Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Egg Free Birthday Cake Recipes??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1100320)

*LizziesLoops* 10-28-2010 10:35 AM

Egg Free Birthday Cake Recipes???

DD2 is having her first birthday next Saturday and I need a recipe for an egg free birthday cake. We had her tested for allergies back in June and she tested positive for a MILD egg & mold allergy. The Dr. had said that there was a possibility that with it being so mild, we should be ok to let her have baked items with 1-2 eggs in them but no straight eggs. So we tried that out and have recently found that the pasta pick-ups (which have a small amount of egg in them) makes her break out (raw bleeding anal rash, eczema...which is the extent of of her reactions). So back to square one I go and I need a cake recipe that doesn't use eggs that tastes good and holds together well. Also, does icing have eggs? I honestly have no clue and haven't looked yet :blush:
Thanks!

chloecat 10-28-2010 10:40 AM

Re: Egg Free Birthday Cake Recipes???

here's a few

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/egg-fr...ke/Detail.aspx

and these

Six-Minute Chocolate Cake
Ingredients
CAKE
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup cold water or brewed coffee
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons vinegar
GLAZE
1/2 lb bittersweet chocolate
3/4 cup hot water or milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions
1Preheat the oven to 375F.
2Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and sugar into an ungreased 8 inch square or 9 inch round baking tin.
3In a 2 cup measuring cup, measure and mix the oil, water or coffee and vanilla.
4Pour the liquid ingredients into the baking tin and mix the batter with a fork or small whisk.
5When the batter is smooth, add the vinegar and stir quickly. Pale swirls will occur where the vinegar and baking soda react. Stir just until the vinegar is even distributed throughout the batter.
6Bake for 25-30 minutes. Set aside the cake to cool.
7If you are making the glaze, reset the oven to 300F.
8Melt the chocolate in small ovenproof bowl or heavy skillet in the oven for about 15 minutes. Stir the hot liquid and vanilla into the chocolate until smooth.
9Spoon the glaze over the cooled cake. Refrigerate the glazed cake for a minimum of 30 minutes before serving.
**************************************…
Double Chocolate Cake-Eggless

Ingredients
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar or granulated sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions
1Heat oven to 350. Mix flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt with fork in ungreased square pan, 8x8x2 inches. Or a round pan. Mix in remaining ingredients except chocolate chips. Sprinkle chocolate chips over batter. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
2*Do not use self-rising flour in this recipe.
3Note: Cake can be mixed in bowl if desired.
**************************************…

Egg-Free Vanilla Cake Recipe: Crazy Cake

This simply splendid cake is a snap to make. It contains no eggs and makes a delightful dessert alternative for your sweet table.

Ingredients
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups cold water
Cooking Instructions
Sift flour, sugar, salt, soda, and cocoa together into a 9x13-inch ungreased cake pan. Make three wells. Pour oil into one well, vinegar into second, and vanilla into third well. Pour cold water over all, and stir well with fork.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes, or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Frost with your favorite icing.

*LizziesLoops* 10-28-2010 11:01 AM

Meagan, you're awesome!!! Thanks so much!

sunfish75 10-28-2010 11:02 AM

hi,
my dh has a very severe dairy and egg allergy. We often purchase Dr. Oetker products that are egg free. available at Whole foods etc. the other idea that works great is sub any recipe w/ eggs and use egg replacer. we make everything with it and no one has ever noticed any difference. the best brand I have found is called Ener G Egg Replacer. works great :) good luck!

*LizziesLoops* 10-28-2010 11:55 AM

unfortunately, the closest Whole Foods type store is almost 3 hours away -_- So I have to content myself with stuff I can pull from Wal-mart/Food World ingredients. Is the Egg Replacer you mentioned available at Walmart?

atomic_riot 10-28-2010 12:10 PM

My Ds bday cake for all his 6 yrs and his fave.

Crazy Cake

Ingredients:
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cocoa
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 cups cold water

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Place flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a 13x9x2-inch pan and stir with until well mixed. Make three holes in the dry mixture and place the oil in one hole, the vanilla and vinegar in the second hole and the water in the third hole. Stir it all up together with a whisk.

Bake for 40 minutes, or until the center springs back when you touch it lightly with your finger. Cool on a wire rack. Frost with favorite icing, if desired.

Serving Size: 12

Hands down easiest tastiest dairy-soy-egg free cake! Use a high quality cocoa for best flavour.

And really you don't taste the vinegar.

srkobus 10-28-2010 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomic_riot (Post 11542571)
My Ds bday cake for all his 6 yrs and his fave.

Crazy Cake

Ingredients:
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cocoa
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 cups cold water

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Place flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a 13x9x2-inch pan and stir with until well mixed. Make three holes in the dry mixture and place the oil in one hole, the vanilla and vinegar in the second hole and the water in the third hole. Stir it all up together with a whisk.

Bake for 40 minutes, or until the center springs back when you touch it lightly with your finger. Cool on a wire rack. Frost with favorite icing, if desired.

Serving Size: 12

Hands down easiest tastiest dairy-soy-egg free cake! Use a high quality cocoa for best flavour.

And really you don't taste the vinegar.

this is our fave cake here. been THE birthday cake since i was little and we don't even need to be egg free. super moist and yummy!

blackberry75 10-29-2010 09:13 PM

I found this on the internet:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madhurm's Eggless cooking
For each egg to be replaced, blend in a blender/food processor 1 tablespoon flax seed with 3 tablespoons water until the mixture is thick and creamy. Update: I have a book “Sinfully Vegan” by Lois Dieterly, she has mentioned the ratio as 1 teaspoon of flax seed powder and 1/4 cup of water for every egg to be replaced. I did try her Vegan Brownies with that ratio and it came out very good. “The Joy of Vegan Baking” suggests to whisk 1 tablespoon flax seed powder and 3 tablespoons water

It worked well for the waffles I made, not so sure how it would do in a baked good. However, no one seemed to notice the difference.

Edit-duh, I used the 1tbsp flax seed meal/3tbsp water, soak for a few minutes and then whisk with a fork. Add to rest of recipe when you'd add eggs.

Shikoba 10-31-2010 08:24 PM

I have had pretty good luck replacing eggs with full fat yogurt a few times when I've been in a pinch! I used about 1/2 of a cup to replace 2 eggs. Bananas workas a decent binder too, ime.

jenthe10 11-01-2010 06:50 AM

I didnt read all of the previous posts, so i hope this isn't a repeat... you can sub 1/2 banana for 1 egg (use very ripe like you would for banana bread). It does give a banana taste, but in cake its yummy. I love chocolate cake with banana instead of eggs! And its super moist.