Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   motherhood maternity scam? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1073852)

happyhats 09-15-2010 10:02 PM

motherhood maternity scam?

Has anyone heard of this scam where they will take your card and then charge you a subscription to parenting magazine without your permission? Has this happened to anyone here?

I got some items at a store and was told I'd get a complimentary issue of Parenting The Early Years. Since I paid with cash the lady said that I would get an invoice if I wanted to continue. She did say that if I paid with a cc I would be charged if I didn't cancel after the first issue. I got my trial magazine, didn't get anymore, and moved on, no biggie.

Recently I got a gift card to motherhood and purchased a few things online. I don't remember anything online talking about this magazine offer, but I did put in my credit card to cover shipping. I didn't even think of it, I have preggo brain of course. Now I'm reading about this scam issue and I'm nervous. I'll be checking my account often. I wonder if I should contact my bank?

Everything I've read about this scam talks about going to the store and having this happen, so I'm hoping that it won't be an issue if I shopped online. I wanted to pick up a few more things soon from motherhood but now if they are going to try to charge me more!

Fishie Kisses 09-15-2010 10:03 PM

Re: motherhood maternity scam?

I've never heard of it! Although, I've always declined the free issue as I would never bother to read it anyway.

laila 09-15-2010 10:10 PM

Yep, I just got charged and never received my free issue?! I will be calling to cancel though. Should be no problem but just a pain. Not really a scam since they tell you it is a trial, which is supposed to clue you in on that you will be charged. BUT I should have at least got the free issue. Darn people.

Lanae 09-15-2010 10:54 PM

I swear, I'm starting to hate the words "free trial".... I am going to be sure not to receive it!!!! To me, its a scam, even though technically they don't consider it as such, I do.

annikas_mommy 09-15-2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanae (Post 11236929)
I swear, I'm starting to hate the words "free trial".... I am going to be sure not to receive it!!!! To me, its a scam, even though technically they don't consider it as such, I do.

I'm totally with you. The phrase "nothing is life is REALLY free" most definitely applies to "free" trials.... I also agree that it's not technically a scam since they tell you they're going to do it, but I think it's ugly business nonetheless.

happyhats 09-16-2010 12:10 AM

did you shop online or at the store? I cannot for the life or me remember seeing anything about the parenting magazine online. A lot of people are saying that they never were told about the parenting magazine and then got charged, which is why they are calling it a scam (I was googling maternity clothes, etc and came upon this). I guess I'll just be on the lookout for fishy charges and the magazine coming to me. I'm just worried this will come one day when we're short on money or something, grr.

NEWBUTWILLING 09-16-2010 05:29 AM

Huh never heard of it...I was never asked about the magazine when I shopped there 2 years ago and I plan on shopping there again. I would decline it anyways but its good to keep an eye out for. Unless the ones I shopped at didn't do their jobs about advertising it I just got a free bag of goodies.

CokeLover 09-16-2010 06:27 AM

My MIL was charged with her knowing! They never once said anything about the magazine she got one in her name for me and then the next month they charged her account. She was not happy and called Motherhood about it!! It does and can happen. I refuse all items as I hate the "free trial" crap. I also don't give them my name address or any of that stuff either because they sell your name!

mkekaty 09-16-2010 07:00 AM

They always explain it very clearly at the stores here. I would be angry if they did it without me knowing!

Jaxence 09-16-2010 10:02 AM

I was just wondering why I was still getting them after they had expired...I wonder if I got charged without my permission...Wow that makes me mad...