Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   International (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   uk mums (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1079151)

LindsLuvsSi 09-24-2010 07:01 AM

uk mums

Any one else having issues with hard water and cloth diapering?? what do you do/use to battle the issue?

(I posted a thread in the Q&A board in regards to diaper rashes....
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1079106)

I tried everything...a gal on another board believes it's our hard water, which I am beginning to believe as well since nothing else fixes the issue.

I need help, please!!!

MeCo7707 09-24-2010 08:11 AM

Re: uk mums

It's the hard water - it killed my diapers when I moved here and with DD2 she has rash anytime she is in a dipe. You can try different liners, I was thinking about asking around the "real nappie" networks, there is a store in Ipswich that is really helpful and as I recal they have a special detergent, maybe that would help?

LindsLuvsSi 09-24-2010 09:18 AM

whew, glad i'm not hte only one! thanks! :)

jesr 09-28-2010 03:25 AM

I was worried about hard water over here doing a number on my diapers. Im not due til March but not looking forward to new issues this time. Good luck figuring it out, maybe it will save me some research time :)

LindsLuvsSi 09-30-2010 10:50 AM

this is what I did and it seemed to work. let's hope it keeps it up!

I did an empty wash with about 50-60ml white vinegar in the detergent drawer and put the washer on 90C. (i will be doing this maintainence wash every month)

Then for the diapers I stripped them with about 5 drops (about 2 teaspoons) of original Fairy dishsoap) on 60C and then did about 4 rinse cycles to make sure all the soap was gone.

My wash routine now is: cold cycle no detergent, hot cycle on 60C with about 60ml of Ariel powder and 60ml of Calgon (for hard water) and then an extra wash cycle on 40C. Then of course dry in the dryer on low.

This seemed to work. Hope it continues too, no rashes!! :) so i'm happy.
Hope this may help someone else too?

blackcomb 05-08-2011 04:55 AM

Back in the Uk end of the month myself after living in Canada for 4 yrs, thank goodness as no offence but the system in Canada is a bit corrupt if you ask me, and not very efficient, and I can't wait to get back to our Great Britain myself.
I will appreciate it more too for experiencing Canada long enough.

I meant to say, I bet your bill is high for so many rinses per wash and cycles? eeeek.

I am dreading it if hard water affects my diapers, and I have to admit I used to hate how it affected my hair but at least it looked thicker for it than it does currently. Heh.

SashaE80 05-27-2011 02:28 PM

I have hard water, i need to do a vinegar wash about once a month. I also need a little more powder than i'd expect. One thing that has been recommended to me, but i have not yet tried so cant comment on it is citric acid. It apparently is very good at removing the lime, i really should get round to it.

emma78 05-30-2011 08:12 PM

Gosh, this thread has reminded me that I should strip my nappies down. I'm just outside London and our water is just so hard!

saraendepity1 06-27-2011 01:42 AM

have you tried rockin green hard rock?

jobeama 08-17-2011 03:31 PM

Strip washing using washing up liquid or a dishwasher tablet is the easiest way I think, then rinse rinse rinse!
To wash my nappies I run a cold rinse then use a half dose of detergent with a dessert spoonful of soda crystals to soften the water on 40 if they're going on the line to sun out or 50 when drying on the airer indoors. I live in Cardiff & have had no problems in 4 1/2 months of using cloth :)