hers "Cowboy Food" :giggle:

I'm looking for something yummy and hearty and filling to make for dinner tonight so my hubby can get a nice full tummy before work...anyone got any ideas?

natesgirl 09-10-2010 10:00 AM

Re: "Man Meals"?

like pot roasts, roast chicken, steaks, and what not?
I have some on my blog in my siggy.
we don't eat a lot of potatoes here, but you could always add them

smartie 09-10-2010 10:46 AM

beef stew and bread

amitchell98 09-10-2010 10:48 AM

My husband LOVES this chili pasta skillet dish that was in our cookbook. My son likes it too. I'm "eh" over it. It's alright :)

keonli 09-10-2010 10:53 AM

My DH loves lasagna and plain ol' fried chicken.

Weecycled Woolies 09-10-2010 10:55 AM

My dh loves sauteed chicken breasts (cut into cubes) with red, yellow, and green peppers. I add some garlic, vegetable seasoning, and a tiny bit of sesame seed oil. I fry that up and then put it on top of buttered rice. I also do the same thing with sausage and he loves both.

dairyfarmermama 09-10-2010 11:27 AM

When I'm in a hurry, and I haven't had all day to plan for a meal, I fry up a pound of hamburger, then add a bunch of diced potatoes and some green beans, and then a few cups of water. For a little flavor you might want to add salt and pepper or even a can or cream of chicken/mushroom soup. My husband loves it. You'll need a big pan or a pot to make it in. Keep the burner on a medium heat and let it cook/simmer for 20 minutes with cover on loosely or until the potatoes are done, and the water is evaporated or sucked up by potatoes. My husband also says I make the best roasts ever. I just take a thawed beef roast, put it in a deeper roasting pan with a lid and just cover the roast with water and then sprinkle some onions on. I cover it and put it in a 350 oven for 4 hours and during the last hour I'll throw some quartered potatoes in and maybe some carrots. Yummy! This will be the most tender roast you've ever had! Even more tender than crock pot made! Another hit with the husband is a new recipe I've tried that I saw on the today show. It is called lasagna roll ups. Boil your lasagna noodles and drain. In a bowl, mix onion and chive cream cheese with cottage cheese. Spread the mixture on one side of the noodles and roll up and put in a baking dish. Then put spaghetti sauce over the top of the noodles and put in a 375 oven for 25 minutes. I make the spaghetti sauce with hamburger to make it more of a hearty meal and the kids even love it! It is just a new easy way to make lasagna! Nummy! Happy cooking!

2queens&1princenmyhouse 09-10-2010 12:59 PM

My husband like porqupine meatballs. Mix ground beef, rice, minced onion, salt and pepper. Shape into meatballs and brown the outsides. Drain off grease and cover with cream of mushroom soup (I make my own-it's about 7 cups or 5ish cans if you go that route). Bake 1 hour in 350 degree oven. Serve over mashed potatoes using the mushroom soup as gravy.

Also round steak cooked in the crock pot. Brown steak and layer it with sauteed mushrooms and onions and beef broth. Cook several hours on low. Before serving, remove meat and place on platter-cover with cheese (we like plain old American slices). Let melt on own or put in microwave for a few seconds to melt. With the juice, mushrooms, onions that remain, place that in a saucepan and bring to boiling. Add cornstarch mixed with cold water to thicken and make a gravy. I also use my stick blender to puree the mushrooms and onions so the kids don't know they exist and then throw a few more pieces of cheese in that to melt as well. Serve over mashed potatoes.

WhiteRockMom 09-10-2010 01:08 PM

Pot roast is ALWAYS a hit with DH as is pulled pork (can be done in a slow cooker). Ribs are also good but the bbq sauce has to be the 'right' one...

Also, grilled steak, oven roasted potatos, oven roasted asparagus and a caeser salad are a good go to meal.

sunshinejessica 09-10-2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dairyfarmermama (Post 11192366)
When I'm in a hurry, and I haven't had all day to plan for a meal, I fry up a pound of hamburger, then add a bunch of diced potatoes and some green beans, and then a few cups of water. For a little flavor you might want to add salt and pepper or even a can or cream of chicken/mushroom soup. My husband loves it. You'll need a big pan or a pot to make it in. Keep the burner on a medium heat and let it cook/simmer for 20 minutes with cover on loosely or until the potatoes are done, and the water is evaporated or sucked up by potatoes. My husband also says I make the best roasts ever. I just take a thawed beef roast, put it in a deeper roasting pan with a lid and just cover the roast with water and then sprinkle some onions on. I cover it and put it in a 350 oven for 4 hours and during the last hour I'll throw some quartered potatoes in and maybe some carrots. Yummy! This will be the most tender roast you've ever had! Even more tender than crock pot made! Another hit with the husband is a new recipe I've tried that I saw on the today show. It is called lasagna roll ups. Boil your lasagna noodles and drain. In a bowl, mix onion and chive cream cheese with cottage cheese. Spread the mixture on one side of the noodles and roll up and put in a baking dish. Then put spaghetti sauce over the top of the noodles and put in a 375 oven for 25 minutes. I make the spaghetti sauce with hamburger to make it more of a hearty meal and the kids even love it! It is just a new easy way to make lasagna! Nummy! Happy cooking!

YUM! These all sound delicious!! Thanks for the recipes!

And thanks everyone else too for all your ideas and recipes! I didn't really have anything in particular in mind--it could be roasts, meats, casseroles, anything your man loves. :)

You know how it is, our men enjoy pasta and chicken but they REALLLLY love their steak, burgers, hearty & meaty casseroles, etc., right? Mine does anyway and all the males I know are like that too, so I'm always on the lookout for some recipes that will rock his socks. :giggle: