Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Good for you meal a family will eat!!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112125)

kimsclothkids 03-12-2007 06:27 PM

Good for you meal a family will eat!!!

I need some ideas for some recipes! I have a family that is not trying to lose weight and loves to eat. I am a mama that is trying to lose weight and loves to eat too. I thought that it would be good to give some ideas on what you cook for a family that will help you lose the weight but DH won't say "Ok, this is your dinner, now what are you cooking for us!":yuck: I am sure you all know what I mean!! So give me some ideas! DH is taking me out for our anniversary in June (28th). He won't tell me where but says to pack a swim suit and I need to lose quite a bit so I can do just that!! Thanks mamas~:headscratch:

football_cheer_mom 03-13-2007 06:01 PM

Re: Good for you meal a family will eat!!!

:popcorn:

MamaEli 03-21-2007 03:39 PM

:popcorn:
But I probably shouldn't be munching on a bag of popcorn if I'm trying to loose weight! :laugh:

What do you like? How do you cook? How much TIME do you have? That's my big issue since going back to work..haven't had time to grocery shop and we've been on fast food overload. blech.

momto4monkeys 03-21-2007 03:42 PM

hey when in your anniversery mine is june 28th going on 10yrs this june

kaspears17 03-22-2007 12:52 PM

We have the same issue, but sort of in reverse. My DH has to maintain a certain weight that is hard with his body type and muscle mass. so about every 2 months he "diets." Basically, he makes a bunch of chicken and through out the week we use the chicken for different meals, such as

monday, we will have fajitas, but really, it's grilled chicken, cilantro, tomatoes, onions, (whatever veggies we have) and salsa on corn tortillas - stay away from sour cream and guac- a couple slices of avacodo are okay because it's a "good fat".

tuesday we will have diced grilled chicken with rice and broccoli (stirfry style) with some soy sauce. we even use chopsticks which makes it fun for the kiddos.

Wed. DH will have chick salad and make "kiddo sides" like mac-n-chees and greenbeans or something.

Thursday we have chicken sandwiches - DH forgoes the bread and has his on lettuce and makes home fries for the kiddos.

It generally works out pretty well, and teh different sauces kind of hide the fact that you are having chicken every day. WE, me and DH, dont' really use a lot of sauces, more spices to add flavor without the fat. Good luck and have fun!!

kugrinic 03-22-2007 01:18 PM

Im not trying to spam myself I swear but I will tell you we eat Wildtree almost everynight because it taste like bad for you food and its actually good for you. Like last night I made chicken scampi over rice and DH and AJ were happy! We BBQ with it a lot as well, yea pretty much its what we have almost every night. Its simple enough for me I work FT, so thats that.

kissy 03-22-2007 05:03 PM

We made something different I don't know what to call it but we took ground turkey and whole wheat flat out bread I put light mayo in mine but my dh put ketchup and my son too then we used lettuce and tomatoes and any other fresh veggies then a little part skim mozarella shredded. It was soo good my son loved it. We also make "spaghetti" with organice spaghetti sauce, turkey, and organic spiral noodles they loved that too. I add veggies ( i.e. succhini, shredded carrots, onion, green pepper) into my spaghetti sauce and meat too. HTH

sheliak 03-22-2007 11:34 PM

I know what you mean dh wants a big home cooked meal here also and i to am wanting to lose weight:laugh: I am in need of advise to
:banghead:

LMAugustine 03-23-2007 07:09 AM

Have you chose a diet?
Like South beach, atkins, etc.?
They usually have cookbooks to go with those diets and the meals are pretty good. My sister does south beach and follows her cookbook and the website (which offers meals) and they taste great. Some of the things her boys don't like, well don't even want to try, like tofu. But she makes them try it and if they don't like it they have to make their own PB & J sandwiches. (They're old enough). As for her hubby, well he needs the diet as well. But if he did complain she'd tell him to make his own d*mn food. :D

Radish4ever 03-23-2007 11:12 AM

Here are my ideas............. Start slowly so that this will be a lifestyle change and not a fad diet.... Choose healthier alternatives to your normal foods - whole grain instead of white bread......... light cheese instead of the normal stuff........ lean meats instead of regular, etc.

ALSO - something that we've been doing is filling up half of our dinner plates with fruits and/or vegetables............ and eating those FIRST. lol DH and I anyway. We still feel satisfied with our meals, but we are eating healthier and getting more fruits, veggies, fiber, and whole grains!