Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Selling Breast Milk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1104824)

Meg678 11-05-2010 10:42 AM

Selling Breast Milk

For the past 5 years or so I have donated my excess breast milk to a local hospital in my area. It's been something I have LOVED doing and will continue to do as long as I am lactating.

However, last Friday my husband lost his job. :cry: We've been scrounging like crazy and he has put application after application in to other places but have not heard anything back. I have considered looking for work but mothering my children at home is something extremely important to me and my husband doesn't like the idea of me being away from them. I also have a nursing baby that is EXTREMELY attached to me.

So... I have come to the question of perhaps selling my breast milk for a short time until we can get back on our feet.

Has anyone else sold their milk before?

1.If so, what kind of medical proof do you offer a buyer, and how far back to you go?

2. How do you go about actually marketing it?

3. Is there perhaps a market for children over 12 months of age? (My daughter is almost 8 months old and I know the composition of milk changes between 6-12 months of straight nursing. I have read that "older" milk isn't as adequate for infants than the newer milk.)

4. How are women using the milk they buy from you? Do they feed exclusively breast milk, or do they do 1 bottle a day, 2 a day... etc?

Any other tips?

Thanks in advance!

bezark 11-05-2010 10:45 AM

Re: Selling Breast Milk

I could be totally off here, but I thought the sale of breast milk/bodily fluids was illegal?

The Fancy Pansy 11-05-2010 10:51 AM

Edit: Apparently I was wrong. :blush:

P!nkPepper 11-05-2010 10:57 AM

Not sure if it is illegal but just google it. There are communities for the buying & selling of breast milk.

Meg678 11-05-2010 10:57 AM

Only in California and New York. The CDC actually labels BM as a "food", instead of a bodily fluid, which I thought was rather cool. (But legally it is, yes, considered a bodily fluid.)

I have put some research into this and I have found that it is fairly common. There are actually online classifieds specifically for selling Breast Milk.

I just wanted to ask a few questions to someone that has actually sold it before to know if it actually "works".

:goodvibes:

Meg678 11-05-2010 11:00 AM

I meant "Only in California and New York" is selling breast milk illegal.

SchatziB 11-05-2010 11:21 AM

My GF tried once and all she got were VERY questionable or straight out perverted responses! Hopefully you find a great situation and dont have to shift through any of that yuck :P

sh0rtchica 11-05-2010 11:52 AM

the only people willing to buy it would probably be pervs, because moms can typically get it for free via milkshare and similar organizations.

the main reason I've seen it discouraged is that people are concerned that mothers would sell breastmilk they should be feeding their babies to supplement income. WIC gives formula for free, so while i don't know how valid that concern is i can see why it's been expressed. obviously that's not the case for anyone with oversupply (i had that too), but that's why there's a stigma.

sh0rtchica 11-05-2010 11:52 AM

the only people willing to buy it would probably be pervs, because moms can typically get it for free via milkshare and similar organizations.

the main reason I've seen it discouraged is that people are concerned that mothers would sell breastmilk they should be feeding their babies to supplement income. WIC gives formula for free, so while i don't know how valid that concern is i can see why it's been expressed. obviously that's not the case for anyone with oversupply (i had that too), but that's why there's a stigma.

CherryPie 11-05-2010 12:04 PM

I've come across sites but they were all ****** related and were not for the purpose of obtaining milk for babies.