Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Milk and vomiting? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10828)

hfitz5051 06-01-2006 07:27 PM

Milk and vomiting?

I recently switched Hazel to cow'm milk(from formula) Well, the other day she threw up twice, this was a few days into the switch, so I gave her some of this other formula I had here(for older babies) and milk too. Once that was gone I went back to all milk and tonight she threw up again. Is she maybe just drinking too much? Both times was after she ate(lunch/dinner) and then wanted milk. But it was *gross tmi* chunky curdled milk looking.

Shanna 06-01-2006 07:46 PM

Re: Milk and vomiting?

My kids both got sick from milk the other day. DS has drank milk for a long time. DD only drinks a little occasionally as she's still bf. I tossed what was left of the carton, called costco to report it, and bought more. They haven't been sick since. The sell by date was 6/6 and this happened a few days ago. My Mom ( a microbiologist) said it was entirely possible there might have been some kind of bacterial contamination and that they wouldn't even know it unless there was a cluster of cases. I originally thought DD had the stomach flu, and wasn't surprised when DS got sick too. But both times it was right after they had milk. And they had no other symptoms and no other vomiting.

Try a new gallon, but if it still happens maybe there's a milk allergy or sensitivity? .

*MamaStacy* 06-01-2006 07:51 PM

This happened to my daughter when she was a baby. Right after she turned 1, we switched her to cows milk. I was noticing that she was throwing up when she'd get the milk. Sure enough, she was lactose intolerant and she drank soymilk til she was 3. Then we tried her on cows milk again and she did fine, no problems since....she'll be 4 in a few weeks. She wasn't able to drink regular formula as a baby either, she had to drink soy.

hfitz5051 06-01-2006 08:11 PM

Ok, she just did it again. None of the other kids got sick, and they both had the milk today. I just bought this gallon today, and this is only the second day it happened, like a week apart. I think if it was an allergy it would be every time? And she was on regular formula before the milk.

drenotdoctor 06-01-2006 08:20 PM

My ds is allergic to "regular" cows milk. Micah did the same thing...puke, a lot. He has to have organic. I know that seems weird, but his ped says he sees it all the time. I would cut the milk out for awhile, and then introduce soy, or hormone free organic milk. Maybe try & limit the amount she is drinking. It is a big step to change from formula to cows milk. If that doesn't work, you might want to ask your ped about a step 2 formula to help transition her a little easier. Adn if you want tor ead up on some disturbing news about milk, visit www.milksucks.com . We drink milk, and lots of it. (just bought 5 gallons! :eek:) LOL, but after I read that, I just couldn't bring myself to drink it for a couple days. lol

a_cthelen 06-01-2006 10:52 PM

Many children are allergic to cows milk b/c of the proteins. I would not have her drink it for at least a week, preferably longer as it can take awhile for it to exit her system completely. My ds is allergic to it through my breast milk- go figure!