Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   eczema and milk sensitivity - what now? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10906)

Tracylhl 06-02-2006 05:57 AM

eczema and milk sensitivity - what now?

My dd has had problems with eczema since this winter. Before that, never showed any sensitivity to diet. After trying to bathe less, more moisturization, all that kind of stuff, not using wool so much, I finally cut out milk. After just one day of not drinking milk, her skin seems MUCH better. That's great. I'm thrilled to have it getting better, but my question is what do I give to my 18 m. old little girl so that she gets ample calcium? Stuff that little ones will actually eat!

keegans_mommy 06-02-2006 06:07 AM

Re: eczema and milk sensitivity - what now?

my, almost 4 year old, son has terrible eczema and we cut out most dairy and his is manageable to almost non-existant!

He is on soy milk ONLY and if we have ice cream, he sometimes get's dairy but I try and keep soy ice cream available to him. We don't eat alot of cheeses or other diary products and just simply cutting out drinking milk really helped a ton!

Actually, my kids LOVE the chocolate Silk and I use the vanilla soy milk for my milk shakes. The protein is unbeatable!

You can do this! There are so many products available without milk in them. Don't go nuts! Just cut out the major source of dairy, like we did, and see if that helps. Don't go crazy looking for milk products in every label. :hugs:

Tracylhl 06-02-2006 06:20 AM

Thanks, but do you worry about giving soy to your kids? Especially the girls. I've read a lot about the estrogen loads in it and the possiblity of raising cancer rates, etc. What do you know about that?

navars2 06-02-2006 08:52 AM

I'm having the same problem with my DS (9 months old). If he even gets something like Club crackers (butter cracker), he breaks out in horrible eczema rash that he scratches bloody. :( Definately interested in what others do.

heather_c 06-02-2006 08:59 AM

You could look at rice or goat milk. I think there are fortified versions available. For calcium, you could look at fortified OJ. I am also a little leary about soy milk in large quantities.

My DS also has an eczema reaction whenever I have dairy in my diet as he is breastfeeding. I have been dairy free since January, and his eczema is non-existent. I have been looking into options other than cow's milk for when he is older. I will be interested in what others have to say as well.

childers521 06-02-2006 09:24 AM

Try goat milk - it is pretty $$ but its the closest in flavor to cow milk. I found some vanilla almond milk at the store this week that I'm sure most kids would LOVE - it's tastes a LOT better than soy milk. Also, you can get calcium fortified orange juice and maybe even apple juice now. you can also look for a chewable vitamin with extra calcium in it - I think Flintstones makes one.

My kids were/are allergic to dairy as babies, so I have dealt with this and am dairy free right now because I am still nursing my 1 yo.

keegans_mommy 06-02-2006 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracylhl
Thanks, but do you worry about giving soy to your kids? Especially the girls. I've read a lot about the estrogen loads in it and the possiblity of raising cancer rates, etc. What do you know about that?

My girls don't drink it daily, just occasionally. :) And there are worse things out there that cause cancer than soy so I have to pic my battles. But there is also other milks: almond and rice too ;)

Tracylhl 06-02-2006 11:30 AM

Thanks everyone. Keegan's Mom, I definately understand picking your battles and was not trying to insult you at all. Just curious what you had learned. Sorry if it came off bad.

I haven't tried Rice Milk before. Had forgotten all about the fortified OJ and other juices. Thanks for the reminder! Okay, I've got some good info to run with! Thanks ladies.

keegans_mommy 06-02-2006 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracylhl
Thanks everyone. Keegan's Mom, I definately understand picking your battles and was not trying to insult you at all. Just curious what you had learned. Sorry if it came off bad.

Not at all! It's so hard to have the right tone in replies on the net! :hugs: I don't know everything healthy out there and am looking for the best stuff and soy is working for us for now. And is more readily available to us in this little town than rice or almond milk so it's soy for now. :) What you said, though, is good food for though ;)

Mom2Mia 06-02-2006 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keegans_mommy
my, almost 4 year old, son has terrible eczema and we cut out most dairy and his is manageable to almost non-existant!

He is on soy milk ONLY and if we have ice cream, he sometimes get's dairy but I try and keep soy ice cream available to him. We don't eat alot of cheeses or other diary products and just simply cutting out drinking milk really helped a ton!

Actually, my kids LOVE the chocolate Silk and I use the vanilla soy milk for my milk shakes. The protein is unbeatable!

You can do this! There are so many products available without milk in them. Don't go nuts! Just cut out the major source of dairy, like we did, and see if that helps. Don't go crazy looking for milk products in every label. :hugs:

That's what we do too - we haven't had real dairy in our house in months! Mia's eczema is basically completely under control now. We do occasionally get ice cream or sometimes she'll get some cheese on pizza or something - and I know that she'll probably have a minor breakout when she does- but we use ehr cream and it goes away.

Going away from dairy is much easier than you'd think. We really prefer 8th Continent, but I can get a gallon and a half of Silk at Costco for 6.88 so we drink that cause it's sooo much cheaper!