Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Yuck! BV and on Antibiotics! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1072429)

mommyrhino 09-14-2010 06:46 AM

Yuck! BV and on Antibiotics!

Okay...pregnancy isn't all that glamorous...but I complained on Friday of a huge increase in discharge to my OB...he did a culture and said I have Bacterial Vaginosis! YUCK! :yuck:
I've never had a yeast infection...or any other type of infection or bacterial type thing...so this is all new to me!
He put me on Flagyl for 7 days...and said he was not concerned about baby since I caught it pretty early and mentioned it to him right away...but I'm just wondering what little secrets you guys have to prevent this from happening again?
I'm sure it's probably b/c I'm pregnant that things are a little off down there...but b/c these sort of things have never been a problem before and I'm almost 30 years old I thought I wouldn't have to worry about them!
I know for yeast it's good to do things like yogurt and such...is there anything I can do preventative wise that works for BV?

mommyshanti 09-14-2010 06:56 AM

Re: Yuck! BV and on Antibiotics!

same thing with bv it is just a buildup of your bacteria but the bad guys taking over so probx(yogurt) can help
vit c,garlic
i have recurrent probs with it as do many women prego or not everything is against our vaginal flora it seems from foods the sugar i love,semen,soap ect
hopefully the anbx. knock it out for ya:)

jillsbabylove 09-14-2010 07:22 AM

Don't wash your lady parts with antibacterial soap.

Use something like ivory soap that's neutral.

mommyrhino 09-14-2010 12:58 PM

Thanks! I'll start taking a Vitamin C supplement now, and I'll switch soaps. I've been using Dove bodywash...but I think maybe I'll get something hypoallergenic or something and see if that helps!
Thanks again!

Fusion 09-14-2010 02:08 PM

actually be careful about the vitamin C so close to labor. I've been reading up on it and taking mega-doses can prevent coagulation and lead to excess bleeding.

MamaStick 09-14-2010 04:41 PM

I can't believe he put you on Flagyl.

BV is one of those things that, as my midwife/nurse prac says...you get rid of it, sit in the tub, and it's back. Sex, too.

A garlic insert will help, same as with yeast infections, but as another poster said- yogurt is going to help you the most.

mommyshanti 09-14-2010 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fusion (Post 11224484)
actually be careful about the vitamin C so close to labor. I've been reading up on it and taking mega-doses can prevent coagulation and lead to excess bleeding.

you shouldnt have more than 2000mg i believe but that is easy not to and still get your vit c

mommyshanti 09-14-2010 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jillsbabylove (Post 11220713)
Don't wash your lady parts with antibacterial soap.

Use something like ivory soap that's neutral.

people wash theri body with antibacterial soap:headscratch:
sorry if people do i just didnt know this

dove sensitive is pretty neutral also

mommyrhino 09-15-2010 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaStick (Post 11225735)
I can't believe he put you on Flagyl.

BV is one of those things that, as my midwife/nurse prac says...you get rid of it, sit in the tub, and it's back. Sex, too.

A garlic insert will help, same as with yeast infections, but as another poster said- yogurt is going to help you the most.

I think he put me on it b/c it was really bothering me...it was (sorry if TMI) really grose, smelly, and a lot of discharge. I think it might have gotten out of hand before I realized anything was wrong. Hopefully this will help me get it under control and if I do some of these "tricks" and tips it might help as well to keep it an a minimum. He did say that women do battle it once they have it...but because at the begining of my pregnancy I did not have it, he said it might just be pregnancy related for me b/c of the increase in moisture and discharge down there. When I started to notice the issues was a couple weeks ago when I started losing big chunks of mucus...so maybe it's just an increase in moisture thing.
My MW who I called first did recommend that I go on some type of anti-biotic only because she recently had a woman have her amniotic fluid get infected by the same bacteria that was common in BV...so I figure if both of them say take it...I trust them. But from now on I'm gonna do everything I can to prevent it. It's disgusting!

mommyrhino 09-15-2010 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommyshanti (Post 11227384)
you shouldnt have more than 2000mg i believe but that is easy not to and still get your vit c

My MW recommended a Vitamin C and Magnesium combo that seems pretty good...it has 1500mg of vitamin C and she thought that would work great since I LOVE my Magnesium!