Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early Arrivals (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   preemie blankets (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1095314)

greek4 10-20-2010 11:36 AM

preemie blankets

I do not have a preemie but need all you preemie mom's input. My friend just had her baby boy at 25 weeks and he was only 1.5 lbs and 13 inches. I would like to make her some personilized recieving blankets but don't know what size I should make. So, what size is the perfect size preemie blanket.

newtwinmom 10-20-2010 12:48 PM

Re: preemie blankets

Because he will require so much care, he won't need receiving blankets in the traditional sense (to wrap up in). He will be in an incubator for months so you could make regular size blankets and mom can use them to personalize his 'home' by covering his mattress and padding as allowed by her NICU. We encourage parents to do this in my NICU because when babies are this early, there isn't much they can be involved in but supplying blankets for their baby helps them connect. Then, in 8 or 10 weeks when he is able to be swaddled and or moves to a normal baby crib, he can use them to wrap up in.

You could also make her a larger blanket (usually at least about 40 inches by 40 inches) to cover his incubator after he is over any jaundice (if allowed by her NICU). Blankets over an incubator help shield these sensitive babies from the excess lighting and noise in a typical NICU. Parents usually get really creative with these blankets by monogramming them or make them really bright and fun.

It is very sweet of you to make her some blankets! All preemie mommas, especially those of super preemies, need lots of love!

irelandclover 10-20-2010 01:29 PM

I don't have any blanket suggestions as we were allowed to hold our son all the time but used the nicu blankets. Each baby was given a hand knit or crocheted blanket while there.

What I can suggest is that you give it her so she can sleep with it for a few nights so it carries her scent. Our nicu nurse suggested that and I like to believe it helped our son know we were with him even when we couldn't be there at night.

Little Miss Kate 10-20-2010 08:42 PM

I second the regular size blankets to make up the bed in. It is nice to have that "home touch" to the incubator or craddle
By the time he is able to be held they will work fine too.

greek4 10-21-2010 11:02 AM

Thank you. I think I'll make a handful of cute regular size ones and big one for the top. I know his nursery theme is monkeys, based on a sock monkey so now the great fabric search begins. Is there any special way I should wash the fabric or will it be done at the hospital anyway? I'll wash it before sewing it up of course.

Whimsy Twist 10-27-2010 03:01 PM

A thought on the incubator blank- my babies always did better when the blanket was dark. There was a bright pink one that stressed my 28 weeker DD out when it was covering her isolet. The darker ones were better!

newtwinmom 10-27-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greek4 (Post 11491491)
Thank you. I think I'll make a handful of cute regular size ones and big one for the top. I know his nursery theme is monkeys, based on a sock monkey so now the great fabric search begins. Is there any special way I should wash the fabric or will it be done at the hospital anyway? I'll wash it before sewing it up of course.

We always recommend Dreft, but any low scent or scent free detergent is fine. In my hossy, patients are responsible for their child's personal laundry.