Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   success story: overcoming insufficient glandular tissue (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1073772)

Shikoba 09-15-2010 09:05 PM

success story: overcoming insufficient glandular tissue

I had a miserable time bfing my son, I never produced more than 10 oz a day, I saw multiple lactation consultants, no one could figure out why I wasn't producing. I nursed him for 10 months while supplementing with formula.

Anyway, I had my daughter July 25th, and I was determined to make it work. I read Motherfood and The nursing mothers guide to making more milk. I felt like everything was going great, she seemed satisfied after nursing, was wetting enough diapers, ect... but when I took her in for her 2 wk check up and she had lost 13% of her body weight. I saw a LC and she pointed out my breast shape and that I could have IGT, I read up on it and was amazed! I started taking Goat's rue, saw palmetto, alfalfa, and fenugreek right away. The herbs worked! I have had a FULL supply for 3 weeks now. I supplemented her for almost two weeks. Weight gain is perfect now, and I can't believe I'm EBFing! I'm also eating a Lactogenic diet and it seems to be helping!

I just wanted to share, I'm really thrilled to be able to nurse full time!

themaelane 09-15-2010 09:12 PM

Re: success story: overcoming insufficient glandular tissue

Oh that's awesome! Congrats. What is you lactogenic diet, out of curiosity?

BNC 09-15-2010 09:17 PM

awesome! Im so glad those herbs worked for you! I am on a similar herbal regimen right now, and will start reglan once the baby is here. I only produced about 2-3oz a day with Kara total. I am hoping to be able to produce at least 10oz a day this time around, but all of the lactation consultants I have spoken to have reminded me not to get my hopes up, lol

I have breast hypoplasia.

Shikoba 09-15-2010 11:04 PM

Oh! Good luck bnc! I hope you are able to produce mre this time. I had IV reglan after I delivered, and I really think it gave me the boost I needed, my milk came in after 2days, it took 8 with my son.

Themaelane, I eat things like oatmeal with almond butter, add flax & sesame seedsto food, snack on hummus and carrots, use malt barley as a sweetener, among others. I also eat a lot of omega-3s, they have been shown to change the type of fat in breastmilk. The book motherfood gives very good explanations of why certain foods help with lactation. I highly rec. For anyone who is struggling! Here's the "shopping list" from it.

meats:
chicken
turkey
venison
crab
squid

grains:
barley (pearled or flakes)
oatmeal (whole or flakes)
corn meal (coarse or fine)
buckwheat
brown and white rice
quinoa
amaranth

legumes:
chickpeas
lentils
mungbeans
kidney, black or white beans
lima beans
green beans
peas

unsalted nuts and seeds:
sesame
black seeds (nigella sativa)
almonds
cashews
pecans
sunflower seeds
pumpkin seeds

Dried foods:
apricots
dates
figs

fresh fruits and berries
apricots
peaches
nectarines
plums
sweet cherries
figs
papaya
all berries (but take caution if you have low supply)

breads and crackers:
whole grain bread and crackers
pumpernickle
sour dough
rye
moshi, rice cakes

spreads:
tahini
gomasio
almond butter
hummus

natural, mineral-rich sugars:
malt syrup or powder
blackstrap molasses
honey
maple syrup

special foods:
coffee substitute based one barley, rye, figs, malt, chicory
green-drink
rice milk
almond milk
coconut flakes
coconut milk
seaweed

condiments:
onion
garlic
ginger root

oils:
cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
cold pressed sesame seed oil
coconut oil
butter

spices:
sea salt
fennel seed powder
cumin seed powder
fenugreek seed powder
fennel seed
dill seed
caraway seed
aniseed
turmeric
coriander
cinnamon
ginger
curry mix (mild)
basil
marjoram
thyme
black peppercorn

vegetables:
asparagus
artichoke
string bean or green bean
peas, snow peas, sugar peas
dark leafy green vegetables including butter lettuce, romaine, endive, arugula, baby spinach, water cress , dandelion greens, beet greens
radicchio
fennel
carrots
beets
cauliflower
broccoli
swiss chard
sweet potato or yam
potato
jerusalem artichoke
root of water lotus
kale

potentially anti-lactogenic if taken in large quantities
rosemary
thyme
peppermint, spearmint (food, candy, mint flavor
sage
parsley

possible anti-lactogenic for people with chronic low supply
soft drinks, carbonated beverages
coffee, black tea, green tea
chocolate
citric acid in foods and juice
vitamin c supplements
vitamin b6 - don't take more than 200 mg per day
aspartame
orange juice, citric fruit juice

THBVsMama 09-16-2010 10:27 AM

What an amazing story :yay: I am so happy for you and admire your determination. I know a few mamas with IGT who feel as though they cannot succeed so they do not even try. I hope your story reaches others with the same situation.

Shikoba 09-16-2010 08:04 PM

thank you! I feel like any amount of milk would have been awesome, but I am seriously blown away by my body working :) lol

palsmama 09-16-2010 08:21 PM

Amazing mama!! Congrats! Our bodies are amazing!

Bekki 09-21-2010 09:12 AM

I cried just reading your post! I have IGT and it was such a struggle with my daughter. I am currently 38 weeks pregnant with #2 and anxiously waiting to see if there will be a difference.

I've been working with Lisa Marasco who has had me taking herbs during the pregnancy - alfalfa, red raspberry leaf, nettle and red clover. At 35 weeks I added goat's rue and malunggay.

After birth, I plan on taking goat's rue, alfalfa, saw palmetto and malunggay.

If you don't mind sharing, did you notice any breast changes during the latest pregnancy? I have had some changes, though not as much as I would like. I'm trying to be optimistic, though. :)

If I don't manage to have a full supply, a wonderful mama on here has so far donated somewhere over 3000oz of breastmilk for our son, so no matter what, he will be getting just breastmilk. I would just LOVE to have a full supply... I just don't want to get my hopes up too high.

lj2blessed 09-21-2010 09:23 AM

Shikoba - great story, congrats to you and your baby girl!

Bekki - do you think you can get IV reglan like Shikoba had? Can you talk to your doc and IBCLC about it?

ChicanaCoqueta 09-21-2010 11:48 AM

yay :)

I'm so glad you found the resources you needed to help give your body a little boost.