Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   International (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   UK Laundry detergent for sensitive skin?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1113620)

altuttle 11-21-2010 12:26 PM

UK Laundry detergent for sensitive skin??

I am having issues with detergents. My children and I have super sensitive skin and our commissary isnt very good about keeping the purex free and clear in stock. We have tried all free and clear and it doesnt do a great job on my clothes or diapers. I have also tried tide and that broke our skin out in hives. I am looking for a recommendation for regular clothes as well as something for diapers. I like to wash general laundry on cold wash. Towels, whites, and diapers get hot wash so something that would work in both would be great. I dont mind buying something on the local economy if that is a good suggestion. I just dont understand the types of detergent on the economy. I have never heard of bio/ nonbio before here so I am not familiar with what that means. Thanks for any help.

mumsark 11-22-2010 01:46 AM

Re: UK Laundry detergent for sensitive skin??

Hi, I only used laundry detergent from on the English economy the whole almost 10 years we were stationed in England. It's been awhile but I believe I used Persil in the blue bag and Ariel in the green bag, we have super sensitive skin and only used the detergents off base,they cleaned better also. I don't remeber if they were bio or nonbio, I can only remember the names and colors of the bags. Hope this helps.

featherlady 12-07-2010 07:35 AM

I would recommend Ariel or Bold is also good for sensitive skin. Stay clear or products such as Daz as they can be quite strong. Most non-biological ones are quite good at caring for skin so look out for those!

featherlady 12-07-2010 07:36 AM

Oh sorry and also Persil is good too! Avoid Surf!

altuttle 12-08-2010 03:42 AM

Thanks ladies! I am trying the blue persil right now. Hopefully it will work and not aggrivate our skin because it will be more readily available than the kinds I can get on base at the moment.

mumsark 12-10-2010 01:07 PM

I hope persil works for you. I forgot to ask, what base are you at? Over are almost 10years we were at RAF Upper heyford for about 18mos.( it's been closed since right after we left) and RAF Lakenheath the rest of the time.We loved England and would go back in a heart beat. Enjoy your stay and travel as much as possiable.

jobeama 08-17-2011 04:38 PM

My super sensitive friend uses Ecover, its not the cheapest as its an eco friendly brand but she swears by it, also try using half the amount suggested on the pack, most allergic reactions are due to detergent build up on fabric. It doesn't affect how clean your clothes get, I do it with all my washing now :)

Wanderlust 08-23-2011 01:50 PM

We used Persil non-bio for some of our items- we liked it. Our base house had a British front loading washer and we had issues with American detergent there too. It would flare up Dh's eczema but once we switched to a British detergent, his skin was much calmer

ETA: Every few months, ASDA would have Persil on sale so we'd stock up!