Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   2010 Due Daters (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Zephaniah's unexpected hospital birth.. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1109344)

joy7s 11-13-2010 03:23 PM

Zephaniah's unexpected hospital birth..

Thursday 11/11 I started getting regular contractions. Took a brisk evening walk with DH and the kids. They were still pretty strong so I sent DH to bed to sleep a little.

Hung out for 2 hrs till the contractions were about 5 min apart called our "birth team" and woke DH. He called the mw whom he couldn't get a hold of. The birth center message had said the wrong mw was on call. When we got a hold of the right mw she said she was coming. She apparently stood up and felt terrible, so she called us back and said we had to head to the hosp. By this time it was 3am, I had the pool set up in the living room and my water had broken. I was concerned I wouldn't make it to the hosp b/c after my last two girls water had broken they were born within the hour.

I got in the car with my friend in the backseat and dh sped to the hosp. Got there and was only 6 cm. DH and our doula friend were an awesome help. Started to feel pressure around 5am and got on the bed to push.. nothing :banghead:

I was 9cm with a cervical lip. I went 5 more hours trying to push back the lip and wait it out. I was so tired at this point and in a ton of pain.

student mw (the only one who was there from the pratice) said she wanted to start pit to help the lip retract b/c at this point my labor was slowing. I had pit with my first and hated it. I was so scared and crying finally they let me have an epidural.

Next they started the pitt which put my LO in distress (his hr was dropping and actually had been every time I tried to push him out) They stopped the pit but with the epi I was able to relax enough that after an hr and 1/2 (to let the lip retract) I could push him out.

I think without the epidural I would've ended up with a c section. I just couldn't relax and I was so tired. That 16 hrs was the longest, most painful labor I've had. Not to mention that he was 9lbs 4 oz a whopping 2 1/2 lbs bigger than any of my other kids! I'm still getting over the hb I didn't have.. but glad that we are both healthy.

BrittBBT 11-13-2010 03:47 PM

Re: Zephaniah's unexpected hospital birth..

I'm sorry you didn't get your HB. I know how that feels!! We planned a UC with my twins but my water broke 7 weeks early...

Enjoy your new LO!

er517 11-13-2010 05:09 PM

Sorry you didn't get the home birth you'd hoped for, but it sounds like it was for the better. :) Congratulations!!

ashtonsmom 11-13-2010 05:55 PM

:hugs::hugs::hugs: im sorry hun! im glad you didnt end up with a section though. congrats!!!!

lullaby80 11-13-2010 05:58 PM

:hugs: That sounded like a very tiring birth. And a big baby too! Congratulations!!

mommyshanti 11-13-2010 06:36 PM

congrats on baby:)
whoohoo
sorry but just wondering mw didnt come cuz she was sick? no back-up mw?

mason825 11-13-2010 06:46 PM

Congrats! Send that labor dust this way! :)

mommamisti2 11-13-2010 07:25 PM

Congrats mama!

Dean7698 11-13-2010 08:22 PM

Congrats Mama! That sounds like one crazy birth. Happy that you and baby are okay. :)

love.my.babies.lots 11-13-2010 08:35 PM

Sorry you didn't get your homebirth but it sounds like it all worked out for you. Congrats! Can't wait to see a pic!