Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Phew Weee (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10725)

greenkmt 06-01-2006 02:56 PM

Phew Weee

:newhere:I have a problem. I know that it has been talked about before, but I cannot figure it out based on the other responses and I need HELP!

I bought some diapers from some mammas on here. They are Fuzzi bunz. I recieved some, washed them in sun (they were clean already) and when I put them on him they smelled clean but the first time that he peed it smelled like raw sewage!:eww: I could barly take them off of him without puking!

So, I think to myself, maybe he just has stinky pee. I can deal. Then the next day I get some more Fuzzi Bunz from a different mamma, do the same thing and they don't stink when he pees in them.

I came on here and went to Wal-mart last night and bought my cleaning stuff.

Here is what I did...
Rinse in cold water with simple green...
Drain
Run water again with simple green and squirt of dawn...
Soak 1 hour
Drain
Hot water wash simple green, 1/3 recomended use of sun and 4 drops TTO
Drain
Rinse
Drain
Rinse

Then they get out, I stick them in the dryer on low heat. They dry half way and I notice the darn things have stains my baby made. I use them anyway but the stains are brown (will those sun out). First time he pees sewage again! :puke:. I don't know what to do.

I am a person that is really big on stuff smelling good or nothing at all so I am wondering if I have to give up on CD? I need help bad. PLEASE

mama23boys 06-01-2006 03:13 PM

Re: Phew Weee

well what i do is:

cold pre-rinse w/TTO
cold wash w/Allens
2nd cold rinse

ANOTHER Wash in hot w/Allens
1 more cold pre-rinse with TTO and GSE

i hang dry all my pockets and PUL covers!

you may need to stripe you diapers or add vingear to a rinse cycyle-i've heard that helps!

good luck and i'm sure someother mamas could offer more help :)

TwinKristi 06-01-2006 03:17 PM

I thought that FBs were stain resistant b/c of the material?? If they continue to smell that bad after sunning and stripping I would toss them! That's nasty. I have bought all but 3 of my FBs used and none have smelled at all! A couple I bought from one mom have a funky off white color instead of the bright white but I don't have any other issues with them. Jeeze! Good luck! Also try some Grapefruit Seed Extract to disinfect them... I just bought some GSE off Punkinbutt.com because of my sons immunizations and a recommendation to use GSE on the CDs afterwards.

Gwen 06-01-2006 03:47 PM

I got bad stink and after much urging from more expert cd Mom's I put about 1 tablespoon of bleach in with the smelly dipes ( I have a front loader - use more with a top loader) - worked great - i still have to do it about 1 time a month with a couple of the used dipes I got. Hope that helps!

Gwen

rowynne 06-01-2006 04:10 PM

I use simple green to wash my dipes but you still need washing soda with it. I dont use it alone. Not that that would make them stink. Its just you need detergent & surfectants to clean well.....its on the polkadots and pinstripes site. I also use dawn every now & then.

geckoed 06-01-2006 05:10 PM

most likely its the inserts. Wash everything on cold with 1/2 detergent. Wash on hot with a tablespoon of Dawn. Wash on hot w/o anything (or w/ TTO or w/ vinegar). You should be fine. Residue on a dipe plus pee equals STENCH

MamaLove 06-01-2006 05:25 PM

Baking soda in the 1st and last rinse may help, too. That's what the fuzzibuns creator does, and I did, too, and didn't get terrible smells. I've heard here about washing soda and simple green working together. I just put baking soda in the pail and in the rinse cycle of all my diapers, too, and that seems to get the bad smells out. Good luck!

fouradss 06-01-2006 10:59 PM

pp said about all I was going to say. You should be able to sun out the stains. Take a washed wet dipe and hand our place in full sun. Allow it to air dry. If the stains are bad you can spray with lemon juice, and it will almost always take out the stain. I have well water and me fleece eventually appears dingy. Lemon juice returns it back to bright white!!!! Only use it on white fleece, never on unbleached products as it will lighten them.

SheilaJoy 06-01-2006 11:28 PM

I have had this problem as well. I use baking soda in a cold soak and rinse first, then a hot wash with simple green and washing soda (like pp said, you have to use washing soda also). If they're really bad, I might do two cold washes first with just baking soda, and then the hot wash. Then another rinse on cold. Seems to do the trick.

Fuzzi Fannies Creations 06-01-2006 11:58 PM

It's most likley your inserts... run them thru lots and lots of hot washes with some baking soda..