Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   SOOOOOO MAD what would you do????***MAGICALLY he was not forced today**** (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10842)

TaivensMama 06-01-2006 09:17 PM

SOOOOOO MAD what would you do????***MAGICALLY he was not forced today****

OK ladies my son came home from his school today (we have only been there for a couple weeks now) and told me he is being forced to eat at school...he gets hot lunch like the majority of the kids and the cafateria duty walks around forcing the kids to eat everything on their plate AND my son was told to get corn, the man said his scoop was not big enough so made him get three large scoops! and forced him to eat it all!...Now aside from my son having sensory integration The school or its employees has NO RIGHT to force him to eat CORRECT???? they have personal rights! Not to mention with sensory integration the texture of many vegetables gag my son he is luvky he didnt get a plate full of puke! But this is how eating disorders are formed children being told to eat everything on their plates or forced to eat things...I am all for having them taste new things but I don't eat things I don;t like we shouldn't force children to eat things just to feel powerful or have control...OH I AM SO MAD...he of course told me all this after school hours so I have to wait till morning which is probably to their benefit because I am SO FLIPPIN PISSED...ok now for advice what should I say wihtout making a total scene...does anyone have a link to documentation stating they have personal rights and the school has no authority over what they should eat! please guys help me out I want to be prepared and have things to back me up. Thanks for letting me vent!

allycat 06-01-2006 09:40 PM

Re: SOOOOOO MAD what would you do??????

That is crazy!! That is asking for trouble. You should discuss this with the school. So sorry that he had to go through that. I hate how schools decide how everything is when parents are not there!! They think they know everything. That is a control game!

toryandrew 06-01-2006 09:49 PM

I thought the same thing was going on at our daycare. Many studies have shown that force feeding leads to eating issues like obesity, eating disorders and future dietary problems. :nono:

I would calm down, write up what you want to say so you get it off your chest and have it for a meeting with the principal which I would schedule tomorrow morning. I'm sure this guy is violating policy or at least power-tripping on the poor kids. Not okay. :dontlikeit:

:hugs:

singlemomto3 06-01-2006 09:52 PM

I think it is common at most schools to encorage the kids to eat. Kids get talking and stop eating and are hungry later. At my kids school they won't let them get 2nds unless they have tried everything, from what i understand. I'll have to ask hailey in the morning to be sure. Good luck talking to the school, it may not be worth too big of a fuss since its almost over, and you don't want to cause your son more difficulties.

mommypatton521 06-01-2006 09:53 PM

omg i can't give any advice but i'd be POed good luck let us know what happened!

hfitz5051 06-01-2006 09:53 PM

I don't know much about sensory integration, but that is NOT right under any circumstances! You need to raise a stink! Call, write, whoever you can.

AttachedMama 06-01-2006 09:57 PM

Wow I can't believe that! At our school the kids aren't made to eat any specific thing from their trays.

As far as finding something stating that they can't force them to eat, I'd google your city + public schools (assuming it's a public school) and you should be able to find their main website that has all the guidelines and contact info for everyone up to the Superinendent. Good luck!

MamaLove 06-01-2006 10:02 PM

I second writing everything you feel down. Google and print up some evidence for eating disorder causes. Specify your ds's condition. Give them a good wake up call tomorrow morning, mama! And don't back down, that is completely wrong in so many ways. I'd start packing lunches from now on.

In my research, I found that all of the old, leftover meat products that don't have anywhere to go end up in school cafeterias, and corn is genetically modified unless it is organic, so your ds is better off not eating what they offer, anyways. :yuck:

TaivensMama 06-01-2006 10:06 PM

Thank you ladies! and Yes I do need to address this issue and not let it go because the year may be near to being over but there are years to come this school goes to 12th grade and I am in aggreeance for them to try things on their plate but to be forced to eat it all and then be told to get three huge scoops for not getting enough for this mans liking! I have worked with people like this before and its all about control and power that is why they work with kids they can rule them arounda nd get that need met feeling like they are oh so powerful! Makes me SICK! I am so mad that we left a school we loved everything about...so I hope to get that again here but i may have to do some investigating and I would rather not move my son again as he is finally settled in at this school...:banghead:

Terrie 06-01-2006 10:44 PM

:hugs: Be strong. Keep us updated.