Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early Arrivals (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Synagis.... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1103319)

DommysMommy 11-02-2010 11:42 PM

Synagis....

My baby is now 6 weeks old (33 weeks corrected), and now is the start of RSV season as you all know. Are your babies qualified for synagis? Anyone not getting it for there little ones? The doc was gonna give it to Cameron yesterday, without even talking to me about it first, but I stopped him and said I was still doing research on it and that I'd get back to him.
I think we've decided to go ahead and get it. Have you guys got it yet? What was your experience?

newtwinmom 11-03-2010 09:15 AM

Re: Synagis....

My 27 week twins born 10-4 will get it. I have seen preemies and former preemies get very very very sick secondary to RSV and would never forgive myself if something happened to my boys. Since the shots are not formulated like traditional vacs (it is more of an antibody and is preservative free), I am less hesitant to give it.

DommysMommy 11-03-2010 10:19 AM

That's why I'm not so hesitant either. I was just perturbed at the doc for not even asking me. They don't do the shots at my ped's office, so I have to figure out where we'll have to go every month.
Congrats on your twins. Why were they so early?

irelandclover 11-03-2010 01:47 PM

My son does not qualify by the "standard" but our pedi is pushing it through because he is failure to thrive and we haven't been able to rule out the cause yet. My niece was in the hospital for a very long time last year due to RSV and pneumonia, so we will give be giving him the shot once we get formal approval.

3rockstars 11-03-2010 06:27 PM

We didn't vaccinate until after age 2 for both preemies but the youngest qualified for and got Synagis. My middle daughter was a 34weeker who got RSV at 39w GA and ended up hospitalized and incurring lung damage. She was very very very sick. I would not hesitate to do synagis if my child qualified.

LunaBirch 11-04-2010 10:58 AM

We're a non vaxing family, however Synagis is one we DO give. My 32 weeker (now 2) got it for 2 seasons (this is his first season without it). My 31 weeker (now 9 weeks) just got his first dose 10/29 just before he was discharged from NICU.

howmanykids 11-04-2010 11:27 AM

i just got approval from insurance, so my 34 weeker will be getting it!!

Chrijodo 11-04-2010 08:00 PM

My 2 year old qualified because of his heart and got it for 2 seasons. My girls were 34 weekers and they have had 2 doses thus far and will get it for at least this season. If your child qualifies, I would definitely get it, beats the alternative by far

shortcake2386 11-04-2010 08:12 PM

this is the only shot we consider. my niece(34 weeks) was sick for her first 4 winters(she is six now) with RSV. my oldest(35 weeks) was sick her first 3 winters(she caught it at the dr at 12 weeks actual age). ds was 36 weeks and is 5.5 months now but only 11lbs and the ped(who is antivax btw) is recommending her get it next month at his 6 month visit.

Whimsy Twist 11-05-2010 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtwinmom (Post 11579927)
My 27 week twins born 10-4 will get it. I have seen preemies and former preemies get very very very sick secondary to RSV and would never forgive myself if something happened to my boys. Since the shots are not formulated like traditional vacs (it is more of an antibody and is preservative free), I am less hesitant to give it.

This!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DommysMommy (Post 11580474)
That's why I'm not so hesitant either. I was just perturbed at the doc for not even asking me. They don't do the shots at my ped's office, so I have to figure out where we'll have to go every month.
Congrats on your twins. Why were they so early?

I was also perturbed at all the things the NICU PRESUMED was ok to do with my kids without asking... sugar water, dressing them for their first time without me there, giving their first baths without us there, just about giving formula against our directions. Frustrating for sure- and giving a vaccine would set me off (even if it was a vaccine I wanted them to have!).