Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   2010 Due Daters (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Infant Eczema? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1120441)

WhiteRockMom 12-06-2010 05:54 AM

Infant Eczema?

Does anyone have experience with infant eczema? I think Duncan has it all over his face. He has an oozy, red, in some places crusted, and seemingly itchy rash all over his face :cry:

I have no idea what to do!! DH wants to scrub his little face and get all the crusty bits off but this just makes it more oozy and more red. I hate the way it looks and he must feel awful. I tried Aveeno baby eczema lotion but I dont think it was doing anything. Last night DH scrubbed his poor little face and put baby oil on it.

At our two month checkup the Dr didnt seem too concerned about and it mentioned that we could use a barrier cream or baby oil on his face.

I am going to call the dr office today and see if we can get an apt but any advice would be great.

Thanks

CWHmama 12-06-2010 06:13 AM

Re: Infant Eczema?

My ODS had eczema pretty bad at about that age. Same oozy red rash, all over his body, head to toe. He was 3 months old when we started using prescription meds. You're right, DO NOT scrub at it! That will only irritate the skin more! You can try hydrocortisone plus a thick cream twice a day, we used Eucerin before the Rx. We also used Cetaphil liquid to bathe him. That helped, but the Rx was what made the difference. Triamcinolone (mild steroid), Vanicream (heavy moisturizer) plus Cetaphil finally cleared it up. Once we got it under control, we just did the Vanicream 2x daily. When he'd start to flare, we used a tiny bit of the steroid to keep ahead of it. We also switched to fragrance free detergent for everyone, he only wore 100% cotton clothing and we tried to keep him from scratching. He used to rub his face on my shoulder or the floor when it got bad :( At times we had to give him a bit of Benedryl so he could get relief. The good news is he outgrew it by a year old and his skin looks great now at 3.5.

Jaxence 12-06-2010 08:12 AM

They do outgrow it, but if you're going to get a doctors apt then go see a dermatologist...I had to use RX on my ODS too..The only thing that kept it away was an all natural lotion based heavily in cocoa butter...The RX can be pricey (I think we spent almost $100 for the small tube of steroid cream with insurance) Either way it'll clear up, just keep it moiturized, and beware of heavily scented lotions, baby wash, or detergents...In fact make sure you don't let his face rub your shoulder unless you use the unscented stuff too...Use a burp rag between him and your clothes...Infant Eczema can also be caused by a food intolerance so cut out dairy, wheat, and eggs for a couple days and reintroduce them one at a time...My ODS was sensitive to scented anything and eggs...I don't know which caused the problem, but I was careful using either around him...He grew out of it by about 3, though the average age is 2...

HTH

WhiteRockMom 12-06-2010 08:28 AM

Thanks ladies. I'm just so sad I let DH scrub him so much :cry: It was pretty oozy this morning when he woke up at 4AM. Now its dried and must be really itchy. He rubs his face on my shoulder and constantly rubs his little face. Its not yet 8AM here so I put some more baby oil on it and that calmed him down (since thats all I have).

Once the drug store opens (and DH gets up with DD) I am going to go to the store and get some hydrocortisone, eucerin, and unscented detergent. Its mostly on his face but I will switch detergents (we use Tide) for him. I'll let it go for a day and if it doesnt look any better I am taking him to the DR.

Since I dont BF I dont think it would be a food allergy although I'm not sure. He has been throwing up in the evenings as well. But its only with his last bottle :headscratch: and has been happening for the last 3-4 nights.

My poor little man :cry:

sjebillings 12-06-2010 09:07 AM

my DD has bad eczema and adding a humidifier to her room has helped. cover with vaseline when it is still damp after the bath to hold the moisture in. and lots of hugs!

Jaxence 12-06-2010 11:03 AM

It's not likely a food allergy then, but he might be sensitive to something in his formula...Though the throwing up could be unrelated...It can take weeks for infant eczema to clear up, even with the creams..And then he may have flare-ups throughout the first couple years of his life anyways...I like the idea of a humidifier in his room since it can also just be caused from a lack of moisture...The toughest part of infant eczema is it has so many causes, and each cause needs to be treated a different way, but it's so tough to determine what your cause may be...That's where the RX comes in handy...
I'm sensitive to the chemicals used in most lotions so I would try something more naturally based. A previous person mentioned Cetaphil...That's what m dermatologist recommended for ODS too...It's a good one too...And worth trying...

WhiteRockMom 12-06-2010 09:14 PM

I bought some cetaphil barrier cream this morning and its been working great. However, upon further investigation (DH mentioned DS was swollen) it looks like he had a reaction to the baby oil!

I found this LINK. :yuck: Long story short... mineral oil can ask like a plastic coating on the skin which can cause severe allergic reactions. I will be reading ingredients alot more closely now. I bought some eurcerin too and one of its ingredients is mineral oil... too bad DD chewed on the bottle or I could have returned it... into the trash it goes!

I'm still going to take him in and have the Dr take a look.

Thanks for all the advice ladies! I can always count on the diaperswappers mamas!

dragondance 12-10-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteRockMom (Post 11792405)
Thanks ladies. I'm just so sad I let DH scrub him so much :cry: It was pretty oozy this morning when he woke up at 4AM. Now its dried and must be really itchy. He rubs his face on my shoulder and constantly rubs his little face. Its not yet 8AM here so I put some more baby oil on it and that calmed him down (since thats all I have).

Once the drug store opens (and DH gets up with DD) I am going to go to the store and get some hydrocortisone, eucerin, and unscented detergent. Its mostly on his face but I will switch detergents (we use Tide) for him. I'll let it go for a day and if it doesnt look any better I am taking him to the DR.

Since I dont BF I dont think it would be a food allergy although I'm not sure. He has been throwing up in the evenings as well. But its only with his last bottle :headscratch: and has been happening for the last 3-4 nights.

My poor little man :cry:

Huh, I wonder if that's why my eczema-y little guy would rub his face all over my shoulder/chest, too. :hugs::hugs::hugs: Our pedi recommended Cetaphil, I think, plus the steroid cream I need to pick up tomorrow. :hugs: again!

VeganCupcake 12-10-2010 09:25 PM

Mama, I'm DDCC, but even if he's formula fed, it can definitely be a food sensitivity. Dairy is probably the most common culprit for infant eczema, with soy being a close second, and most regular infant formulas are either dairy- or soy-based.

It is not an easy road, but it is such a relief when your baby's skin starts to clear--I have been there with my DD. We tried creams and while hydrocortisone would clear it up temporarily, I was uncomfortable using it for long periods of time because it can thin the skin. Nothing else really made a difference until I made some dietary changes.

If he's on a dairy-based formula, can you try him on a formula that is soy-based or vice versa? It takes a couple of weeks to see improvement, actually, so give it a bit of time. If neither of those changes work, then you might want to try an elemental formula that is neither dairy nor soy.

amandajiggles 12-10-2010 10:06 PM

I can't tell you what is causing it.. but DD had a sever case of it a while back. We used the Hydrocortizone cream and a super thick prescription moisturizer after every bath. The allergist said to limit her bath time and keep the water cooler than usual. We also gave her a few Aveeno Oatmeal Baths... that was the saviour in all of it. Her skin came out looking brand new. Good luck!