Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   1 year old suddenly not sleeping well..HELP! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1104124)

bigmamakelsey 11-04-2010 11:23 AM

1 year old suddenly not sleeping well..HELP!

Ok, so he's never slept great, but its been much worse lately. A little background:
DS co-slept exclusively until 6 months, then we started putting him in his crib for naps (already asleep) then slowly transitioned him to sleep in his crib at night. He would wake up to nurse, I'd lay him in bed with me, but as soon as he was done I would put him back in his crib. He was at the point from 6/7 months till 12 months that we would lay him down awake, he would fuss for seriously 30 seconds and be out. He would wake up once to nurse at night, then nurse once again around 7 or 8 when he wakes up. Lately it seems as if he has lost his ability to self sooth. He will not go to sleep in his crib. We lay him down and try to rub his back, run our fingers through his hair, ect, and after about 15-20 mins of that he'll go out, but a few minutes later wake and not go back to sleep. We have to go in for 15-20 at a time about 4-5 times, it takes hours for him to finally be out! Then he wakes up 3-4 times a night (NOT including the morning nursing!) We're SO EXHAUSTED. Its like having a newborn again, but a newborn with will! Please, please tell me this is a phase. What can I do? I don't feel comfortable letting him cry it out for long periods, 1 or 2 mintues is fine (thats what we did 6 months on) but he will not go to sleep in 1 or 2 minutes anymore, even if we go in and check on him often.

Michelle_M 11-04-2010 12:32 PM

Re: 1 year old suddenly not sleeping well..HELP!

I know that the "experts" say that around 14 months is when the chidren can start to have nightmares. Perhaps he's having bad dreams?

I'm not much help other than that, since my children were older when I started transitioning them into their own beds.

And my baby (8 months old) isn't sleeping well lately, despite the co-sleeping. So I feel ya on the exhausted thing. I think I got MAYBE 2 hours of sleep last night. *sigh*

Hugs
God bless!

mrosehughes 11-04-2010 12:44 PM

We cosleep with our DS (just a few weeks younger than yours!) and he was sleeping 9pm to 6am then nurse and back to sleep until 8am regularly, and he's also started (just this week, really) waking up a LOT MORE at night and really crying (not to the point of having to go into the nursery and rock; usually a change of position, one of us holding him, or nursing gets him back to sleep for a few hours). With DS I was thinking it was either a growth spurt or possibly his ears (he has no fever, though, so we're just going to wait until his 1-year well-baby appt next week to have his ears checked).

Can you try cosleeping again? Or was it just not working? Even with the cosleeping we're getting less (good) sleep than we were before, but it's not to the point of walking/rocking every 2 hours at night, so it's a bit better than your current situation.

:hugs: mama, getting no sleep is rough.

Liadan23 11-04-2010 03:18 PM

my ds has been doing this too. he's been sleeping through the night (like 8pm to 7am) in his own room for months. and then suddenly, right before his 1st b-day he started waking up at night again! i mean, every once in awhile he does wake up, it's not like he's NEVER woken up since he started sttn, but this has gone on seriously for about 1.5 months EVERY.SINGLE.NIGHT. i have no idea what the issue is. we tried feeding him more before bed, feeding him less, putting teething gel on his gums in case he was teething, changing his diaper as soon as he got up in case that was the issue, everything. but he would get up every night, not multiple times per night, but he would be up for 3-4 hours and refuse to be put back to sleep, so it's not like he had time for multiple awakenings. it was crazy. we did even try CIO a little bit, but i'm not really comfortable with it either if it goes on for more than a few minutes, and he would SCREAM if we tried to set him down.

i still don't know what the problem is. it's mostly died down the last week or so, and he's been sttn again. my guess is growth spurt. he certainly has grown. and all his episodes of night-waking before have always coincided with growth spurts, just never for this long. but, by the same token, 2 months ago he was wearing 6-9 months clothes (he was always a little guy) and now his 12 month clothes are starting to get a little tight and we're thinking about switching him up to 18 months, at least for pants cause the 12 month once are way short. so, he's obviously had a MASSIVE growth spurt. for us, there was nothing for it but to wait it out.:hugs: wish i had more advice for you, but that's all i got. we did get him some tea from traditional medicinals called "nighty night" and gave it to him in a bottle and that actually seems to calm him and help him sleep pretty well. that or chamomile tea would work. my mil suggested it, she's into all sorts of folksy type remedies, and i've found her idea to always sound a little kookie, but actually end up working out really well. hths :)

VeganCupcake 11-04-2010 05:21 PM

I have heard that there are sleep regressions in the weeks around birthdays and half birthdays, because little brains are doing a lot of growing and developing.

My DD never slept well, so I haven't been able to test this theory on us--she's never really progressed enough to have a regression! Lucky me. :giggle:

Also, if your DS is acquiring new skills, like walking, or some language, or some skill we can't even see, the brain is more wakeful.

I guess what I'm saying is that it will pass, no matter what you do or don't do. It's no fun--I know.

palsmama 11-04-2010 05:27 PM

My guess it's teething, growth spurt and processing new skills! Hang in there. It will pass just like all the other times you have gone through this. He just needs you more right now!

pcjs 11-04-2010 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palsmama (Post 11592502)
My guess it's teething, growth spurt and processing new skills! Hang in there. It will pass just like all the other times you have gone through this. He just needs you more right now!

This is what we always say or he is hungry - we go through it too for about a week or two every month or two and when we are exhausted he sleeps again through the night. Usually, a good half the time my son wants a pacifier, is cold, etc. and the other half he's hungry so we give him a bottle/sippy and a snuggle and he goes to sleep.

We do let him CIO some a he needs to to wind down - he can and goes to sleep. He has different fusses/screams. I also took the advice someone gave me here when I asked about the blankets and put some small fabric books and a tiny toy he can't hopefully hurt himself with in the crib sometimes and its funny but he will not fuss, play with them and fall back asleep. (we decided against the blankets).

annb 11-04-2010 10:49 PM

How many naps is he getting? He is still of the age where 2 naps are probably required, one about 2 hours after he wakes in the morning, and one about 2.5 to 3 hours after that after noon. The naps should be 2-4 hours total. He needs about 14 hours a day total.

Have you read The No Cry Sleep Solution? I've found it helpful before. You do need to do something I think, as children don't necessarily outgrow sleep problems like this.

Evalyn'sMommy 10-12-2012 08:14 PM

Hi BigMamaKelsy!

I just found your post in a desperate attempt to figure out what is wrong with my almost 1 year old (her birthday is on Friday). I read your post about your 1 year old not sleeping through the night, and I could have written every word of that myself. I realize you posted it a long time ago, but do you happen to remember how you got your little one to sleep through the night again? Was it teething, or a phase, or dreams...or perhaps your little one is still not sleeping through the night! (I hope thats not the case!). Anyway, I am just looking for a little advice - currently I just take her into my bed and we co-sleep through the night - she still wakes every 2 hours, but all it takes is a little "shhh...mommy is here" and she goes back to sleep. Ever since she started waking at night she has also started not going down for naps, so I have resorted to making sure we are in the car for nap time - nothing soothes a baby like the car. Did you have that issue with your little one too? Its just so odd to me that she could suddenly forget how to put herself to sleep.
Thanks so much in advance for any help you can give.

Evalyn's Mommy

EmilytheStrange 10-12-2012 08:52 PM

There is a very short 13 month sleep regression. I only know because DD got it. I googled and it came back positive.

This is supposed to be when they learn processes 'when this happens, this is next' type concepts. Because its such a specific skill, it takes 1-2 weeks and should be over.

It was really strange for us and it was over quickly.

I hope that is what it is for you because it was quick and easy.