Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   2010 Due Daters (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Would you do it? Donor Milk? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1115927)

benjaminsmom 11-26-2010 11:37 PM

Would you do it? Donor Milk?

Hey mamas! Was wondering your thoughts on the whole donor milk subject. Would you take donor milk from a stranger to feed your child. I am debating as we supplement about 1/2 of what Logan is eating from the estimates of my Dr. There are some ladies on the eats on feets site through facebook fairly close by willing to donate. I think it will freak DH out to get it from an unknown source. We gave Ben someof my sisters milk but she is family.
So what do you all think??

mpfanny 11-26-2010 11:47 PM

Re: Would you do it? Donor Milk?

I have donated over 4000 oz to three different families in the last 16 months. I always tell my DH "If something happened to me, I want you to get donor milk for DD." You just have to trust your instincts about a person. They definitely won't be offended if you ask (and pay for) a blood screening. I'd say do it!

JamieJLD 11-27-2010 12:10 AM

I'd do it Tracy. I'd want to talk to the mama before and feel them out. I trust my instincts and if anything at all felt even the slightest bit weird, then I would pass. I'd also ask for - and pay for - a blood screening and would probably re-do the screening every few months unless I particularly trusted them.

Honestly, I'm not sure how my DH would feel about it, but I'd convince him to do donor milk. When I feel super strongly about something, I can usually talk him into it. This is one that I would work hard to get his buy-in.

cacasey1981 11-27-2010 01:38 AM

DDC crashing - after my son was born I told my DH how to get onto my breastfeeding communities to get help looking for donor milk. We both feel that breast milk is very important and it they are willing to submit to blood testing I'd do it.

LisaAnne 11-27-2010 03:46 AM

Tracy-I think I would, too. The benefits of bm are so extensive. I'm with everyone else-get a blood test. Good luck!

hohaas 11-27-2010 06:43 AM

I would totally do it. I was gonna donate my milk after my 2nd DD but ended up giving it to my cousin.

miraclebabysmama 11-27-2010 08:19 AM

I agree with the other mamas, I would do it. I donated to my friend once. She went back to work and was having a hard time keeping up with pumping enough, and her daycare was WASTING milk!! So when her daycare was closed one week, I watched her baby and just used my extra milk I had pumped so she could build a stash. It actually worked wonders for her, because she was no longer stressed about how much milk she "needed" to pump, she was able to produce and pump A LOT more. Her hubby couldn't look me in the eye for a while and was a little weirded out by the idea (I think because thinking about "my milk" made him think about where milk comes from, which in turn made him think about my b00bs!! :giggle: ) but he went along with it because she wanted it for her baby.

I wish I lived close enough to you. I'd donate mine to you in a heartbeat. :hugs:

kannondicarpo 11-27-2010 09:40 AM

I agree with everyone else here. I would do it.

melilo 11-27-2010 01:17 PM

I'd definitely do it. I wouldn't want to use formula. Breastmilk is just so awesome. Especially after the recent recall, you never know who might screw it up at the factory...

bradcher 11-27-2010 01:35 PM

Yes yes Yes