Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   1 hour Glucose Tolerance Test came back high.. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1076963)

AleahDeann 09-20-2010 10:48 PM

1 hour Glucose Tolerance Test came back high..

Hey mamas,

So I am Pregnant with #2 and had my 1 hour GTT on Friday, they called me this morning to schedule the 3 hour test because my levels from the 1 hour were high. They consider under 130 passing and mine were 150.

Has anyone had similar results with their 1 hour, and what were your results then with the 3 hour? I didnt have GD with my first pregnancy, and am thinking that maybe the Chocolate cheesecake I had the night before my 1 hour test might have affected it? I totally spaced the fact that something so sugary 12 hours before the test might affect it, but it was my DS's birthday.

Any stories would be great to hear, just wondering what I should expect out of the 3 hour test.

jamilynn84 09-21-2010 04:09 AM

Re: 1 hour Glucose Tolerance Test came back high..

I failed my 1 hour test, but "technically" passed my 3 hours test. But the numbers on my 3 hour tests were so borderline (and i was GD with DS) so they sent me to the nutritional training anyhow. Good hting i was monitoring though, my fasting levels no matter how strict i was on the diet were high, and ended up needing medication with this one... boo.
3 hour test is boring... just keep track of the time. They test before you drink it and after each hour. With DS i had to retake the test because the lady at the lab got busy and missed the 2 hour mark!!!! I wasn't paying attention, just sitting in the waiting room reading. Don't be afraid to tell them when it's time to test, even if they're busy. You get a little leeway, but she missed mine by over 20 minutes.

kbstanley3 09-21-2010 07:53 AM

When I was pregnant with DD, I failed my 1 hr one. I had eaten cereal right before my appt (oops!) but easily passed the 3 hour. My blood sugar was really high for the 1 hour one, too (I think it was like, 200?).

AleahDeann 09-21-2010 02:23 PM

Thanks for the replies mamas. I go in tomorrow morning so am watching my eating today and am leaving out my cookies. :)

hippieintraining 09-21-2010 04:59 PM

I was barely over the upper limit for the 1 hour and was totally fine on the 3. I did both tests in the AM without having eaten anything before.

Good luck!!

Lisa_delo 09-21-2010 05:22 PM

I never do them, but I hear a lot of mama's fail the first but pass the 2nd just fine.

tedcgh 09-21-2010 07:38 PM

First pg my blood sugar was a lot higher than yours on the 1 hour. I passed the 3 hour with flying colors, actually went hypoglycemic with it. So definitely no GD then. This pg I passed the 1 hour without any probs. Food the day before can definitely cause a higher number on the 1 hour. Be careful with your diet the day before the 3 hour and keep hydrated up to the point of your test. Good luck.

carolyn 09-21-2010 08:30 PM

I failed my 1 hour test with DD just barely, so had to go back in for the 3 hour--which I passed easily. I think the bowl of frosted flakes I had just before that first test probably didn't help my numbers...oops! :giggle:

The most annoying thing about the 3 hour is the waiting--lots of it. Plus you will probably walk out looking like you're some sort of drug addict with all those bruises from the needle pokes! I found it easier to get the sugary drink down with a straw too. Good luck, mama!

tygr2410 09-21-2010 08:34 PM

i just do the finger pricks and testing for 1 week..it's more accurate anyhow

tangerinesky6 09-21-2010 08:44 PM

I took my 1hr last week, still waiting on a call b/c I didn't know I was getting the test, I had coffee just before the test! Soooo I'm pretty sure they'll be calling me for a 3hr test. :\