Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   I NEED no-cry sleep solutions for a 2 year old (no crib) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1089437)

3 ladybugs 10-10-2010 06:11 PM

I NEED no-cry sleep solutions for a 2 year old (no crib)

My son started having problems with going to bed about half way through my radiation (in June). At the time I assumed that he was having issues with me leaving before he woke up to go and get said radiation (daddy was here but he isn't mommy). So when I got finished I tried to give him reassurance that I wasn't going anywhere. His behavior has got worse not better.

I thought that this was a cancer problem so I posted my problem on a lymphoma board and they told me that this is developmental for his age. So therefore I am asking here.

Right now I am sleeping with him about 80% of the time (sometimes more). I thought he was scared of the dark so I put a nightlight in his room, which freaked him out, and was quickly removed. We have since purchased a ladybug that puts stars out and he loves his "bug" and that seems to help with that.

We are not expecting him to not climb into our bed at all. Obviously if he isn't feeling well or gets scared he can do that. I also don't mind if he finishes the night in our bed... say around 4 or 5 am. However right now we have issues even getting to 4-5.

DH is ready to do CIO and I am not. I still have issues with me having cancer and not being able to be the kind of mom I wanted to be. I am fine now but mommy guilt runs deep. :(

So what has worked for you? My son sleeps in a twin bed (Ikea Kura at the lower setting, not loft). I should also add that my son is not in diapers anymore even at night. I am willing to try anything at this point.

Thank you for your help... sorry this was so long. :blush:

ETA We do have a nighttime routine with him with putting on PJ's, brushing teeth then reading a story till he falls asleep. Though sometimes he seems to need to be read to for hours. He still needs his nap as by his behavior in the afternoon, so I am not sure what more we can do to change his routine.

wooly_wonderful 10-10-2010 06:17 PM

Re: I NEED no-cry sleep solutions for a 2 year old (no crib)

My DS is 2 1/2 & recently he started crying again when we laid him down. Now, he takes 1 toy & 1 book to bed with him. When we leave he gets up and quietly plays, then when he is ready he lays down & reads until he falls asleep. Have you tried letting him play quietly for a little while?

3 ladybugs 10-10-2010 06:23 PM

No I haven't tried to let him play. :headscratch: His daddy used to read to go to sleep. Maybe that is what DS needs.

Anyone else have any ideas? I would like to have a list of things to try. :)

wooly_wonderful 10-10-2010 06:43 PM

I've got another idea for you. I asked my DH & he said that when Nathaniel starts crying he goes in there and lays down with him & talks to him. He said that he talks in a low whisper & tells him how much fun they are going to have the next day & the things they are going to do, but he won't be able to do them until he goes to sleep. That usually calms him down.

Suz22 10-10-2010 07:00 PM

Do you run white noise for him? Our DS at 2 was waking from noises (took me a while to figure that one out!) but stopped when I bought a white noise machine. Now we turn on his crickets and all is well!

MinkaK 10-11-2010 01:32 AM

Is your son tired at night? and I mean tired. I can totally tell the difference with my son and daughter the days we go to the park and the ones we do not.

ETA; I cosleep with both so their waking up for reassurance I am there is no problem for me. I just notice ( like tonight) that both kids were alseep by 900pm and now at 1230am neither have have made a sound.

nw mummy 10-11-2010 12:16 PM

With our second one once she moved out of our room, we got a crib mattress and put it on the floor of our bedroom and told her that if she needs to come in she can come in and sleep on her special mattress, but she can't wake mummy and daddy up until morning. She did it for a while and then stopped coming in. I don' t know if you know but there is a toddler version of the book The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley which was really helpful to us.