Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Can I fight this? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112064)

allye 03-12-2007 03:31 PM

Can I fight this?

Okay.
As some of you know, I have been holding off on Kailani's 6 month vax because of the reaction she had to the last one - (four month). Both of her little legs went a dark purple - and no one could figure out why.

So I explained this to our family support worker - and they inturn told me I cannot ignore her vaccinations, that she HAS to be vaccinated. I explained to them I refuse to vax her because of the most recent reaction, and I have my DH to back me up on this.

Anyways... I asked them to break up the vaccine as they said could happen, and I have read on several forums that you can break them up. They said they don't do such a thing, and she'd have to be vaccinated period.

Well today I get a message from my family support worker, telling me they set up an appointment for her shots tomorrow afternoon, and IF I don't vax her they are going to report me to Child Protection for "neglecting her basic needs"

WTH????
How can they do this. She is my child, I have the right to say no!
What can I do??? :cry:

ravenonyx 03-12-2007 03:38 PM

Re: Can I fight this?

what is a family support worker?

/not in canada

sharleen (DCDiapers) 03-12-2007 03:40 PM

YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY NO!

I vaxed my first up to and including the 6 month (all delayed though) and from there I decided not to vax him anymore because of the changes soon after the vax.
My second has his 4 month vaxes and my third I am NOT vaxing at all.

I do not want to start any debates on vax or not to vax, but for us, we fee it is the right decission.
I did have many calls from the health unit, but now I think they get the picture that Im not vaxing.

If you feel that she should not have the vax... then it IS YOUR RIGHT to protect your child from something harmful. (in which her case could be due to her reactions)
Vaxes may not be as harmful to other children, but if yours has a reaction then dont do it.

Here is my opinion.... peanuts are deadly for some, but good for others, some have mild reactions and others have more severe. I would not give peanuts to my child if they had a reaction the last time I gave it to him KWIM?
Its really up to you, and YES I believe you Can fight it.
(all this coming from a Canadian mama, who may have different rights than others) :goodvibes:

singlemomto3 03-12-2007 03:43 PM

If i were you, i think you should tell them that its against your moral/religious values to put her though that. What is the family support worker, sounds like they are not on the same page, if they are voluntary, get rid of them asap.

allye 03-12-2007 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenonyx (Post 819966)
what is a family support worker?

/not in canada

Basically a family support worker helps you through stress, communication, that sort of thing. IF you do something they don't like, they work for child protection and can report you./

sharleen (DCDiapers) 03-12-2007 03:54 PM

here are a few links.....

I am not saying don't vax, but here is another side of vaxines, that I found.

Again, Not wanting to start debates, as they may be fine for some, but not for others :goodvibes:
http://www.healing-arts.org/children...es-mercury.htm
http://www.thinktwice.com/sids.htm

ummmm I have a bunch more linds that are a bit more two sided, but I need dh to give me the password for my favorites LOL. I guess when I re-set the cumputer it set a password :headscratch:
Anyways.

Do what you think is best for the little one, not the Drs. Whether it be vaxing or not. IT IS YOUR DESISION.

singlemomto3 03-12-2007 03:59 PM

Can you get rid of the workers or do you have to have them?

amandaev 03-12-2007 03:59 PM

Are you in canada? Here, in Colorado I can downlaod an exemption form and have it notorized and give it to anyone who even wants to give me greif about it. Then they have to shut their mouth. No one can force you to do anything to yur child that you dot want done. YOU ARE being a fit mother by protecting your daughter from further reactions. I'm sure she had DTP done at 4 months and one reaction to the DTP is stiffness of legs and bruising. I know you can break up the MMR, most of the time you have to buy a vile of each yourself from the manufacturer I beleive. I would research if you can do the DTP. The DTP is one that is only 60% affective and has the worst side affects in my opinion of the research I've done. Go with your gut. That's what a mother's instinct is all about, your gut feelings.

allye 03-12-2007 04:02 PM

Yup im in Canada.
I just spoke to my social worker, (before they could get to her hah!) and she said to take my daughter to our family doctor first. See what he says and go from there.
She even said Kailani might have had an allergic reaction to a vaccine so to wait... :)
Yay I have someone on my side!

JustAugust 03-12-2007 04:07 PM

I'm fairly certain that they cannot FORCE you to vaccinate. Especially if the poor baby had a reaction that scary.

It would make me nervous, but I'd fight it. What can they do? Threaten to take her away? But no judge would let them since you're not endangering or neglecting her. :hugs: That's got to be a scary thing to go through.