Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   2010 Due Daters (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Public nursing: How do you do it? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1102421)

Sageac 11-01-2010 02:19 PM

Public nursing: How do you do it?

I thought it would be interesting, since I'm in an unsure about it place, to see what you ladies do/think.

SpanishBella 11-01-2010 02:21 PM

Re: Public nursing: How do you do it?

I have a nursing cover and nurse wherever I go whenever my LO is hungry.

RochelleS 11-01-2010 02:44 PM

Whenever and wherever. I don't use a cover or blanket or anything. The law in my state says that moms are allowed to nurse anywhere at any time!

SillyEllie 11-01-2010 02:52 PM

I nurse discreetly mainly because I don't want to bring attention to myself. I feed my baby whenever she is hungry. I do try to find a quiet place just because that's what I'm comfortable with and my lo gets distracted easily anyways

Pampered Mama 11-01-2010 02:54 PM

I started out trying to use a cover when LO was tiny, but he fussed so much, and I hated fumbling with the cover, so after a couple tries, I ditched it- after that, I covered as much as was reasonable, and nurse whenever/wherever. I've never had anyone say anything to me, but I have had a number of people smile and nod.

TeachinAuntie 11-01-2010 02:55 PM

in the early days I used a cover. Now that we're "nursing pros" I don't use a cover but nurse discreetly using my shirt.

dolphingirl 11-01-2010 03:14 PM

This is my fifth baby to nurse, and at this point, I'm pretty much comfortable nursing anywhere with some caveats. I've never owned or used a nursing cover, and I just find it more awkward covering her with a blanket. I either wear a nursing shirt or a nursing tank with a regular shirt over. If we're in a place like a restaurant where there's some noise and I'm sitting with family/friends, I'll just stay right at the table and nurse. However, there are some situations, like sitting in a circle at Bible class where the environment is really quiet and everyone is looking at each other where I'm not entirely comfortable mostly because DD is a noisy/messy nurser. It will be easier when she gets older. In cases like that, I put her in the sling, step away from the group for a bit to get her latched on and nursing comfortably, and then I'll come back to the group. Same thing for church. Otherwise everyone would hear her smacking away and trying to deal with my overactive letdown!
Nursing in a sling is definitely the easiest way for me to nurse in public. She's in her familiar environment, so she's more relaxed, and most people don't realize she's nursing! I can nurse her at the store and keep pushing my cart and getting the shopping done. With my first baby, I felt really confined until I learned that trick!
:goodvibes:Kristin

megs715 11-01-2010 04:06 PM

I nurse wherever/whenever she is hungry. I started out trying to use a blanket, but it was too hard. I try to be discreet, but honestly just don't worry a bunch about it. I'm feeding a baby, if I was bottle feeding, nobody would take a second glance! The only place I don't feed her (often, if I can avoid it at all) is around my grandpa (he lives with us)....more out of respect than anything, but I've started to loosen up on that lately too.

palsmama 11-01-2010 04:15 PM

i nurse where ever when ever....now that he is so contractible it is a little hard but we manage to without flashing anyone :giggle:

sweetcheeksllc 11-01-2010 04:23 PM

I nurse in public... whenever the munchkin is hungry... and I'm hit or miss with a cover! Most of the time, its just a distraction (for her and everyone else!) and so I do try to find a quiet space (she's VERY distractable!).