Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early Arrivals (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Most Helpful gifts? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1103667)

Hayley_Dawn 11-03-2010 02:34 PM

Most Helpful gifts?

My sister-in-law just had her little one 2months early. By the grace of God he is doing AMAZING and may only be in the hospital 2-6weeks.

My favorite "baby gift" to give is paper plates, plastic ware, & plastic cups to help with dishes the first couple weeks after baby is born... BUT since they will be at the hospital for a while I don't think this gift will be as helpful.

My thought was some fast food gift cards & and as many fast food coupons as I could get my hands on (ask around church & friends in the area). What do y'all think of that idea?!

What are some of the most helpful & useful gifts that you have/had received while your little one was still in the hospital?! Thanks for the help!:goodvibes:

**The hospital is maybe 2hrs from their house & maybe 1.5hrs from ours if that makes a difference on gift ideas. They also have a 2.5yo & 1yo but they have TONS of help w/ child care through family & church**

kat1205 11-03-2010 02:43 PM

Re: Most Helpful gifts?

Your idea sounds good to me.

melilo 11-03-2010 02:46 PM

I would offer to go with them to visit the baby, or drive them, or just the mother. It was nice when my family could visit in the NICU, not sure about the rules at that hossy, but you could say you're the child's "aunt".

DommysMommy 11-03-2010 02:52 PM

Is her baby able to wear clothing yet? When I was finally able to dress my son in clothes, it helped a lot. It really made him start looking like a "baby." Some preemie clothes are hard to come by, and I'm sure they don't have time to be out shopping. Carter's makes preemie clothes for up to 5lbs, and Target carries them. I haven't found preemie clothes that small anywhere else locally. So maybe an outfit or two. Seems overdone, but really, not many people think to buy clothes for preemies in the hospital.
I don't know how much time they actually get at the hospital, but mabye a good book would be nice. The first several times I did kangaroo care with my boy, I was way to enthralled on him to even think I could read a book. But after awhile, I started to get SO comfortable having him in my arms, that having a book to read was nice. I would even suggest a sweet baby book that she could read to her baby during holding time.

natmarie6 11-03-2010 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DommysMommy (Post 11583448)
Is her baby able to wear clothing yet? When I was finally able to dress my son in clothes, it helped a lot. It really made him start looking like a "baby." Some preemie clothes are hard to come by, and I'm sure they don't have time to be out shopping. Carter's makes preemie clothes for up to 5lbs, and Target carries them. I haven't found preemie clothes that small anywhere else locally. So maybe an outfit or two. Seems overdone, but really, not many people think to buy clothes for preemies in the hospital.
I don't know how much time they actually get at the hospital, but mabye a good book would be nice. The first several times I did kangaroo care with my boy, I was way to enthralled on him to even think I could read a book. But after awhile, I started to get SO comfortable having him in my arms, that having a book to read was nice. I would even suggest a sweet baby book that she could read to her baby during holding time.

Well said! This brought back memories! :hugs:

I believe they sell preemie clothes at Wal Mart, as well.

LunaBirch 11-04-2010 10:03 AM

My 31 weeker just came home from NICU 6 days ago, and while no one gave us any gifts.. I can say the most helpful things would ahve been fast food gift cards/coupons (find out what's near the hospital) and gas cards..the NICU was 86 miles roundtrip and let me tell you I just about drained my savings on gas.

howmanykids 11-04-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DommysMommy (Post 11583448)

:yeahthat: i second the premie, nb clothes...we had to go shopping to have something for baby to wear home, also offering to wash any clothes for baby to have them ready.

oh, and a good cup of jo!!!

ssand23 11-04-2010 04:43 PM

The thing we were also in need on was preemie diapers. If they use disposables, most regular stores don't carry preemie sizes. We used to have to make a run to Babies R Us to find them. Maybe some preemie diapers, too?

Gift cards for gas definately! My oldest dd has a lot of medical problems & the cost of gas driving back & forth to the hospital puts quite the dent in my wallet.

Little Miss Kate 11-05-2010 06:43 PM

Gas cards
M&M's meat shops (do you have those in the states?) Easy HEALTHY food
Gift cert to go towards a breast pump if she doesn't already have one (if required)

medireh09 11-06-2010 11:19 AM

Gas cards are one of the most helpful things for any family with a wee one in the hospital. Does the hospital where her wee one is have a Ronald McDonald house available? If so, I would recommend finding out if they would be able to stay there to be closer and seeing if their church would be able to help pay for the room. The one we use accepts donations for the rooms to help families stay there, and being in the house makes visiting the hospital so much easier. Our 33 weeker is nearly a year old now, and we are inpatient for a totally different issue these days. The House, gas cards, and fast food cards are still some of the most helpful things anyone has done for us.