Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early Arrivals (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   What type of baby-wearing sling/holder do you use? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1093156)

howmanykids 10-16-2010 07:04 PM

What type of baby-wearing sling/holder do you use?

We have a typical ring sling, and a boppy sling....i was super excited about the boppy sling, until I put her in it...she just curls right up :( I don't like her head being on her chest. I have not put her in the ring sling yet (she fell asleep) but am planning on putting her in it to go to church tomorrow....what do you like to use on your premie? she was 34 weeks at birth, and at last weight was 5#, 8oz.

Tomorrow is her first "outing" and I really wanted to her in a sling to keep other ppl away from her....we are Catholic, and in our services, we do a lot of standing, kneeling, etc. and the thought of her just in her car seat with ppl behind us in the pews to cough, touch, or sneeze on her scares me! I woiuld LOVE to hold her, but were told to keep holding down to a complete minimum until she begins to have more energy to eat better:headscratch:don't know if i buy that one or not, but thats what we were told. I also feel like she would be more protected in a sling. SO, any ideas?

Mystery 10-16-2010 07:16 PM

Re: What type of baby-wearing sling/holder do you use?

I don't think the Boppy sling is a safe sling. I used a ring sling with my first preemie. I think it's a good sling for your purposes. I never really got the hang of it and, with my second preemie, I used hot slings more often.

The not holding her advice sounds weird.

jenfostermom 10-16-2010 08:01 PM

I vote for the hotsling :)

MrsAsh 10-16-2010 10:21 PM

I used a Moby Wrap with my DS1 (he was 4 lb 9ozs) and it work very good. I plan to use a Maby for DS2 also. We were told about the holding thing too. After we came home we held him all we wanted, I just made sure to hold him very still. :)

howmanykids 10-17-2010 04:01 AM

Well, Hello, Mrs. Ash~ had that baby yet? :D so its not just a cracked-up dr about the holding thing? it kind of threw me for a loop....i wore my boys all day, so its hard to just let her lie there.

It seems like there are different types of hotslings....which do you ladies like?

The Moby wrap seems difficult to tie.....is it?

Also, I wear L-XL shirts and am a 38DD-E right now. will these slings fit?

thanks for all the help! :goodvibes:

Mystery 10-17-2010 08:01 AM

I couldn't pull off the Moby wrap. I am super small up top and think I couldn't get it tied. All of my friends love it though so I think I am the odd one.

I wore the original Hotslings sling. They come in different sizes so you should be able to find one that fits you near perfectly.

We weren't told to not hold our NICU preemie once we got home. I did make sure to feed him before any activity but once he was all fed up, I snuggled with him. I would think that kangarooing even once home will continue to help the baby get settled.

REFRESHING CHANGE 10-17-2010 08:06 AM

I LOVE LOVE my Moby... Ok, my DD2 was born 5 weeks early and she LIVED in the moby. your baby needs TONs And TONs of skin to skin to help her grow. (google kangaroo care) your doctor is smoking the drapes IMO!! Keeping her warms and happy and not crying will help her put energy into growing. I had to fingerfeed then bottle feed DD2 for over a month before she was able to latch and the only thing that kept me remotely sane was being able to baby wear.

The moby is a little tricky at first but after a couple of wraps, your should get the hang of it. Make sure you buy it from a palce where someone can show you HOW to put it on so that you know what feels right and what feels wrong. PM me if you want more info on preemies and such...

Good luck mamma

lifeabroad 10-17-2010 08:26 AM

You might get some more help in the babywearing forum too!

I was going to suggest a Moby as well, as I have heard good things. And from what one of the PP said, it worked for their tiny one :) Good luck! Also, I did love my hotsling, but not until DS was about 3 or 4 months, when I could sit him up in it.

Belle1002 10-17-2010 10:32 AM

Don't be afraid of tying the Moby! It might take a few tries at first, but once you get it down, it's easy. I used mine all the time with my 34wk twins. Kangaroo care was the only thing that helped DS gain weight- I'm not sure why they gave you the "don't hold her too much" advice. And the Moby is perfect for church- you can wrap her up so only her face is showing, so you won't have to worry so much about being touched. They are easy to find (Target, BRU) and fairly inexpensive. There are lots of YouTube videos to help you figure out how to tie it. Good luck mama and congrats!

howmanykids 10-17-2010 03:06 PM

Thanks, Ladies!