Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   this is insane!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10931)

marisal 06-02-2006 07:44 AM

this is insane!!

i have been washing/rinsing my diapers for DAYS now and they still repell! just to make sure i understand the meaning of the word... when i put water on the diaper it sits there for a few seconds and then soaks in. actually, i can run it around the diaper like mercury first. i am now boiling the diapers on my stove hoping that will work. this has gone on waaaayyyy tooo long.
i'm starting to go crazy...
help, my diapers, please....:cry:

Namaste 06-02-2006 08:03 AM

Re: this is insane!!

Have your tried water softener?

marisal 06-02-2006 08:04 AM

nope... don't even know what it is:blush: i assumed living in the big city (nyc) our water would be fine.

raversangel 06-02-2006 08:11 AM

ok so i know this is the hated word....but bleach....i had the same issue and gave up, put bleach in and all the sudz came to the top! it was nice...yeah i feel a bit guilty, but i'd rather have a dipe that works...lol...kwim?

marisal 06-02-2006 08:26 AM

i'm on my way to put some in right now... after this i give up!

bfoster2000 06-02-2006 08:47 AM

Actually, I've read that you can't really test whether a dipe will repel by just dribbling water on it for a couple of reasons.
1. Urine has a different chemical makeup than water (different sized molecules) so it may be easier/harder for it to get through the fabric.
2. When the baby pees, the fabric is right up against their skin and they shoot a stream of pee through it...not quite the same thing as dropping a few drops on.

Maybe it's time to try the dipes on again and see if you're still having issues with them in action. I know that I've never had any problem with any of my diapers in use, but any time I've tried to just drop some water on them, it sits there in a bead for a minute before soaking in. All different diapers and different fabrics have always done the same but they all work fine on the booty.

marisal 06-02-2006 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfoster2000
Actually, I've read that you can't really test whether a dipe will repel by just dribbling water on it for a couple of reasons.
1. Urine has a different chemical makeup than water (different sized molecules) so it may be easier/harder for it to get through the fabric.
2. When the baby pees, the fabric is right up against their skin and they shoot a stream of pee through it...not quite the same thing as dropping a few drops on.

Maybe it's time to try the dipes on again and see if you're still having issues with them in action. I know that I've never had any problem with any of my diapers in use, but any time I've tried to just drop some water on them, it sits there in a bead for a minute before soaking in. All different diapers and different fabrics have always done the same but they all work fine on the booty.

ahhhh... just what i needed to hear. this is the last wash cycle for those poor diapers. if they weren't pilly before they sure are now! :goodvibes:
maybe all the washing is making them super soft!
thanks.
marisa

Namaste 06-02-2006 09:16 AM

Calgon water softener is found in the detergent isle. But not in every store. I think my dh got ours Kmart.

I find that living in a city our water is hard because it is so very treated.

:)

raceNzanesmom 06-02-2006 09:30 AM

What dipes are you using? Are they new? Unbleached? Cotton/hemp? What's your wash routine? You can call your water dept to find out what kind of water you have. I have hard, but didn't care for Calgon since it made fleece stinky. I've only had true repelling once on fleece and s/c and that was after using Sportwash for a couple weeks. I had to scrub with Dawn and a nail brush, rinsed by hand, then did a hot wash- no detergent.

I agree with bfoster. Try the dipes. The dribbling water never works for me either.