Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   pinto bean thread spin off (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1105482)

L2S2C 11-06-2010 01:44 PM

pinto bean thread spin off

How exactly do I cook pinto beans? How or with what do I season them with? I was born and raised in California and I dont know anyone who cooks beans. They come in a can for us :giggle: but I bought a large bag of pinto beans to make bean bags and have a bunch left. I was going to throw them out but I'd love to try and feed them to my family, but how do I season them?

txmap 11-06-2010 02:11 PM

Re: pinto bean thread spin off

For really tender beans, cook them in distilled water. Most people throw some pork in for seasoning, but we don't eat pork, so we just use a drizzle of olive oil, a tablespoon or 2 of sugar (cuts down on the gas--not enough to make them taste sweet), and salt.

People at potlucks are always wanting to know how we made them. :)

I like them simple like that, then you can add whatever you like to them when you serve them (onion, jalepeno, or salsa, etc.) But they are great as is, with some cornbread.

cooldrinkofwater 11-06-2010 02:47 PM

I cook my dried beans in my pressure cooker. Here's how I do it. I put 1 or 2 cups of beans in the cooker with at least 6 cups of water. I take out the pressure sealing ring and bring it to a boil. I cook it for 10 minutes with the lid that doesn't have the sealing ring in it on the top. Then I turn off the heat, but leave the cooker on the hot eye for 1 hour.

Then I open the pot and pour off the liquid, being careful not to pour out my beans. Then I add 3 x as much water as I have beans in the bottom of the pot, but not over the maximum fill line. I add 2 chicken bouillon cubes.

I put in the sealing ring, close the lid and put on the rocker. Then I bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes. After this, I take the pot off the heat, and when the seal releases I have perfectly soft wonderful beans. I add my flavorings then.

Pinto beans cooked this way would make great refried beans. There are lots of refried bean recipes online. Just Google it.

My kids like pinto beans with a can of diced tomatoes in it, seasoned with salt, pepper and some cumin.

pcjs 11-06-2010 03:00 PM

My son just nibbles on them from the can (I wash them but he likes them just like that).

cormama 11-06-2010 03:11 PM

I do mine on the stove....12 cups of water, 1 lb. beans, 2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, boil for 2 minutes. Cover and remove from heat for 1 hour. Add chicken boullion and chopped onion. Bring to a boil again and simmer uncovered for 1 1/2 hours. Yum!!

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 11-06-2010 03:34 PM

What part of California are you from that they don't cook beans?:giggle:
I am also from Cali and everyone I know all make beans often..lol
I make mine in the crock pot, you will wash your beans in plain water and remove any little rocks you may find.
Put them in the crock pot and fill it with water about 2 or so inches above the beans and put it on high for a few hours.
I add to mine also a chopped onion half/handful of washed cilantro/1 house tomato and I add bacon pieces, about 1/4 of the pack if you cut it into fourths an cut them into small peices about 1/2 inch wide. I also add a little bit of salt, not a lot maybe a teaspoon. Once they are tender, I add salt to taste because of the bacon they will be very flavorful and may not even need anymore salt.

L2S2C 11-06-2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox (Post 11605218)
What part of California are you from that they don't cook beans?:giggle:
I am also from Cali and everyone I know all make beans often..lol

well I know people cook beans because we have a high hispanic population, but nobody I know does and I've never heard of eating it twice a week and being a "southern" thing like people were saying in the other thread. Beans to me are refried or in chili. oh and Im in the inland empire.

Manna00 11-06-2010 04:32 PM

This is how I do my beans...I do them in the crockpot.
http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/mybestpintobeans.htm

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 11-06-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L2S2C (Post 11605430)
well I know people cook beans because we have a high hispanic population, but nobody I know does and I've never heard of eating it twice a week and being a "southern" thing like people were saying in the other thread. Beans to me are refried or in chili. oh and Im in the inland empire.

That is true and why everyone I know makes beans including me:giggle2:
I didn't know about the southern thing neither, it is nice to learn new things which is why I love reading this board.:wub:
I don't know where that's at,inland empire, going to check..hehe I'm in central cali:)

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 11-06-2010 05:09 PM

That is a big Area! I read the history on the wiki and it is really interesting!! I hadn't heard of that area before but Cali is really big.