Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I want to bf for over 1 year with my next.... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10808)

Sarah0903 06-01-2006 07:06 PM

I want to bf for over 1 year with my next....

but I have a lot of people telling me it is a gross thing. One of my close friends bf her son up to one year but she said anything over is borderline molestation. How do you all feel. I really want to bf at least until 18 months but need the support.

Fullhouse 06-01-2006 07:13 PM

Re: I want to bf for over 1 year with my next....

My dd nursed until 2.5, and she's 8 and just fine. I am nursing ds2(2yo) & 3(6mo) now. It's not gross. Perfectly normal in most of the world.

ChurchPunkMom 06-01-2006 07:16 PM

It's not gross and only in our distorted American views is it even abnormal. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends bf for at least one year. Not at most, at least. The World Health Organization recommends bf for at least 2 years - again, not at most at least. You want to do your best for your child. Your best, not meet the minimum recommendation. ;)

Irishmommy 06-01-2006 07:18 PM

What's gross about feeding your child? I always thought it was recommended to bf until age two and then after that as long as mutually acceptable. I think the mutually acceptable part for mommy and baby is the key to a healthy nursing relationship. Most people who are "grossed out" by the thought of bfing an older child, are usually uninformed. I say nurse as long as you can, it is healthier for your child in the long run. I nursed my ds until 18months, when he self-weaned. He is 5 now and is not traumatized in the least.
GL mamma!

bethanyjoy 06-01-2006 07:20 PM

I b/f my oldest until he self-weaned at 3.5, my younger son is almost weaned (mostly his own, a little gentle encouragement due to my pregnancy) at age 23 months.

http://www.kellymom.com has lots of research about "Extended" breastfeeding. I'd suggest taking time to educate yourself, and see how you feel.

:hugs:

bfoster2000 06-01-2006 09:18 PM

I love kellymom! Another great site with info about breastfeeding throughout history and around the world is http://www.kathydettwyler.org/dettwyler.html. Check out her commentaries and links sections for some REALLY interesting reading.

There really is nothing gross about breastfeeding a toddler. You just have to take it one day at a time and do what feels natural. It is a little wierd to look at an older child in a store or the park and think about picking that kid up and nursing him but when it's your own child and you've been doing it every day, you don't even notice. It's not weird...it's just doing what you've always done. They don't change from babies to kids overnight...it's a gradual thing.

I applaud you for giving this a lot of thought and doing research and seeking out support right now, but honestly, my advice would be to hold off on trying to change the world and just take things one step at a time. Do your research and discuss it with people who have done extended breastfeeding so that you can get a feel for what to expect and what's normal, but if you know your family or friends are not going to be supportive, then don't worry about them for now. You'll find that between 6-12 months, you'll get a lot of pressure to wean, but after that, most people will assume that you have and won't bring it up. By that time, chances are you'll be nursing a lot less so most people won't see it. Maybe that's bad because it keeps extended breastfeeding "in the closet" so to speak, but some of us are just not cut out to be lactivists so we have to do what's right for our families and distance ourselves from the naysayers.

Good luck!

allycat 06-01-2006 09:26 PM

I used to think it was strange, but now I wish I had bf mine longer. For health reasons for my last and for bonding and nuturing reasons for all 4. I bf the first 3 until 1 and then bf my son until 15 months he basically weaned himself though and didn't have that much interest. I think it is great to bf after 1 year:thumbsup: , and wish I had.

vanilla 06-01-2006 10:38 PM

I'm pretty sure most 13, 17, or even 26 month olds do not feel "molested" in the least....that is really a product of the american media or something. Boobs are for babies!!!!!

a_cthelen 06-01-2006 10:42 PM

Wow, gross? That's a new one to me. I've always thought that a child being nurtured off his/her mother's breast was a beautiful thing! You should BF as long as the two of you love it.

Cindy 06-02-2006 01:41 AM

There are too many idiots in the world. :rolleyes:

I used to be one of them. :blush: I wasn't around ANYONE that nursed. Mom said she nursed all 5 of us for a bit tho. My sister nursed for 3 days and then quit. All other family members didn't nurse either. And they all said past 1 is gross so I did too. :yuck:

Well Erik turned a yr and OMG he was still such a baby and needed me. I nursed him till about 20m and then I stopped, it just wasn't right anymore. He wasn't that attached, he just quit w/o a problem.

I plan to nurse Jack till 2 this time. I LOVE nursing. EVERYTHING about it. :goodvibes:

Nurse your next as long as you want. DH jokes that Jack will be nursing when he's 14...lol.