Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Who does or has dyed your hair while pregnant? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1071316)

TiffanyAnn 09-12-2010 02:54 PM

Who does or has dyed your hair while pregnant?

So...I only have about a month left in this, my second, pregnancy. I generally like to get hilights done in my hair, but it is more expensive and so I don't go very often....so sometimes to spruce up my look I'll dye it a little darker instead (I have naturally med. brown hair) since I can do that at home for super cheap. Well, I've purposely not dyed my hair anytime while pregnant with DD or this time (hilighting doesn't go in the roots, whereas dyeing does).
Unfortunately we are not going to be able to afford for me to get my hair done before baby or anytime really soon after, like I had wanted, but I really need to do something with my hair! I know it's not a "proven" risk to dye your hair while pregnant, and there are people that do it. What do you all think? I definitely would NOT do it during the first trimester, but do you think since I'm in my last month I should just do it? I could do it for super cheap myself.

jessesgirl 09-12-2010 03:09 PM

Re: Who does or has dyed your hair while pregnant?

I just did it. :)

I did go to sally's though, rather than wal mart. For basically the same price and a little extra work, I got a salon quality dye...for literally 1/10 of the price.

I say go for it, as long as your ob/mw gives you the all clear. Mine basically said the same thing you did, first trimester was the only time she'd have said no...

GL!

.hoodihoo.this. 09-12-2010 03:26 PM

it's perfectly fine to dye your hair while pregnant, roots or the entire thing.. my mom is a cosmetologist and get's asked this all the time or with people who have concerns. but there is no study showing that it does anything to harm. the only thing that is a must is getting it done in a well ventilated area.. that said, yeah i get my hair dyed while pregnant and i do the entire thing.. this pregnancy i havent only bc i don't trust any one to do my hair other than my mom and we just moved 2500 miles away lol so i might have to go with a box option and i don't know how well thats going to work bc i have a lot of blonde in my hair.. along with brown.. so if i dyed it brown.. then im probably going to be left with a copper tone on my blonde (it always happens).. but i can't dye it blonde bc then my brown will have a pinkish/copper tone lol. my mom always has to use a toner and we have no sally's near for her to give me the correct chemicals!

hazelsfluff 09-12-2010 03:32 PM

I was always told that breathing in the chemicals can be the only part of it that isn't recommended. Do it with a window open and a fan on and you're fine. On the other hand (I'm not pregnant anymore, but still) I recently tried Natural Instincts temporary glossing type stuff and it's lasted quite a while and spruces up my hair color without being harsh and stinky. Just an idea. ;)

supergirljennie 09-12-2010 04:14 PM

My DH does my hair :giggle: I have had my mother, SIL, and MIL do it before, but they always miss spots. DH takes care of me :D

lostiejen 09-12-2010 04:56 PM

I did with my first pregnancy and just a few days ago with this one. I figure as long as I'm not drinking it, the dye probably isn't that big of a deal. But I tend to be a pregnancy rebel anyway (I drink cola and frappucinos and eat cold deli sandwiches) so I may not be the best example to follow.

katina128 09-12-2010 05:06 PM

My OB said it was totally fine. I've gotten highlights since the 2nd trimester. Go for it!

redhairboy 09-12-2010 07:11 PM

Yep I did it. I waited until 2nd tri to do it. I did it last time as well. It will make you feel better;)

Pikemommy 09-13-2010 07:16 AM

I do mine. I've done the box from the store, and I've gone to Sally's to get a lower ammonia formula as well. A good option if you are still concerned about it.
I always want to try to look good in all those "1st" pictures. My hair might be a mess and my body all sweaty and gross, but at least my roots arent's showing!!!

zander's mama 09-13-2010 12:03 PM

Yup! DH dyed my hair twice with DS and once during this pregnancy. I'm thinking about having him do it one more time with this one yet too.